Challenge: 50 Books discussion

The Man in the High Castle
This topic is about The Man in the High Castle
Group Reads > March Group Read - The Man in the High Castle

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yulia (last edited Mar 17, 2016 10:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yulia Tsinko (yulnev) This is the thread for the March Group Read: The Man in the High Castle.

I will not invent any reading schedules as everyone has their own reading pace, but I will post my discussion questions around the middle of March. Feel free to post your comments/impressions as you read, but please hide spoilers.

UPDATE: I finally finished this book. It's definitely one of those that leave you scratching your head and wondering what on Earth did you just read. Having said that I really did like it. I find it fascinating that he has used the I-Ching to make all the decisions on major plot points.

So below are the points that I think are worth discussing. Feel free to comment on any or all of them=)

- Have you read PKD before and how did you come by his books? What were your impressions of him? Do you think this book is typical for him?

- How does this version of reality make you feel? What do you find the most offensive about it? Are there any improvements on our world, something that you wish we had now?

- What did you think of the ending? Did you feel like it left you hanging or did the ambiguity add to the depth of the book?

- What do you think about using I Ching for plot decisions? Does it add integrity to the book (since the book's characters use it as well)? Does it handicap the book?

- Did you find the plot characters convincing/likable? Does it matter here?

- I find that Frank Frink describes Juliana as shallow/materialistic. However, when I met her on the pages of the book, I didn't think she came off like that. What are your thoughts?

- PKD here discusses the role of authenticity/historicity in the value of art. For him, it's either both or one or the other that make an object valuable. In our time, I think neither are required, as mass produced objects can easily reach that status and quite a few artists embrace mass production of their art. Thoughts?

- Why do you think the version of the alternative reality in the Grasshopper differs from ours?

- Did anything else catch your attention?

message 2: by Carol, Group Read Organizer (new) - rated it 3 stars

Carol (kawie1) | 444 comments Mod
I've read a few bits after watching movies based on his work and one or two I've been given by friends. It's such a big body of work. This one I'd not heard of until it went up as a group suggestion and I'm enjoying it so far. I have an audio version so I'll speed through it.

My biggest impression was how different the movies where from his books, in particular Total Recall and Minority Report.

Yulia Tsinko (yulnev) Carol wrote: "I've read a few bits after watching movies based on his work and one or two I've been given by friends. It's such a big body of work. This one I'd not heard of until it went up as a group suggestio..."

That's also how I first found PKD - movies. I realized that a whole plethora of sci fi movies that I really liked were written by the same guy back in the 1950s. My mind was blown.

Since then I've read him on and off. I can't say that I love everything he writes but there is definitely something haunting about his work that I keep coming back to in my mind.

Let me know how this one goes as an audio book for you. I tried listening to it first, but couldn't do it and switched to paper. Too many foreign phrases and character descriptions that I wanted to come back to.=)

message 4: by Carol, Group Read Organizer (new) - rated it 3 stars

Carol (kawie1) | 444 comments Mod
Y wrote: "Carol wrote: "I've read a few bits after watching movies based on his work and one or two I've been given by friends. It's such a big body of work. This one I'd not heard of until it went up as a g..."
Yes it's very strange. I'll probably end up re-reading this one too.

Yulia Tsinko (yulnev) The discussion questions are up in the first post! I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Andrew (mr_andrew_c) | 139 comments I finally checked this book out from the library. Thoughts to follow.