YA Warriors Book Club discussion

The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1)
This topic is about The Wrath and the Dawn
Book Pick of the Month > The Wrath and The Dawn BOOKTALK!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra Montgomery (amontgomeryauthor) | 80 comments Mod
Once you've finished the book, come here to discuss it with your fellow YA Warriors! Spoilers are totally allowed, so it's probably a good idea to avoid this topic until you've finished the book haha.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this book earlier this year and have a review of it on my BookTube channel => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKkAr...

Generally, I did enjoy it and gave it a 3 star rating, but for the first book in a duology (I don't believe it's supposed to be a trilogy or a series?) I think it fell flat. I was left with too many questions and the magic in the book didn't have any kind of explanation, it was just convenient.

My biggest question of all though that still bugs me to this day: What happened to her little sister?! Where is she even?? Because she just kind of disappeared >.>

royaevereads | 11 comments Yessss that convenient magic :/ And my goodness you're so right Emielia, I completely forgot about her sister until you pointed that out hahahaha.

message 4: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Emielia wrote: "I read this book earlier this year and have a review of it on my BookTube channel => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKkAr...

Generally, I did enjoy it and gave it a 3 star rating, but for the ..."

Since I DNFed the book, what do you guys mean with the magic system? I only got 150 pages in, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts haha

message 5: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Roya Eve wrote: "Yessss that convenient magic :/ And my goodness you're so right Emielia, I completely forgot about her sister until you pointed that out hahahaha."

Hahahaha the sister doesn't show up in the book again?! No way!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Shazi's father gets this books and starts using its magic for one and it's suggested that Shazi has this same power in her but it's never expanded upon and the system of the magic is never explained other than a scapegoat way to explain plot holes and prolong the story...

And yeah, the sister is never talked about again after the father gets the book from his library xD

message 7: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Oh. I knew that then haha I knew he took the book to start studying magic, and that Khalid's old tutor (forgot his name) said Shazi had the ability even though she didn't realize it. Are those really the only mentions in the entire book?!

Hahahahaha oh my god

laura (bookies & cookies) (lauradonohue) Ali wrote: "Emielia wrote: "I read this book earlier this year and have a review of it on my BookTube channel => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKkAr...

Generally, I did enjoy it and gave it a 3 star rati..."

Awww, you DNF? This makes me sad, but can I know your reasons? I feel blinded by my love for this book and want to hear opposing POVs so I, too, can be critical without blind adoration lol.

message 9: by laura (bookies & cookies) (last edited Mar 10, 2016 04:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

laura (bookies & cookies) (lauradonohue) I made a YouTube review, also, when I read the book last month and I really loved it. https://youtu.be/0tkxRaLMm1c.

The 1st 4 minutes of the video are spoiler free, but after that I flail around a ton, and it was my favorite to edit.

Yeah, the magic element was really weakly included in the story for how much an impact it has on the finale of this book.

message 10: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Laura wrote: "Ali wrote: "Emielia wrote: "I read this book earlier this year and have a review of it on my BookTube channel => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKkAr...

Generally, I did enjoy it and gave it a..."

For whatever reason, I just couldn't get into the story. It didn't feel like there was any kind of tension, or excitement, to the plot. Maybe its because I knew the story of 1,001 nights going in, but I knew Shazi wouldn't be killed by Khalid, so there was no tension there. And then Khalid just fell in love with her out of nowhere, so there was no tension with regards to the love interest. It just kind of...floated along. And even the way Shazi "denied her feelings for Khalid" was so typical I knew she was falling in love with him, so there was no romantic tension there either. I know there's some plot build up with Tariq's character with trying to overthrow Khalid or whatever, but since I don't know his character, I didn't really care what he did. The sequences with his POV just bored me.

I guess the best way I can say describe my lack of interest in the plot was that there was no build-up, action, romance, or otherwise, in the first 150 pages, so I felt no need or desire to continue.

None of the characters really stood out to me as very strong characters, either. Like...I got a sense for them, kind of, but I never felt attached to any of them.

