Writer's Aid discussion

Writing > Name help

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 18 comments Hi, I am not sure if I can post this here but I am going to try and see how it goes. I am writing a book and I need help coming up with a negative racist name for humans that the people with gifts call them. For example in Harry Potter they used the term 'Mudblood'. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

message 2: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanlily195) Hi! Maybe you could do something with the word 'lack' as in the lack of gifts. What kind of gifts do the people in your book have?

message 3: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 18 comments Sanne wrote: "Hi! Maybe you could do something with the word 'lack' as in the lack of gifts. What kind of gifts do the people in your book have?"

As of right now they mainly have elemental powers but I might expand to shifters.

message 4: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanlily195) The only thing that pops into my head is Nearths, which is probably a bit stupid haha :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe something with 'voids', like void of powers? Which is similar to what Sanne suggested with lack.

message 6: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 18 comments Thanks for your suggestions!! I think this is one of the hardest parts- naming.

message 7: by Maeros (new)

Maeros   (maeros) | 61 comments Hey Jess! Just as a heads up - I'm not a mod, just a randomer - we have a thread just beneath this one where we ask questions about character names. I expect this comes under that category in a way, so if you ask there, there will be a few of us who might be able to help :)

message 8: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 18 comments Maeros wrote: "Hey Jess! Just as a heads up - I'm not a mod, just a randomer - we have a thread just beneath this one where we ask questions about character names. I expect this comes under that category in a way..."

I saw that one but since I wasn't naming a specific character, I didn't think it would fit. But I'll give it a shot, thanks :)

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Frediani A suggestion. Since you're looking for a name for humans as a group, why not look to other languages for the word(s) used for human, man, people, etc. Not "common" languages like French, Spanish, etc., but less common ones. Immediately to hand, for example - An English-Dakota Dictionary by J.P. Williamson. It lists the Dakota word(s) for human as wicasta, wica. You don't even need to leave them "as is." Play with them until you come up with something you like. Examples - wycasta, wychasta, wichast and so on. Sound it out. Since you want a derogatory term, say it that way. Spit it out and see how it sounds. Spitting out 'cakes,' doesn't have to...oomph of spitting out 'sh*t' if you catch my drift. I'm bringing to mind a Star Trek episode in which the alien says the word 'human' drawn out and definitely derogatory - "hyuuu-mahn." When I read the written word, I also 'hear' it in my head. Another possible option works on this. I have beside me The Random House Thesaurus of Slang. I won't type them all down but the entry for Person, Disliked is about two inches long (or more). Hope this helps.