The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Important Items > Nominations for the March/April 2016 group read are now open: Scandinavian crime fiction, mystery or thrillers:

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Mar 05, 2016 08:28AM) (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8555 comments Mod
It is time again to nominate another book for the next group read. The theme this month is Scandinavian crime fiction/mystery/thrillers. I'm providing a list of authors you may not nominate, since we've read them in the past, but there are plenty of other authors out there from which to choose.

The list:

Jussi Adler-Olsen
Jo Nesbo
Camilla Lackberg
Arnaldur Indridason
Stieg Larsson
Henning Mankell

A word or two about nominations and voting:

1. As has been the case for as long as I can remember, if your nomination wins the poll vote, you will be the discussion leader. Do NOT nominate a book if you do not wish to be the moderator.

2. When a book gets to the poll, please please please do not vote on it if you have no intention of reading it. This month's selections are a good example of why -- very few people who voted actually showed up for the discussions. That is extremely unfair to the people who voted for the next two books on the poll. Bottom line: If you don't want to read it, don't vote for it.

3. This is not the place for authors to promote their own work.

4. If the book is in a series, it might be wise to start with book #1 rather than somewhere mid-series.

All right then, I think we're covered. Have fun, and pick some good books!

message 2: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 10 comments The girl with the dragon tattoo

message 3: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Sonya wrote: "The girl with the dragon tattoo"

It's by Stieg Larsson -- do you want to make another selection??

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

If you need help getting past the big names in Scandinavian crime that we've already read,

Denmark : http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/Loc...

Norway: http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/Loc...

Sweden: http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/Loc...

Finland: http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/Loc...

message 5: by Tracie (new)

Tracie | 5 comments I'm traveling alone by Samuel Bjork

message 6: by Sheila (last edited Mar 05, 2016 08:05AM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I've got a question about this leading discussion thing. How does that work exactly? I haven't been active in the group but would like to be more so but I have never led a discussion before and find that somewhat intimidating. Also does the book need to be first in the series?

I would like to nominate 1222 (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #8) by Anne Holt 1222 by Anne Holt

message 7: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Trae wrote: "I'm traveling alone by Samuel Bjork"

I'm Traveling Alone

message 8: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Sheila wrote: "I've got a question about this leading discussion thing. How does that work exactly? I haven't been active in the group but would like to be more so but I have never led a discussion before and fin..."

Two things:

1. 1222 is #8 -- can you nominate the first book instead, since this is a series?

2. Being a discussion leader isn't like running a book group. You don't have to come in with a list of questions or topics. Normally that person comes in, introduces himself/herself, maybe comments on what other readers have posted, makes sure people are being courteous or not leaking spoilers, that sort of thing. It is really just someone who can keep the discussion going as people are reading.

message 9: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Thanks Nancy. I better withdraw my nomination. Sorry

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex | 1 comments The dogs of Riga

message 11: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Alex wrote: "The dogs of Riga"

The Dogs of Riga is by Henning Mankell, who is on the list of authors not to nominate, so can you try another author?

message 12: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenliang) I am currently reading a book by Asa Larsson. It is the first in the Rebecka Martinsson series and it won a Sweden’s Best First Crime Novel Award.

So I recommend Sun Storm by Asa Larsson Sun Storm (Rebecka Martinsson, #1) by Åsa Larsson .

message 13: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments I nominate Detective Inspector Huss by Helen Tursten. Takes place in Goteborg, Sweden - I've wanted to read this for a while!

message 14: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments On another note, I like that we're nominating books with a geographical focus!

message 15: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Suzy wrote: "On another note, I like that we're nominating books with a geographical focus!"

It's good to branch out once in a while.

message 17: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments Nancy wrote: "Suzy wrote: "On another note, I like that we're nominating books with a geographical focus!"

It's good to branch out once in a while."

I like that it creates a focus. Thanks for the links to Stop You're Killing Me. I'll add the one for Iceland. http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/Loc...

message 18: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (sbrittig) | 47 comments I nominate The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbøl. My library actually has the book!

message 19: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Suzy wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Suzy wrote: "On another note, I like that we're nominating books with a geographical focus!"

It's good to branch out once in a while."

I like that it creates a focus. Thanks for the..."

LOL -- I spaced on Iceland! Thanks.

message 20: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments Sherrie wrote: "I nominate The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbøl. My library actually has the book!"

I really liked that book - almost nominated it :)

message 22: by Mihail (new)

Mihail (mihaildz) | 6 comments So I think it's time to make a rule: "Before you nominate something, read message no.1"

message 23: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Mihail wrote: "So I think it's time to make a rule: "Before you nominate something, read message no.1""

Actually, in this case, read the paragraph before rule #1!

message 24: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Sherrie wrote: "I nominate The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbøl. My library actually has the book!"

The Boy in the Suitcase

message 25: by Priyanka (new)

Priyanka Madan I would like to nominate " Journey under the midnight sun" by Keigo Higashino

message 26: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

This month is crime from Scandinavia, although I will keep Japan in mind for the future.

message 27: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Mar 08, 2016 03:34AM) (new)

So far:

1. I'm Traveling Alone, by Samuel Bjork
2. Sun Storm, by Asa Larsson
3. Detective Inspector Huss, by Helene Tursten
4. Echoes from the Dead, by Johan Theorin
5. The Boy in the Suitcase, by Lena Kaaberbol
6. Broken, by Karin Fossum
7. Unwanted, by Kristina Ohlsson
8. One, Two ... He Is Coming For You, by Willow Rose
9. Helsinki Homicide: Darling, by Jarko Sippila
10. Cold Hearts, by Gunnar Staalesen.

message 28: by Harold (new)

Harold Norman | 12 comments Interesting category. I'll nominate Broken by Karin Fossum

message 31: by Sophie (last edited Mar 07, 2016 02:12AM) (new)

Sophie | 9 comments Great theme. I've never read Scandinavian mystery, so I am eagar to start.

message 32: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Sherrie wrote: "I nominate The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbøl. My library actually has the book!"
Good idea, on my to-read list for a long time.

message 33: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments How about Helsinki Homicide: Darling. Another one which has lingered on my to-read list far too long and sounds interesting. First in a series!

message 34: by Merissa (new)

Merissa Racine Hi. I'm new to a book group. Is there a length of time one needs to read the book? Thanks,

message 35: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Merissa wrote: "Hi. I'm new to a book group. Is there a length of time one needs to read the book? Thanks,"

No time limit, really -- we leave the discussion threads open all of the time.

message 36: by Merissa (new)

Merissa Racine Nancy wrote: "Merissa wrote: "Hi. I'm new to a book group. Is there a length of time one needs to read the book? Thanks,"

No time limit, really -- we leave the discussion threads open all of the time."

Thanks, Nancy!

message 39: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Mar 08, 2016 03:35AM) (new)

Niyati wrote: "Nemesis - Jo Nesbø"

Nesbo's on the don't-choose-from list. Sorry, Niyati.

message 40: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Just an FYI, and a reminder: here are the authors that you should avoid this time around while nominating:

Jussi Adler-Olsen
Jo Nesbo
Camilla Lackberg
Arnaldur Indridason
Stieg Larsson
Henning Mankell

message 41: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

All righty, we have ten nominations and that is a nice number to take to the poll. So I think we'll stop there, and I'll make the poll ready for voting tomorrow.

Thank you for your suggestions!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.