Girls Only Book Club discussion

Challenges > March Challenge/Contest

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Haley (last edited Mar 04, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Okay!! So the winner of the contest genre is....Fantasy!!
Any body who wants to participate can!!!
The contest? Write a short story (maximum of 1,000 words and a minimum of 300 words!) that is in the fantasy genre. Everything else, you can do. Mix and match genres. Fan fiction.
As long as it is FANTASY!!!
The winner of the contest shall be chosen by you girls!!
Mods are able to write a short story as well because the winners are chosen by the members.
Rules:
1. Please no swearing.
2. Everything must be appropriate for ALL ages.
3. Post your stories on this thread.
4. Make up a title and post that and your name with your story.
5. Follow the word limit
6. One short story per person.

If you have any questions, ask them here!
The prize for the winner has yet to be decided. We will tell you as soon as possible.
Thanks and have fun writing your story!!! Can't wait to read them!!

message 2: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Steele | 3 comments Um, all ages, does that mean that it should be low on the action?

message 3: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Not necessarily, just don't make it overally violent or graphic. :)

message 4: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Steele | 3 comments Ok! Totally, over the top is one of my DNF in a book. xD

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Where do we post them? Here?

message 6: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I'm not sure actually...Haley?

message 7: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Gah! How am I supposed to keep it under 1,000 words? Lol.

Isabel of the Sea (oceangirlie) | 1375 comments Tidal Flame

One of my favorite places to be in the world is Sailor’s Cove because the sunrise is amazing to watch. Just the feeling of rising out of the ocean, starting a new, makes me feel like me taking my first step in the sand. Such a feeling of accomplishment and imagination of achieving any kind of dream. This morning, the water felt warm and silky on my blue scales. There was plenty of seaweed that washed up against the shore this morning to feed a whale. Sometimes I would take handfuls of seaweed and place them in all different parts of my hair. I pretend that I am a seaweed princess along with sand getting into the scalp of my nightfall black hair. It really does not bother me if I look like a mess, it is the fun that is important.
The cove walls are wet since the waves keep crashing on them but I think it makes it look magical. Sailor’s Cove is away from mortals in a place that cannot be seen with a naked eye. The place has an arch that gives the area some shade but does not pass as a cave. There are patches of land to walk on if I get tired of being in the water, mostly used for pacing across. The pool of water that covers the rest of the area is turquoise colored and looks amazing with my tail. Splashing my tail against the waves coming in is fun and sometimes I get splashed in the face. Maybe even get some sea foam in my mouth if I am lucky enough. I like to come to the cove in the morning to catch a glimpse of the sunrise and relax before I go to school.
Lucky enough for me, today is the last day of school for my senior year at Oceanside High School then it is off to college. But school is not my favorite place to be in the world compared to Sailor’s Cove. The name of the cove came from where my parents first met each other near the entrance. My mother was swimming below the waves when my father came into the cove with his small boat Hot Shot. As my mother surface the water looking beautiful with the ocean drops in her hair, my father and her locked eyes. That was the moment they fell in love and decided to meet each at the cove in the mornings to talk. When the time came to see that their relationship was forbidden, my parents took all the power they could into staying together. In my eyes, I was amazed to see that true love is real and could happen to anyone. Though I cannot just believe that my fish charming was going to wash upon the shore any day now.
The history of the loathing between mermaids and phoenix that began hundreds of years ago is a rather boring story to tell. To summarize, the phoenix wanted to build a kingdom along the Atlantic ocean but they are not able to touch water. If water comes in contact with their skin, they will lose their wings and in worse cases, die. The vice versa for the mermaids, such as me, if we touch fire. Taking such a daring mistake is not worth it for a mythical creature but I could be wrong.

message 9: by Melanie (last edited Mar 04, 2016 07:28PM) (new)

Melanie Kilsby (realitywriter) | 28 comments Title: No Surrender In The Highlands...