And I'm not saying any of this to be mean :X if you like the story then I think that's fantastic, it just wasn't my cup of tea haha

laura (bookies & cookies) (lauradonohue) Emielia wrote: "I read this book earlier this year and have a review of it on my BookTube channel => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKkAr...

Generally, I did enjoy it and gave it a 3 star rating, but for the ..."

Emielia, I just watched your video! I should have done my research and known that they speak Hindi, not Arabic, in the book, and I feel so insensitive, gaaah. I can fix it with an annotation, but I need to be better prepared for my videos. I really like your buzz word concept to break down the book. For me, the unanswered questions made me even more interested in the future installments, though I worry a bit about time and space to get through all of the unresolved problems : rebuilding the city, Khalid's uncle, Shazi and Khalid's separation, Shazi's magic/her father's magic, the magic carpet, Despina's pregnancy... ok we actually have quite a bit to tie up in the next book, but I'm so excited for it.

message 12: by Sophia (last edited Mar 10, 2016 07:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sophia Welsh | 7 comments Ali wrote: "Laura wrote: "Ali wrote: "Emielia wrote: "I read this book earlier this year and have a review of it on my BookTube channel => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKkAr...

Generally, I did enjoy it..."

Ali, I totally agree with you. While I did finish the book, it was more out of pure stubbornness to find out what happened!

Along with lack of any type of tension, the pacing was just all over the place. You know the story of the turtle and rabbit who race? And in cartoon versions you see how far the rabbit is going, then the screen pans back over turtle and he's only moved an inch? That's what the pacing was like. We'd see some thing in the castle move quickly and frivolously along while the big plot points, such as Shazi's dad's magic arc moving at a snails pace. We'd see him in one chapter, then a dozen chapters later we'd see him again and almost nothing has moved forward. Same with Tariq. The author would give us something only to ignore it for way too many chapters. Shazi is told she has magic in her? Doesn't even come up again until the end of the book? If someone told you you were magical don't you think that would be a big deal to you? I mentioned to Emielia before how this book reads like the author really wanted to make a duology, but didn't have enough material, so stretched the big plot points thin.

I agree that I did not get the romance. Shazi basically says "I thought he would be cruel, but instead he's just impassive...my treacherous heart!" Like...he didn't do anything?? He just sat there with his arms crossed like a grumpy old man?

Things I DID like though were the vivid descriptions. The settings, clothes, foods, etc were just lovely. That scene when Shazi finds all the letters Khalid wrote to the dead girls' families? Heartbreaking. But that was really the only time in the whole book something really hit me emotionally, and it was towards the end.

The book picked up for me in the last 150 pages so I'll probably still read the sequel when it comes out.

Sushi ♥ (sushixreads) Laura wrote: "Emielia wrote: "I read this book earlier this year and have a review of it on my BookTube channel => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKkAr...

Generally, I did enjoy it and gave it a 3 star rati..."

They speak Arabic in the book, not Hindi.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Sushi wrote: "Laura wrote: "Emielia wrote: "I read this book earlier this year and have a review of it on my BookTube channel => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKkAr...

Generally, I did enjoy it and gave it..."

Really? I remember looking up some terms and their etymology ended up being Hindi and since it's a fairly popular language in not only the Middle East, but in the world, I didn't think twice. Maybe some terms in the Arabic language are the same in Hindi or vice versa?

I definitely could be wrong so excuse my ignorance, but either way I thought it was a lovely touch to the book!

royaevereads | 11 comments Some of the words in the glossary were Farsi too. I think Ahdieh used words and names from a few different languages, not just one? Agree that it was a nice addition :)

Sushi ♥ (sushixreads) Emielia wrote: "Sushi wrote: "Laura wrote: "Emielia wrote: "I read this book earlier this year and have a review of it on my BookTube channel => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKkAr...

Generally, I did enjoy ..."

I speak Hindi which is why I was able to identify that the language wasn't Hindi but yes some words in Hindi and Arabic are similar :) I definitely agree though! It was a great way to make the book diverse :)