The Reading Challenge Group discussion

A Quest for Answers > Question 16 - You're reading again?!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
What would be your response to the following (all too common) question -

"You're reading again? Don't you ever do anything besides read?"

I've been asked this question at least a thousand times throughout my life, and yet almost every time my mind goes blank in the moment and I think of the perfect response an hour later, when the person who said it is no longer around. So come on, let's all practice our sarcasm and disdain, and make certain that none of us will be left without an appropriate response to this irritating question again!

message 2: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 916 comments My favorite response to people who ask that is something along the lines of: "This is how I stay so amazingly intelligent." or if I'm feeling exceptionally snarky and I know the person will understand it to be a joke: "This is how I stay so much smarter than you."

message 3: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments I have to admit, it seem to only get this question from my Mom - everyone else in my life understands because they are either readers themselves, or wish they were!

Usually I will say something to my Mom like "this is how I managed to become so gifted as a child. You wouldn't want me to give that up, would you?"

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 790 comments Sleep?

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (micky74007) I say "yes. no." and keep on reading.

message 6: by Gavin (last edited Apr 30, 2014 05:46PM) (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 209 comments I'm like "yes, I read some more".

message 7: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1209 comments Really? I read less than you watch tv.

message 8: by Polina (new)

Polina Кaramagi (polinushka) | 40 comments Yep, reality annoys me.

message 9: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1209 comments Polyne wrote: "Yep, reality annoys me."

I love this one. I may have to use it!

message 10: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
LOL These are all awesome. :D

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments When do you have time to read? I say, "Pick one, read or clean!"

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy (amylw1) | 25 comments yes, i read to escape!

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I do read for an hour (general and bible reading), but I also do my movie reviews, my book reviews for the books I read, I listen to music, do my other stuff like write too. I also play video games on fb.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan (suzybop) | 90 comments 'There's worse things I could be doing'

Brenda (aka Gramma) | 278 comments "I also spend a lot of time picking out what I'm going to read next."

Depending on mood, I could then launch into a recruiting pitch for Goodreads: "Omigosh you have to join you can talk with people who like all different kinds of books" and then segue into a soapbox rant about how one kind isn't better than the other I mean after all I just read Haunting of Hill House and it's called-- oh some kind of haunted house story-- but really it was so much like Rebecca even though that's sort of a modern classic...

After they made their escape, I don't think they'd be in a hurry to bring up books to me again for awhile.

message 16: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent How else am I going to finish my TBR pile? Hey, by the way, what are YOU reading? Have I read it yet? Is it good? Does it have a happy ending? What genre is it? Can I borrow it when you're done with it? Wait ... where are you going????

message 17: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
LOL Brenda and Pat, I think you have the right idea!

message 18: by Rob (new)

Rob | 162 comments " i am not reading. I am doing a giant word search puzzle. Oh look, I just found 'Once upon a time'."

message 19: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (sleepykitty) | 129 comments Faye wrote: "What would be your response to the following (all too common) question -

"You're reading again? Don't you ever do anything besides read?"

I've been asked this question at least a thousand times t..."

My superior brain demands stimulation.

message 20: by A (last edited May 02, 2014 09:36AM) (new)

A H I've been asked this question a lot of times too. Mostly from friends, who still don't understand why I read, let alone why I read so much. My parents used to ask that a lot but now they've gotten around the fact that when I'm not studying, I'm always reading (or nowadays a lot on GR). So they don't bother asking me this again and again. But yeah, friends, all the time. And my favorite response - "Yeah, maybe you should stop being so amazed for the thousandth time and start reading yourself". And then I may rattle off a few of my favorites if I'm in the mood to:P

Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 800 comments Gavin wrote: "I'm like "yes, I read some more"."

Love this one!

my standard response is: "yes, plenty more but not right now"

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 106 comments Susan wrote: "'There's worse things I could be doing'"
That's what I say too.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I've heard that comment too many times to count by my family members. I'm the only one that reads for enjoyment, so they all don't "get it " .

How do you explain WHY you like to read ?

I usually say :
to learn something

OR

to learn how other people handle problems in their lives in case I ever have the same issue , it might help me to hear how someone else deals with it .

OR

I just like to READ ,I could be doing something worse, like drinking a case of Budweiser every day !

message 24: by Raquel (last edited Dec 02, 2014 11:55PM) (new)

Raquel Romero (raqueljeannie) | 35 comments My mind goes blank too sometimes but I usually just say something personal to annoy them. Not mean though. Just so they get the hint that it's annoying.

message 25: by Happy (new)

Happy (worldhasteeth) "Yes, hello, have you MET me?"

message 26: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) People don't usually ask me this question, as they too love to read or otherwise they know I am addicted to reading and have given up on me now :-)

message 27: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments I have heard this comment too many times. Oh you read, who has the time for that. I even heard that one from a librarian. I want to say, excuse me I am dyslexic and I make time.

message 28: by Deborah (last edited Aug 04, 2015 05:39PM) (new)

Deborah Pickstone | 563 comments I say "yup" or ignore them. I've got better things to do (like, reading) than bothering to respond to someone with so little conversational sophistication and the rudeness to interrupt.

But mostly they all gave up by now....not much point talking at someone who doesn't respond.

message 29: by beth (new)

beth (beth01) "Yes, and judging by your intelligence, you should be reading too".