MidCoast Libraries Better Reading Bookclub discussion

New Library > What physical features should the new library in Forster have?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Jones | 75 comments Mod
First question. What physical features should a new library have?

message 2: by natalie g (new)

natalie g (nothingwasthesame) | 3 comments a reading nook or two?!

message 3: by Chris (new)

Good call. Maybe quite a few? What does a reading nook look like please?

moonshinemurphy | 3 comments beat me to the punch with that idea darling. a reading nook is a great idea. someplace to curl up in comfort and read a book away from the maelstrom of clicking computer keys subtle conversations. a separate area to encourage bookworms to come and chill with a book.

reading it such a solitary endeavour yet well indulge it with such a passion that it can make and shape us on deep levels. promoting and encouraging this by getting people envolved in say reading groups and discussions in a face to face setting and without this digital disconnect of online and in a library setting would not only encourage more reading but also allow people to connect with others over a passion of books.

a library is a place that is rather transient, you come and select and leave again. by encouraging the us of the facilities as more than just borrowing and using Internet it could go towards making connections to enrich the community.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Thanks for that really considered suggestion. One of the challenges of modern libraries is to create quieter spaces. How does meeting rooms work in this role?
We can also create nooks using shelves and furniture etc.
Ive heard of a library in Scandinavia that has a tranquil room.
But you're not just suggesting a quiet space. You mentioned quiet discussion places - which is maybe why meeting rooms, but with more flair and style. A combo of the relaxation room and meeting space.
Or have I got that totally wrong?

moonshinemurphy | 3 comments yes i like that concept of a quiet room. the duality of and emboding both, having a dual purpose room with the ability to act as a quiet space but to also when need be act as a place of convergence for group gatherings and discussions for say like a book group.

message 7: by Chris (new)

You hit the nail right on the head moonshine. Flexibility in design has to be the secret. And more and more I think it's about adaptable space. A room that is a meeting room, or a quiet place or an events space etc. furniture on wheels.
What your suggestion has done though has made me think not just of meeting place but discussion space and that may mean some subtle differences in design.
Cheers.

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Holm | 8 comments Something else to consider might be an artspace/gallery within the library (showing my background and bias here). Raymond Terrace Library has an Artspace run by volunteers where artists or community groups can have an exhibition on a monthly rotation. Such a space could draw people to the library, and echoes what moonshine said about enriching the community.

I also like the idea of a book nook. The uni library manages the noise level of its spaces by designating 'quiet' and 'silent' zones away from the computer hubs.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Thanks Steph. I should go down and check out the Artspace. We definitely need to think how we can incorporate art into the building. also Council will be considering a "whole of site" civic precinct, so possible something like that could actually be in an adjoining space too.

message 10: by Helen (new)

Helen Bonanno | 2 comments Sorry to be so late responding but have been away. I've always wanted an outdoor space incorporated into a library. A courtyard where people could sit outside to read and drink coffee, with quiet music in the background.

message 11: by Chris (new)

A very good idea Helen. and welcome back. We are definitely considering an outdoor area. Though there may be times when it may not be so quiet. We thought it might be nice for the children's storytime session is this could happen outside (where possible) rather than inside.
But totally agree and I may take your exact words (and some of the above comments) to the design table.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mel88) | 3 comments Hi all....I've also been busy....and don't live up that way however a really good funky cafe would be wonderful as it would also be here in Tea Gardens

message 13: by Chris (new)

Thanks for the suggestion Melissa. I do like the idea of a café in the civic precinct, though there's a bit of evidence emerging that cafes in libraries may not be financially successful. I do like the idea though.
Maybe if there a café right near the library, with people being able to bring food and drink in. Might work.
Also, at Byron Bay Library they have a coffee cart, which I believes works well (and it's good coffee too).
I think a coffee shop should certainly be in the mix though.