“Enough!” Cried the wind. It’s arms whirling as the trees bent back and forth. Obeying without word.
“I will not go! I will not give in.” She placed her weapon back into it’s sheath. Blood dripped from her lips as she grit her teeth. She was not going to back down. A fierce gust from the wind threw her forward and smashed her whole body into the dark black dirt. Her body hit with full force spreading both her legs and her arms apart. Her head twisted and cocked to one side. She could see his form coming through the storm. His essence alone, she detested. The black clouds whisked around him with thunderous crashes of light. So bright she blinked. She opened the small slit her eyes would allow her and the earth coated her mouth. She breathed out a low sound, unable to get a full gulp of air due to the utter pain her body was in.
“No. I will not give in.”
His hideous laughter causing her spine to want to curl. Though nothing happened, her lips turned up into a glorious smile. Beside her was one of her enemies soldiers. Dead. By her weapon. She was satisfied. She won the battle. A flash of light let out and bolted towards her. She tried to lift herself and run. She couldn’t. Before the Master’s enemy was close enough to her, the small thin slit allowing her to see, was now darkening around the corner’s of her gaze. Her eyes watered and her skin goose-bumped. Her Master’s enemy stepped beside her. She could sense his presence. She could feel the moisture of the clouds and the anger in the lightening. No one could deny, he was pure evil. But there was no comparison to her Master. The majestic beauty of His storms. How He controlled the waves of the oceans on this planet. How He ministered to the sea and the air and the animals. She would not deny His greatness. No, not to anyone. Even His enemy. She would stay true to Him, even if it meant her death. And then, her vision went completely black.
She was gone.

“Get rid of her!” A high shrieking sound similar to the screech of a guitar let out and the wind howled as if it was hurt.
“Master?” The air went cold. “I can not. She is still property of the—“
“NOW!” A shot of lightening let out and the wind quickly went to work swirling around her. It picked up her limp body. Her lifeless hair flung out from her. Her stained red warrior outfit clung to her still and represented the Kingdom she stood for and would die for. Her arm slung low with His signature ring on it. A complete circle made of one pure diamond, signed with His red signature. It sparkled and shined; cutting through the dark clouds, casting a red hue, while the rest of her continued to be flown out to where she came from, the Highlands.

A fiery chariot met the limp body that approached the edge of Highland territory. A fire blazed out from it and stopped the wind mid-flight.
“Who goes there?” A loud and strong male voice spat out, catching the wind by surprise. “Wind, what is the meaning of this?” The voice rumbled out.
Before wind could answer, the fiery chariot tore the body from its grip and blew up a wall of fire in front of wind so he could not enter the Highland territory. While the flame burned, the chariot carried the lifeless body towards the Kingdom. As if everyone could sense the loss of their knight, people started to surround the islands edge as the chariot approached. A song let out and a crash of voices entered the heaven’s. The Master knew. The land went into mourning. The chariot landed near the coast line. The giant men lifted her body onto the palms of their hands, carrying her towards their King, her Master and her Father.
Blood that dripped from her now dried and cracked lips, evaporated into small droplets reflecting the colour of a rainbow instead of the crimson red that streamed out from her. The giant men started now on the path that led her towards the palace. The road ladened with gold. Either side of the path was bright with green mossy grass. A vibrant contrast from the glowing yellow. The walk was long and the men’s arms began to slack as they came to the marble pillars. They entered into the centre, approaching the throne room. Seven headed men bowed their heads as the men carried her corps along the narrow path leading to the throne room.
Then, there He was. The King. All bowed. There knees bent, they laid her down.
Her body instantly lifted up into the air, as if levitating. But everyone knew whose hands held her.
“All of you today. In all the region of Highlands. This day, will be a memorial for Jasmine. Daughter of the King of all Kings. Fighter of all things Pure and Good. Defender of the Needy and Humble. May she be remembered. May all know she is loved and never surrendered in the Highlands.”
Instead of cheers. Instead of tears, for they never came in the Highlands. Music ran out. Joyous music. A table was set and all of the Kingdom joined to eat.
At the table, a scroll role out in front of them. On it, it read:
War has broke out in the Western region. We need a warrior against the Prince of Darkness. Send someone soon. Deliver us!
A fire broke above the table and spoke. “Who will be ready and willing?”
A boy stood tall to his feet.
“I will go. I will not surrender!”
The King smiled. “Equip him with the Spirit. He is ready. He will go!”
Loud, glorious music rang out and wafted towards the sky, warning its enemies.

message 10: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Yup! post em here!!

message 11: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Oh my fantastic fantasies!! Those two stories were super good, Ocean and Melanie!!!!!
I already know, and I haven't even seen the rest of the member's stories that that poll for the winner will be a hard on to chose.

message 12: by Salma (new)

Salma (louvrespaces) | 29 comments WINTER QUEEN
I stand at the foot of the huge gates and look up.Banished is the word.I have been banished for one simple mistake.Sighing,I pick up my bag and slowly retreat.
. . .
It's snowing as always.Being a winter fairy is not an excuse to be free from the cold so I put on my cloak.I suddenly miss home,my siblings,my friends...my mum.I don't want to be reminded of her expression-it broke my heart.
Latica is far from the capital city and I'm beginning to feel weary already.My wings are not developed enough to fly in the snow.

