Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > March 2016 Random Bits

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4116 comments Mod
This is the thread for those general discussions that don't fit in one of the other spots.

message 2: by Judith (last edited Mar 04, 2016 02:50PM) (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 86 comments I want to thank all the administrators here for all the work you have done over a short time period to make this site work for the group.
I have been amazed at how quickly it has come together and how much work it took. Thank you all very much for all you do for us so we can have such fun!

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1248 comments Mod
Hi John, I am not sure how I update for the current standings thread. The last 2 books I read have not been captured. Let me know if I am doing something wrong. Thanks for all you do:)

message 4: by John (new)

John Seymour Diane wrote: "Hi John, I am not sure how I update for the current standings thread. The last 2 books I read have not been captured. Let me know if I am doing something wrong. Thanks for all you do:)"

Nothing wrong as far as I can tell - I seem to have just missed it. The GoodReads system does take a lot of work. I am a lot busier at work these days, so I am not able to go in and update scores everyday, but I had clearly updated scores since you updated yours and caught people both before and after you - so it looks like this was just a miss on my part.

If it happens again, you can always just add another "update" reply, then delete it when I finally get the tally correct.

message 5: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1989 comments Mod
Judith wrote: "I want to thank all the administrators here for all the work you have done over a short time period to make this site work for the group.
I have been amazed at how quickly it has come together and ..."

Thank you Judith :)

And thanks to everyone who joins in with the group, you are the people who make it what it is.

message 6: by Kristel (new)

Book wrote: "Judith wrote: "I want to thank all the administrators here for all the work you have done over a short time period to make this site work for the group.
I have been amazed at how quickly it has com..."

Yes, I add my thanks too and also agree that without those that joined their would be no group.

message 7: by John (new)

John Seymour Kristel wrote: "Book wrote: "Judith wrote: "I want to thank all the administrators here for all the work you have done over a short time period to make this site work for the group.
I have been amazed at how quick..."

Ditto, ditto

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Sashinka wrote: "Hello! I'm back! Well hopefully... at least we're back in Australia and are currently fighting the jetlag. Currently I'm trying to work out how to change my name on every document across two contin..."

Hi! Welcome back. I was able to get into Shelfari so I copied this from your 2014 personal list over there. I couldn't find your 2015 one but this is better than nothing. Here's the list:

2009 BOTM
[ ] Hawksmoor by Ackroyd (pg 217, pub 1985)
[✓] The Sea by John Banville 18/09/14
[✓] Life and Times of Michael K by Coetzee 19/09/14
[ ] Turn of the Screw by Henry James (200, 1898)
[ ] Fear of Flying by Erica Jong (350, 1973)
[✓] The Road by Jack Kerouac (31/03/14
2010 BOTMs
[ ] Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham (704, 1915)
[✓] Black Water by Oates 13.09.14
[ ] Choke by Chuck Palahniuk (293, 2001)
[ ] Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake (396, 1946)
[ ] The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson (244, 1952)
[ ] Vanity Fair by William Thackeray (867, 1847)
[ ] The Once and Future King by TH White (639, 1958)
[ ] Le Pere Goriot by Honore de Balzac (384, 1834)
2011 BOTMs

[ ] Old Wives Tale by Arnold Bennett (600, 1908)
[ ] The Plague by Albert Camus (300, 1947)
[ ] White Noise by Don DeLillo (320, 1985)
[ ] Absalom, Absalom! by Faulkner (400, 1936)
[✓] The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins-Gilman (10/03/14)
[ ] Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg (469, 1992)
[✓ ] Reasons to Live by Amy Hempel 14.09.14
[ ] The Piano Teacher by E. Jelinek (288, 1983)
[ ] Princess of Cleaves by Lafayette (200, 1678)
[ ] The Iron Heel by Jack London (419, 1907)

2012 BOTMs
[ ] Watchmen by Alan Moore (400, 1986)
[ ] Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Patton (320,1948)
[ ] The Club Dumas by Arturo Reverte (362, 1992)
[ ] Contact by Carl Sagen (450, 1985)
[ ] Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayer (368, 1933)
[ ] Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (181, 1945)
[ ] Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne (240, 1866)
[ ] Rabbit, Run by John Updike (264, 1960)
[ ] The Invention of Curried Sausage by Uwe Timm (200, 1993)
[ ] The Invisible man by H. G. Wells (120, 1897)
[ ] Half of Man is Woman by Zhang Xianliang (285, 1985)
[ ] The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (228, 1951)
[ ] Foundation by Asimov (250, 1951)
[ ✓] The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes (16/08/14)
[ ] The Music of Chance by Paul Auster (200, 1990)
2013 BOTMs
[ ] Humboldt's Gift by Saul Bellow (500, 1975)
[ ] Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow (350, 1959)
[ ] The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler (150, 1939)
[ ] The Amazing Adventures of Kavelier And Clay by Michael Chabon (650, 2000)

message 9: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 86 comments Thanks Jen. I'm glad to get this list too!

