Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Out of the Silent Planet (The Space Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Out of the Silent Planet
Out of the Silent Planet, by C. S. Lewis

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy | 106 comments I read this for week 25, a book in which a main character is in a profession that interests you. The protagonist is a philologist (linguist). I planned on reading this for last year's challenge - a trilogy, but changed my mind because I am usually not a fan of sci fi. Boy did I make a mistake! I should have trusted my old friend, C. S. Lewis, because this book was completely captivating and enjoyable from start to finish.

Meghan Mildenberger | 9 comments I just finished this book for week 22. Full disclosure, I do not really like sci fi! I think aliens are kind of dumb, and usually can't conceptualize the real-but-also-fictitious planet. However, I loved this book.
In the beginning, I felt my typical "meh" feeling I get every time I attempt to read sci fi. The space ship sounds weird. The space travel concept confuses me. The claustrophobia is horrible. But then, I became really drawn into the imagery and symbolism Lewis applied in this book. Although it was still difficult for me to imagine the planet and characters who inhabited it, that didn't bother me as much. I was really attached to the main character and his journey and transformation. I loved the character dynamics- I was just waiting for Lewis to fall into the typical good guys-bad guys trope, but he didn't do that because the characters were so much more than just good or bad...they had gray areas, they were dynamic, evolving, maturing, and the reader is really able to grasp the reality of that amidst the otherwise fictional backdrop of the book. Their character qualities made them so real. I can't wait for the next book to arrive at my library!

message 3: by J (new) - rated it 4 stars

J Austill | 674 comments Meghan wrote: "I was just waiting for Lewis to fall into the typical good guys-bad guys trope, but he didn't do that because the characters were so much more than just good or bad...they had gray areas, they were dynamic, evolving, maturing, and the reader is really able to grasp the reality of that amidst the otherwise fictional backdrop of the book."

That was definitely one of the best parts of the book. What I expected was not how this one went.

Of the series, I was not a fan of the second book but that third!!!

message 4: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy | 106 comments You are making me want to move books 2 and 3 up on my reading list!

Meghan Mildenberger | 9 comments Hmm I might have to move them up on mine as well!