The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2016 > 20.8 - Nickels & Dimes: SpiderMac's Task: Making It Worth Watching

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 04, 2016 05:27PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17398 comments Mod
20.8 - Nickels & Dimes: SpiderMac's task: Making It Worth Watching

"One day your life will pass before your eyes.
Make it worth watching."

My partner and I recently moved back to the states after working in northern Thailand for two years. Moving to a country half way around the world with three huge dogs, besides being somewhat of a circus, was in itself something to be checked off our bucket lists. Since Spring is about growth, this task celebrates new experiences and attacking our bucket lists.

This is a one book task. Choose one book that fits one of the options below.
Required: State which option you used when you post.

Option 1: As a nature and animal lover, I was in heaven in Thailand. From close encounters with gibbons, snakes, and incredibly cool insects to wild orchids and banana trees growing in our front yard, I had bucket list checks right and left. One stand out check off my bucket list was volunteering and working with elephants at an amazing elephant rescue park.
---> To honor these magnificent creatures, please read a book with an elephant on the cover or with “nature” or “animals” as a main page genre (stand alone or embedded).
Required: Include the cover if that is the option you selected.

Option 2: Another check off my bucket list was going to a wat for a Buddhist monk blessing and getting a traditional bamboo Sak Yant tattoo from him.
---> In honor of the Buddhist monks of southeast Asia and the bright orange robes they wear, read a book from the Orange Prize list or Women's Prize list - Orange Prize post 2013(winners or nominees) at
Required: State on which page your book is found.

Option 3: Another bucket list check was full-on participation in Songkran. This is the celebration of the Thai New Year from April 13-15. Songkran starts out traditionally by visiting a temple or wat and pouring water on Buddha statues to wash away bad luck. Families pay reverence to ancestors and show respect by pouring water on their elders’ palms. And then there’s the water festival portion! Major streets close for city wide water fights. Everyone gets in the spirit and it lasts for three days. Old and young alike throw water balloons, shoot huge water guns, and throw buckets of ice water on parades of people. It is crazy and fun.
---> In honor of the fun loving Thai people, read a book that has “Buddha”, “festival", “balloon”, or “New Year” in the title or subtitle. “New Year” must be intact and plurals and possessives are ok. No other variations.

Option 4: What’s on your bucket list? Do you want to live on the moon or cook with Cat Cora? Maybe your dream is to learn to play the bagpipes, run a marathon, or visit Ireland. Go crazy and have fun with this one!
---> In honor of your dreams, select something from your bucket list and read a book about it. Nonfiction and fiction are both ok but your bucket list item must play a major role in or be the main theme of your book.
Required: State when posting your task what your bucket list item is and how it ties in with the book you read.

Example 1 – Before I die I want to learn to play the bagpipes and visit Scotland. I read Mary Queen of Scotland and The Isles This book is historical fiction and ties to my bucket list goal because it has the main page genre of Cultural>Scotland.

Example 2 – Before I die, I want to learn how to scuba dive. I want to see seahorses, turtles, sharks, and other sea creatures in their natural environment. I read Song for the Blue Ocean: Encounters Along the World's Coasts and Beneath the Seas It ties to my bucket list goal because it is a nonfiction book with adventure, politics, and ocean science.

message 2: by Cindy (last edited Apr 18, 2016 09:54AM) (new)

Cindy | 178 comments These books are approved.

Option 1 - cover
Min europeiska familj De senaste 54 000 åren by Karin Bojs

Option 1 - genre
The Fruit Hunters A Story of Nature, Adventure, Commerce, and Obsession by Adam Leith Gollner All I Want (Animal Magnetism, #7) by Jill Shalvis

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Reserved - These do not work.

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17398 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Great task! My husband grew up in Thailand and I've been over a couple times. It's an incredible place.

Could I have you verify The Fruit Hunters: A Story of Nature, Adventure, Commerce, and Obsession for Option 1, "Environment > Nature" as a genre?

Thank you!

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments We lived in a village outside of Chiang Mai and loved it, Cait. :)

Genre noted on this book. Looks like a fun read!

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1467 comments Please confirm All I Want for option #1 - "animals" as a main page genre (currently 8 users). Thanks.

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Genre noted. Enjoy! :-)

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1467 comments Thanks Cindy!

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 487 comments Would a mammoth for option 1 (elephant on cover)? Min europeiska familj De senaste 54 000 åren by Karin Bojs

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Paula wrote: "Would a mammoth for option 1 (elephant on cover)? Min europeiska familj De senaste 54 000 åren by Karin Bojs"

Interesting question, Paula! I went to a mod for advice on this one. She was kind enough to find this statement. "The common name elephant primarily refers to the living taxa, the modern elephants, but may also refer to a variety of extinct species, both within this family and in others." Based on this and because mammoths are in the Elephantidae family, I'm accepting this book for the task. Enjoy!

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 487 comments Cindy wrote: "Paula wrote: "Would a mammoth for option 1 (elephant on cover)? Min europeiska familj De senaste 54 000 åren by Karin Bojs"

Interesting question, Paula! I went to a mod for advice on this ..."

Thanks!

message 13: by Lola (new)

Lola | 287 comments Can I please get animals locked in for this book? Thank you!

Hall of Small Mammals: Stories

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Lorraine wrote: "Can I please get animals locked in for this book? Thank you!

Hall of Small Mammals: Stories"

Genre noted. :)

message 15: by Lola (new)

Lola | 287 comments Cindy wrote: "Lorraine wrote: "Can I please get animals locked in for this book? Thank you!

Hall of Small Mammals: Stories"

Genre noted. :)"

Thank you! :)