Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Page Numbering Requests > Page number doesn't match reality for ISBN 9780385349680

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara Leigh (last edited Apr 30, 2014 01:18PM) (new)

Sara Leigh (saraleigh) | 14 comments I'm reading Claire of the Sea Light, in the Nook ebook of the subject ISBN. My book shows 165 pages, including back matter but not front matter. The entry on Goodreads for this ISBN shows 256 pages. Please correct this.

Sara Leigh

message 2: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Those are e-pages, not real ones, in this cases pages are set by publisher and that is 256: http://www.randomhouse.com/book/36740... http://knopfdoubleday.com/

message 3: by Sara Leigh (new)

Sara Leigh (saraleigh) | 14 comments Well that makes showing my progress in reading kind of pointless. You seriously don't look at the actual ebook to see what the page count is but just use what is an inaccurate page count provided by the publisher for some other version of the book? Nevermind. It's not important but definitely annoying.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41702 comments Mod
User settings, precise model of ereader, and other variables can mean that the same book on your ereader and mine have different page counts. Therefore, for ebooks (including Kindle editions), the page number on Goodreads comes from the publisher.

message 5: by Empress (last edited May 01, 2014 02:42AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Sara Leigh wrote: " It's not important but definitely annoying. "

I understand, but then the next person may request to set the pages to 320. Do you see the problem here?

Try to use percentages instead. I don't know about your reader but a lot of them can show the progress in percentages, so if you are 25% in the book, just put 25% on Goodreads. You're reader might show 25 percent from 165 pages but GR will show 25% from 256.

message 6: by Deon (new)

Deon (deonva) | 3382 comments Nook simple touch doesn't provide percentage. So Nook users can't actually record anything as the page numbers on the nook are never going to match.

message 7: by Sara Leigh (last edited May 01, 2014 06:26AM) (new)

Sara Leigh (saraleigh) | 14 comments I use the Nook app on an iPad. That's fine. It's not that important. I just won't update my status until it's finished.