Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Headers...what the...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments In my first book, I was able to hire someone to do the headers for me. I'm ready to publish the paperback copy of my novella series, but don't have the money to hire someone this time. In other words...I'm lost.
I know how to put the headers in, found how to take it off the title page, but just found out a header is not supposed to be on the first page of a chapter, or on section breaks. I cannot figure this out. Anybody know some tricks to maneuvering the Word jungle??

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Moved to author help.

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments Christina wrote: "Moved to author help."

8-) Sorry...and thanks!

message 5: by Owen (last edited Mar 04, 2016 07:10PM) (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Shannon wrote: "In my first book, I was able to hire someone to do the headers for me. I'm ready to publish the paperback copy of my novella series, but don't have the money to hire someone this time. In other wor..."

If I understand your dilemma correctly, Word has settings for headers that allow for different headers and footers on odd and even pages and the first page of a section. The problem is where to find them. Also, section breaks can get tricky and frustrating.

What version of Word are you using?

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Quilter | 8 comments formatting in word can be a little tricky. especially for things like headers that you hardly every deal with. message me the details of what exactly you're trying to do and I can walk you through it

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments Hey, thank you guys! 8-)

message 8: by E.A. (new)

E.A. Turley (eaturley) | 70 comments Open your document in word, go to the top task bar and click on 'insert' (should be second from the left). Then on the far left-hand side, it has 'cover page', 'blank page' and 'page break'. Scroll down to page break, click it and it'll take you to the next page on your document. Which is how you ideally want to end and start a new chapter. (oh, if you put one in by mistake then you just click and hold to scroll down over the page and cut it)
There are lots of other things you can use on there too, so have a good look through them all. I always write in it. Good luck! x

message 9: by E.A. (new)

E.A. Turley (eaturley) | 70 comments Removing the headers.
Open word, go to top task bar. click on 'insert' scroll across to headers, >remove headers at the bottom of the drop down list.
Sorry Shannon, I forgot your main prob was with the headers... oops. Hope that has helped you a little? x