SNA Y8.01 (2015-2016) discussion

Assignment > Final post Term 3 Week 8 New book recommendation

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nurr (new)

Nurr Shahidna | 23 comments Mod
Recommend a new book for your friends to read. Give a short book recommendation.

message 2: by Neha (last edited Mar 04, 2016 03:10AM) (new)

Neha Shinde | 15 comments Every Day (Every Day #1) by David Levithan
I am recommending a brilliant novel written by David Levithan titled Everyday. It is wise and widely unique and demonstrates empathy which is paired in the best parts of the book with a persuasive optimism about the odds for happiness and for true love. This is one of two of my favourite novels; the other is a companion to New York Times bestseller Everyday which is Another Day. I've never read a book similar to this, or a character, A- a teen who sees the world through different eyes-literally-each time he awakens. Alluring, oftentimes humorous and splendorous, the novel has an irresistible premise that is sure to captivate readers. Everyday is a study in style, an exercise in imagination, and an opportunity for readers to occupy another life.

A is an undefined being who wakes everyday in a new human body. A is neither male nor female. For the purpose of continuity, A is referred to as “he“ throughout this guide. He is a thinking being but not human and apparently not demonic. He has his own memories but is able to tap into the memories and knowledge of the person whose body he inhabits meaning he is able to get through most days without arousing suspicion as to his presence. As a rule, the friends and family of the inhabited person simply chalk A’s presence down to distraction or an off day. A doesn’t know why he is in this situation, but he chooses to be very conscientious about the lives of the people he inhabits. He seeks to maintain a low profile throughout the day and goes out of his way to avoid making decisions that will affect the life of the person he inhabits. He also avoids making real connections with people because he knows he’ll be gone the following day. As a child, he is infuriated when people talk about “tomorrow” because he knows he will be in a different body living a different life with different people. As he ages and realizes he is different - that most people don’t hop from one body to the next - he keeps a distance from the people around him in an effort to avoid the pain of losing them at the end of the day.
However, that changes the day he meets Rhiannon. From the beginning, A feels that Rhiannon is in a bad relationship though she seems to honestly care about her boyfriend, Justin. Over the course of the day he is in Justin’s body, A connects with Rhiannon and falls in love. Over the next few days he finds ways to be near her and confesses his true nature. While Rhiannon does accept that A is what he claims to be, she realizes she can never have a normal relationship with him. She struggles with his changing appearance each day but continues to feel a growing love for A.

I speak so highly of Everyday because it deserves to be praised. I thank Levithan for writing such an enthralling story about a concept none like ever before. I didn't just read this book, I inhaled it. I shall give Everyday a rating 11/10. That is how heavenly this novel is.

message 3: by Delicia (new)

Delicia W | 16 comments The book that I chose to recommend is the book called Vanity Fair. This is one of those book I chose from the list of reading books from school. So, I think that the story's plot takes so many twists and turns that this formula ends up cast aside.

The first impression of reading the book Vanity Fair seems like it's going to be one of those blonde or brunette girl parallel lives stories. I recommend this book to people that are into romance story and also the people who enjoy story that seems like drama.

message 4: by Russell (new)

Russell | 28 comments My book is this time its personal this book has a special guy this guy likes to go to the bar and heis also fat and bold i recomend this book because its fun

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Kwandy | 14 comments The book i recommend is a book with the title 'A court full of thorns and roses' and is written by Sarah J Maas. Although the first few chapters are a bit boring, the story is nice enough to be recommended. This book starts with the introduction of the village, which part of the forest is forbidden for humans to enter unless they have a death wish because inside the forest, humans will encounter species that are known to not exist. These kind of species found in the forest will also kill humans once they spot one. One of the main character, Feyre, a huntress was 'hunted' by one of the species living in the forest -a wolf- because she killed one of them, and she needs to pay with her life. As the saying said, a life for a life. She was given 2 choices; to go with the wolf or to be killed. The choice is in her hands, but who knew the choice she chose will change her life forever?

message 6: by Wilson (new)

Wilson Wongosari | 13 comments HMS Ulysses by Alistair MacLean
The book that i recommend is "HMS Ulysses". It is a nice book to recommend for me because it really describes how harsh is the naval war in second world war especially when the ship were left over by the armada. It also describes the serviceman's heroism and how the situation push the crew into the limit.
The story is about a royal navy's warship was facing the aggressive attack by the Germans and the bitter cold winter in the arctic sea.The entire plot is also describing the heroism and the maximum endurance of those brave serviceman on board the HMS Ulysses.

message 7: by Jade (new)

Jade | 9 comments The book that I would like to recommend is titled "Another Day" by David Levithan.
Another Day is very different, but also very good. I enjoyed Another Day in a way I didn’t expect. This novel gives a surprising and valuable perspective on love, relationships, and most of all: respect.

