What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Books where the reader understands more than the narrator

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liralen (last edited May 13, 2017 10:12AM) (new)

Liralen | 708 comments I'm looking for examples of books where the reader understands more than the narrator -- in Room, for example, the narrator is a child and misses a lot of the importance of the things going on around him, but the reader has a much clearer understanding.

Doesn't have to be a child narrator, but I'm looking for YA and adult books. Not looking for the sort of thing where the reader has some sort of crucial bit of information that the narrator doesn't have (e.g., 'the "other woman" is actually his sister!').

Thanks!

Update May 2017: No harm in noting other books that fit, but I'm all set on this search.

message 2: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 117 comments The Sound and Fury is the classic example of this

message 3: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 708 comments Thanks!

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37566 comments Mod
The Go-Between would probably fit. Adult book, 12 year old narrator.

message 5: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 708 comments Thanks, Lobstergirl.

message 6: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 596 comments Possibly What Maisie Knew - as I recall she is young and her parents are both having affairs...

message 7: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 708 comments Thanks!

message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina (cjcourt) | 2 comments Roddy Doyle's Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha - The reader understand quite a bit more than the child narrator, especially about his parents' failing marriage.

message 9: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 708 comments Christina, what a great title! Thanks.

message 10: by Amy (Other Amy) (new)

Amy (Other Amy) | 162 comments I would include Pale Fire in that, although only at the end when everything comes together.

message 11: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 203 comments Gretel and the Dark is a good example of this and just an interesting book over-all.

message 12: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments The Sound and the Fury
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha
for the previous suggestions.

message 13: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 860 comments The Last One might fit. The reader does know a crucial piece of information that the character does not, but because we know that, the things that we see through her eyes we understand more. Not sure if it's going to be exactly what you're looking for but I found it a very good book.

message 14: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 708 comments Thanks, all! I'm no longer looking for books in this vein, but I appreciate all the suggestions (and more never hurt in case others are looking).