It's almost night time but the snow is over.I can fly a bit;hovering just above the ground but it's helpful.I look up and see light but it's far off.As I draw closer,I can hear cheering and music.I ran as fast as I can,not caring for the cold or wind-I want some warmth.
However,when I finally get there,the music and cheering ceases.There is not a single soul.The place is eerily quiet and on the ground I notice footsteps and blood heading to the woods.I hear a voice beckoning me to draw closer,follow the footprints.I don't want to,but I feel a push and I black out.
. . .
I'm running,far away from the woods but the voice is still calling.I look back and see a pack of wolves,ready...for what?
Before I can prevent it,I fall in a pit and...I open my eyes.I feel weak and my body hurts.Someone helps me get up but I don't see the person.
"What happened?"I manage to croak.
"We found you on the ground,unconscious.My son brought you home"A woman answers.She leaves my side and I take a look around.The walls are lined with shelves of different coloured books.Apart from those,there is a rounded table in the middle of the room.The woman appears to be a summer fairy,plump and beautiful.She sits at the table staring at me.
"Are you alright?"She asks obviously worried.
Before I can reply,I hear noise from outside the sunny room.The summer fairy goes to the door and says something to the people.When she comes back,she asks"Can I take you out?I want to show you something".
I nod once.She comes to me and helps me up.
. . .
The crowd is made up of summer fairies,short and tall,old and young.The woman fairy shouts
"I summoned you all hear to inform you about my findings on the winter fairy".She pauses,for the message to sink in.My head is whirling.It sank in alright."findings on the winter fairy?''What's that supposed to mean?
She continues''She is The One''.The crowd cheers.
I can't take it anymore.''What do you mean?''I ask the summer fairy.The fairy turns to me but without a word,she goes back in and returns with silver coated book.
"In here is a list of ancient prophecies,the latest being one of the Winter Queen''.
"I know that prophecy,but what has it got to do with me?"I retort.
But the fairy smiles and says something that nearly makes me laugh;
"You are The Winter Queen".

message 13: by Hanny (new)

Hanny (ohanna) | 340 comments Salma this story is GREAT!!! I would love to hear more.

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne Caitlin (annebcaitlin) | 4 comments I have a question
You said the limit is 1,000 words-- does that include characters?
And does the story have to wrap up at the end of the 1,000 words
And, do you do this every month? ;)
I think it'd be fun I'd love to try this more often, tho none of mine would be any good I have a hard time with short stories XD

message 15: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Kilsby (realitywriter) | 28 comments I'm not sure what the Mod will say but I assumed that the story would have to end at 1000 words. I didn't include character's in the word count...

message 16: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) It's fine if you don't include characters in the word count, we're not incredibly strict about the rules. You can do whatever you want as lonh as your conscious about the minimum and maximum, so if you want to do a partial story that's fine. :)

message 17: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) And no, we don't do this every month, but we can start to if people really want to continue. :)

message 18: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Yes, everything Tamara says is correct!!!

message 19: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Kilsby (realitywriter) | 28 comments Tamara wrote: "It's fine if you don't include characters in the word count, we're not incredibly strict about the rules. You can do whatever you want as lonh as your conscious about the minimum and maximum, so if..."
AAAaaaaahhhh! I totally wish I knew we could have done a partial story lol!

message 20: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) ;) Well, maybe next time. ;)

message 21: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) An Arrogant Hero
I fell backwards off the cliff.
Dekaton had a sword to my throat and I had no other choice.
I just hoped that she would arrive in time so I wouldn’t fall to my death even with my dramatic exit.
Luckily, I didn’t die and Sarina arrived in time. I landed on her back but Sarina did her best to make the landing as soft as possible with her smooth feathers.
While most people had dragons as their own pets, I had an eagle. And, not to be biased, Sarina was a lot better than any dragon I had even met.
Either way, I had a lot more important things to worry about. For one thing, Dekaton, almost just killed me. Dekaton, I should warn you, is the man who wants to rule the world, not so everyone can plant flowers and dance all day. No, he wants to make everyone his slaves.
I, luckily, am here to stop him.
Sarina and I have been flying across the country, searching for Dekaton, saving many lives, and, yes, becoming heroes.
Before I go on and try another stupid act to kill myself, I should introduce myself. My name is Arrow. Enough said. Now, you know my name which is good enough for now.
My age also shall be unknown so no matter your age, you will not feel like a little kid or an old person if you read this manuscript. I shall be all ages.
Anyway, back to the good stuff.
Dek1aton is trying to rule the world, people are becoming enslaved, and I am doing my best to be a hero. Got it.

