Play Book Tag discussion

Sharp Objects
This topic is about Sharp Objects
March 2016: Mystery Thriller > Sharp Objects by Gilian Flynn- 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments I'm a sucker for a good psychological dark thriller. This hit the mark on just about all the quintessential crime thriller checkpoints for me. For those who have read Gillian Flynn, I found it to be a faster read than Gone Girl- and I enjoyed it more.

The plot is deceivingly simple- reporter fresh off a stint in a psych ward has to return home to report on two local murders or young girls. Of course it can never be that simple. The protagonist, Camille is flawed in just about every way, I enjoyed seeing more and more layers to her as the book went on. Although more and more layers pretty much meant more and more fucked up. She's manipulative, somewhat irresponsible, and has who knows how many and yet I still seemed to want her to "win".

We get to see Camille be awkward and uncomfortable in her hometown with her mother whose never said "I love you" and younger sister whose a spoiled pretentious brat- while trying to befriend a local cop, and figure out who killed the girls and write interesting stories on it. The characters that were built were also all very well developed, even if they didn't seem so at first glance. Sure Camille did some pretty..I mean VERY questionable things, but still, I wanted her to succeed in figuring out the murders.

The thing I think some readers would not enjoy about this just the pure creepy, dark, twisted-ness of it. I actually felt uncomfortable reading the ending of this. No spoilers, but that's totally what Flynn was going for, and she succeeded. I loved the twisty-turning ending, albeit supremely messed up in every way possible. It had a great psychological thriller-y aspect to the book that kept not only what happened in the book interesting, but (perhaps more importantly) revealed more about characters upbringing, and their minds so the reader can see WHY these characters do what they do.

Anita Pomerantz | 6299 comments Oooh, I'm just starting this now, and it sounds awesome in your review!

Ellen | 2090 comments Considering how much I like mystery/thriller books, I was definitely not a fan of this one. If I remember correctly, I liked the book fairly well until the ending and I've not read anything by Flynn since. I am glad that you liked it Joi and I hope you do as well, Anita.

LibraryCin | 8129 comments I've really liked all three that I've read by Flynn. I can't remember the ending of this one, though!

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments This was my favorite of Flynn's. I love books where you think you know, then you don't, then you think you do and then whhaaaaat? Super creepy!

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I have read all three of her books and Dark Places is my favorite, followed by this one and then Gone Girl.

message 7: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Linda S wrote: "I have read all three of her books and Dark Places is my favorite, followed by this one and then Gone Girl."

That is my exact order a well. I'm hoping to get her short story The Grownup soon as well. Should be the quickest read ever, as the goodreads says it's only 64 pages.

Rachel N. | 1442 comments I've read all 3 of her books too and this is my least favorite. I just never really connected into the story. It does have a pretty dark and twisty ending. I agree that Dark Places is the best of her books.

Anita Pomerantz | 6299 comments Linda S wrote: "I have read all three of her books and Dark Places is my favorite, followed by this one and then Gone Girl."

Guess I'll be saving the best for last!

message 10: by Ladyslott (last edited Mar 05, 2016 10:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Joi wrote: I'm hoping to get her short story The Grownup soon as well. Should be the quickest read ever, as the goodreads says it's only 64 pages.

I read the Grownup, its very short, I believe it was originally part of an anthology. Very creepy.

message 11: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments This is the only book of hers I have not read. There is no doubt this woman can write this genre!

message 12: by Kristal (new)

Kristal | 35 comments Love dark and twistec so guess I will be getting this one soon. I've only read GG so far and thought it was pretty good.