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Judith wrote: "Thanks Jen. I'm glad to get this list too!"

just a warning: the list I posted was Sashinka's unique list of books she has yet to read from past BOTMs. It is not the comprehensive list.

Maybe we should move that over here before shelfari disappears? Although we won't be moving the discussions over -- too much work.

message 11: by Lynn (new)

Lynn L | 152 comments On amazon today A Prayer for Owen Meany is priced at $1.99 for a kindle copy of the book.

message 12: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 934 comments I find this immensely ironic that the GR website starts playing up within two days of Amazon pulling the plug on Shelfari. Have Shelfari database managers just transferred to GR? By the way, I posted this with my phone, so bad it is on my laptop...

message 13: by John (new)

John Seymour Patrick wrote: "I find this immensely ironic that the GR website starts playing up within two days of Amazon pulling the plug on Shelfari. Have Shelfari database managers just transferred to GR? By the way, I post..."

I haven't experienced any problems yet. What is happening?

message 14: by Kristel (new)

Patrick wrote: "I find this immensely ironic that the GR website starts playing up within two days of Amazon pulling the plug on Shelfari. Have Shelfari database managers just transferred to GR? By the way, I post..."

I haven't either.

message 15: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 934 comments John wrote: "Patrick wrote: "I find this immensely ironic that the GR website starts playing up within two days of Amazon pulling the plug on Shelfari. Have Shelfari database managers just transferred to GR? By..."

The pages weren't loading completely, several images went missing, the links weren't working. It is back to normal now (it probably lasted for one or two hours) and I know for sure that it wasn't my ISP as I was able to surf on other websites.

message 16: by Wolf (new)

Wolf Ostheeren (hazelwolf) | 58 comments Stupid me, I took on more work and it seriously cuts into my reading and online time. I completely missed the BOTM voting and haven't read a single one of the BOTM this month. Or anything from the list. *sigh* Maybe I'll get used to it soon and organize my time better. At least, that's what I hope. But I was also hoping to save more of my data from shelfari and that's a hope fading by the minute now... ((This is mostly for self-motivation, but I some virtual hugs wouldn't hurt either *fish*))

message 17: by Kristel (new)

Wolf wrote: "Stupid me, I took on more work and it seriously cuts into my reading and online time. I completely missed the BOTM voting and haven't read a single one of the BOTM this month. Or anything from the ..."
I did wonder where you were and noticed your absence and that you missed the vote. Don't forget to take time to relax in your busy ness.

message 18: by Wolf (new)

Wolf Ostheeren (hazelwolf) | 58 comments Thank you, Kristel! :)

message 19: by Book (new)

Wolf wrote: "Stupid me, I took on more work and it seriously cuts into my reading and online time. I completely missed the BOTM voting and haven't read a single one of the BOTM this month. Or anything from the ..."

Have a virtual hug from me :)

message 20: by Wolf (new)

Wolf Ostheeren (hazelwolf) | 58 comments Thank you, Book! The Easter break is a godsend! I've found some time for reading again. *happydance*

message 21: by Book (new)

Wolf wrote: "Thank you, Book! The Easter break is a godsend! I've found some time for reading again. *happydance*"

I know the feeling :)

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod

I haven't done too well in my reading or organizing either. May things clear up for you this month. I always like reading your insightful comments in the discussion threads.

message 23: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 292 comments Wolf wrote: "Stupid me, I took on more work and it seriously cuts into my reading and online time. I completely missed the BOTM voting and haven't read a single one of the BOTM this month. Or anything from the ..."

You still have a chance to recover things from Shelfari. The death throes have been prolonged until May 31.

message 24: by Wolf (new)

Wolf Ostheeren (hazelwolf) | 58 comments Thank you, Jen! I will be back. :)

Sushicat: I'm afraid not. That's what they say, but I looked for two books recently that hadn't been imported right and there were no data in shelfari either... I looked into the exported file and they were there, perfectly. So some data are lost already on the website and I won't rely on it any more. I'm so glad the exporting worked, even though the .csv file is far from convenient.

message 25: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 292 comments Re Shelfari: Indeed, all the edition data is gone! I had not noticed since I was only checking on some of the groups.

message 26: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Imre Kertesz died today

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bbc.co...#

message 27: by Kristel (new)

I won't be getting to questions for House of Leaves until tomorrow, but they are coming. Our next seasonal read for April, May and June.

message 28: by Book (new)

Kristel wrote: "I won't be getting to questions for House of Leaves until tomorrow, but they are coming. Our next seasonal read for April, May and June."

I am eagerly awaiting the questions having finished the book about last weekend :)