Sarina and I fly for another couple miles into our lair.
“Home sweet home.” I sigh and practically roll off of Sarina to lie down. I am so tensed, I am like a bag of potatoes.
Immediately, I fall asleep. Usually I stay up to make sure everything is in order but today I don’t care.

What was wrong with me? I wake up with a groan and then immediately sit up. My hands are behind my tied up so tight that I already have blisters. I try to stand up but see that my feet are tied together as well. Who was here? My lair was secret. Sarina and I are the only ones who know about it. But now, I’m not so sure.
A man’s laughing turns my focus in a different direction. Dekaton was here.
“Well, well, well, if it isn’t the pretend hero, Arrow. I was sure that you would be harder to catch than this. You are supposed to be the hero of this world. It appears that I am the one to outmaneuver you today.”
“Dekaton, you won’t win.” I may say a few curse words at the end of that as I try to struggle out of my bonds but I won’t repeat that. Of course, I fail at my attempt to escape.
“I really was hoping to fight you today, man to man. That isn’t the case now. But, since I have you in my power, I will give you a chance to escape.”
“Oh, really, Dekaton, you really think that I would believe that you would let me escape. I must be hard of hearing right now.”
“Beg to me, Arrow. Beg to me and maybe I will let you escape.”
I laugh as he says the words. “Beg you, impossible.”
He puts unsheathes his sword and puts the tip to the ground. “I already have you in the kneeling now all you have to do is say the words.”
“You think too low of me,” I sigh and then raise my hands up, untied. “You thought that you small bonds would hold me down.” I reach into my boot to find my knife hidden there. “And, you didn’t even think to check my boots for hidden weapons. “You must think so low of me.”
Dekaton looks shocked so I take the chance to throw the knife. It miss the target,his arm, but at least the blade skims the flesh. Too bad that wasn’t my throwing knife. I would have hit where I was aiming.
He looks shocked and then smiles. His sword goes up and he lunges forward.
Great, now I have no weapons at hand. Oh well, I will have to use my resources.
“Sarina!” I call to her as I dodge the sword’s tip.
Sarina flies up to the entrance already with a sword in one of her claws. She flicks her sword claw open and throws the sword to me.
I jump to the ground and roll away from Dekaton and towards my own sword. Luckily, my aim was correct and I land just inches from the swords handle. Throwing it upwards I catch it.
Now, it was time for the real fight to begin.
Dekaton roars, raises his sword, and races towards me.
Just in time, I parry his attack.
“Offensive or defensive?” I ask sarcastically. “You seem to be closer to the offensive. What do you say?”
Dekaton growls at me and keeps going at me, strike after strike.
“Offensive it is.”
If it were up to me, I would go defensive so I guess I am lucky today.
Finally, after minutes of going back and forth, I decided to finish this battle. Yes, I wouldn’t finish my battle with Dekaton right now but I would someday.
I fake going left but jump right and strike his cheek. I gave him one slash—one slash so he would remember that I was not to be played with.
I was Arrow. And I was, no matter my arrogance, a hero.

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Kilsby (realitywriter) | 28 comments Haley(fabulous/crazy/Daughter of the King of Kings) wrote: "An Arrogant Hero
I fell backwards off the cliff.
Dekaton had a sword to my throat and I had no other choice.
I just hoped that she would arrive in time so I wouldn’t fall to my death even with my..."

Wow, very action-packed :D
I think you would like reading books like: "The last thing I remember" by Andrew Klavan and "Jacob & Sylvia" by Troy Black. Similar writing style with action and similar voice in Jacob and Sylvia!

message 23: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) I will have to look those up!!

Isabel of the Sea (oceangirlie) | 1375 comments Great job, Haley!!

message 25: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Thanks!!! :) It was fun writing!

message 26: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) We have four contestants so far!!!! If any of you still want to join, you still have time!!!!

message 27: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) The winner will get to chose the prompt for the next contest!!!!!

message 28: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Today is the last day of the contest. Tomorrow we will create the poll to decide the winner!!

Isabel of the Sea (oceangirlie) | 1375 comments Whoohoo!

message 30: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) YEAH!!!!