Rhiannon is in a bad relationship. She loves her boyfriend, Justin, but things have been rocky between them for a long while. His moodiness and selfish behavior makes Rhiannon unhappy, but her feelings for him are so strong that she lets it slide. But one day, he’s different. He’s kind, open, and happy, and they ditch school and go on a mini-adventure together. It’s a day like this one that makes Rhiannon believe its worth dealing with all of Justin’s bad parts. But the next day, Justin acts like their perfect day never happened, and eventually Rhiannon learns that it wasn’t really Justin she shared that day with, but A—an unimaginable being who only exists by taking over a new body each day. That day, A also fell in love with Rhiannon. If that doesn’t leave a girl in a doozy, I don’t know what does.
Rhiannon is imperfect: she doesn’t always make the right decisions and she can be hurtful and insecure, but all of that makes her feel so real. She’s one of the best-written female protagonists I’ve read in a while, and the way this book ends is perfect.
Overall, I would rate Another Day and Everyday an 11/10, this book is truly captivating and will reach deep down in your emotions with Levithan's words. Another Day

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 19 comments For this week's goodreads, i would like to recommend the book "Girl Online" by Zoe Sugg, also known as Zoella. This book is an extremely easy read and can be easily understood. I wouldn't say this book is as exciting as books like "Cinder" or "A Court of Thorns and Roses" which has a fantasy scenery and brilliant plots but it is enjoyable nonetheless.
This book is basically about a girl called Penny who anonymously wrote a blog-girl online. She lives a normal life until she met a few people here and there which turns her world upside down.
I really enjoy this book as even though it's quite a simple book, it still has exciting plots and amazing life lessons when looked in depth. For example, it shows ways you can overcome anxiety or how things will get better in the future. It also spoke about gay rights and awful, judgemental parents.
Although I don't really love the ending (since it's not the happiest), I recommend this book if you want to have a quick and easy read. Overall, i would rate this book 3.5/5.

message 9: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 20 comments I recommend one of my favourite books, its a classic called The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Secret Garden is about a particularly arrogant and unpleasant girl called Mary Lennox. At the start of the book, she lives in India, but is forced to leave for her uncle's mansion in England in order to escape a devastating outbreak of cholera. The book is about how the discovery of a secret garden transforms the character of Mary and another character in the book.I really liked the book, as it was fascinating to see Mary change from a horrible, spoiled brat to a sweet-hearted girl. The best scene was probably when Mary first finds the garden that was hidden for a decade, as the description left such a clear image in my mind.

This book is a classic that your parents have probably read, but don't let that put you off! It is an intriguing read, despite the few slow bits in the book. I would probably give it 8.5 out of ten. It is not a fancy book for girls, despite the title. This is definitely a book for either gender! I would not recommend this book for people who do not care for nature, as there is a lot of description about flowers and trees and so on. On the other hand, it could change your mind about it! This is a must-read for people who are interested about nature, but other readers would enjoy it too.

message 10: by Selinapratiknjo (new)

Selinapratiknjo | 5 comments The book that I reccomend is the book 'Girl Online On Tour' by Zoe Sugg aka Zoella. I think that this book is very interesting, and I reccomend everyone to go read it. The story is about when Noah invites Penny on his European music tour, she cannot wait to spend time with her rock-god tastic boyfriend. But, between Noah's jam-packed schedule, less-than-welcoming band mates, hateful and treathening messages from jealous fans, Penny wonders if she really is cut out for life on tour. She can't helps but miss her family, her best friend, Elliot and her blog, Girl Online. Can Penny learn to balance life and love on the road. or will she lose everything in pursuit of the perfect summer? Although the ending is not the best (like Girl Online, as its sad), I really really like this book. Overall, I will give this book a 9/10.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Santoso | 14 comments The book I recommend is " Percy Jackson the Lightning Thief" The book is filled with lots of adventure and fantasy that children who would love to dream of. It is about a boy named Percy Jackson who was half-blood which means that he is not entirely human, he was being kicked out of many schools due to his mischievous and lack of diligent attitude. But one day he was assigned to find the missing lightning thief, this was his most epic and amazing adventure he could ever imagine. Overall, i will give this book a 7.5 / 10 rating