NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

Need Help? [Ask the Group] > Pending status vs Wish for it!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A (last edited Mar 02, 2016 11:26AM) (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments Have you ever had a NG book show as "request pending"...then after you keep checking it lots of times...You click on the book and it now says "Wish for it!" because it currently isn't available?

I can only assume the pub. didn't mean to list it yet ???

Btw, where do "Wish for It" books appear if you are issued one? Automatically in your activity folder or on your dashboard?

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Burnett (cindyhillburnett) I have done the "wish for It" route a couple of times and was recently granted one. I received an email saying that the publisher had granted my wish and the book showed up on my shelf.

message 3: by Zippergirl (new)

Zippergirl | 70 comments And I got a wishbone box on my front page that says: Your wish has been granted. Mine was Andre the Giant: Closer to Heaven. It was my first graphic novel and made my eyes happy.

Andre the Giant Closer to Heaven by Brandon Easton

message 4: by A (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments DJ Zippergirl wrote: "And I got a wishbone box on my front page that says: Your wish has been granted. Mine was Andre the Giant: Closer to Heaven. It was my first graphic novel and made my eyes happy.

[bookcover:Andre ..."

Thanks for responding. I just thought it was strange it went from letting me request...so showed pending for awhile...then switched to "Wish for it." I'm assuming the pub. jumped the gun and posted it before they should have. In fact, the cover wasn't shown yet. I recognized the author and book name as I've read the other books in this series.

message 5: by Zippergirl (new)

Zippergirl | 70 comments I'm new there. Perhaps they just ran out of copies for request, but will grant a few wishes?

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Burnett (cindyhillburnett) That is strange. I haven't seen that before.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, I thought it was just a cute feature, I didn't realise that publishers could actually grant the wish. That's pretty cool!

message 8: by A (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments Vickie wrote: "Oh, I thought it was just a cute feature, I didn't realise that publishers could actually grant the wish. That's pretty cool!"

IMHO, I think pub. often do the "wish for it" to get publicity for a book without issuing ARCs....or issue so few it isn't worth our time. If a book is listed on NG, I expect to be able to request an ARC, not have the book dangled in front of me like a prize that their book fairy may or may not hand over. I'm sure there are likely all kinds of other reasons (early promotion to see what kind of interest is out there, etc.). But I'm more annoyed than anything when I see "wish for it!"... but that's just me.

Ann Marie (Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine) | 5 comments I've actually had pretty good luck with wishing.

message 10: by A (last edited Mar 09, 2016 09:21AM) (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments Ann Marie wrote: "I've actually had pretty good luck with wishing."

I'm glad to hear it. I've never been granted one. Btw, I read the romance genre, pretty much exclusively.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Burnett (cindyhillburnett) I just had a second one granted. I am so curious how that works.

message 12: by Zippergirl (new)

Zippergirl | 70 comments And yet I was turned down for two books which were brand new on NG, both from First Second Books. They told me that they didn't have enough review copies to share.

Both are graphic novels: Tetris and Demon I.

I really wanted to read the Tetris book. I've loved that game since the 90s.

message 13: by Angie Elle (last edited Mar 09, 2016 09:32AM) (new)

Angie Elle (angieelle) | 24 comments A wrote: "Vickie wrote: "Oh, I thought it was just a cute feature, I didn't realise that publishers could actually grant the wish. That's pretty cool!"

IMHO, I think pub. often do the "wish for it" to get p..."

What I've noticed (particularly with Berkley) is that they load all of their books on Netgalley, then make them not available for request, but send the blogs they have on their mailing list the pre-approved widget list for the books. This is their way to still be able to issue e-copies to the blogs they work with.

Until they are under the 'previously on Netgalley' list, they show as 'I Wish for It.'

message 14: by A (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments Angie Elle wrote: "A wrote: "Vickie wrote: "Oh, I thought it was just a cute feature, I didn't realise that publishers could actually grant the wish. That's pretty cool!"

IMHO, I think pub. often do the "wish for it..."

That sounds like a very reasonable explanation. Unfortunately, I don't have a blog. A couple of publishers do send me fairly long lists of books to accept invites for ARCs on NG though. I think Berkley has only approved me once!

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments I really don't understand the whole "wish for it" concept. Regardless of whether it's available for request or only "wish for it", the publisher gets the requests anyway, and can either provide the book or not. What difference does the terminology make?

message 16: by A (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments Robin wrote: "I really don't understand the whole "wish for it" concept. Regardless of whether it's available for request or only "wish for it", the publisher gets the requests anyway, and can either provide the..."

I think the main difference is fewer ARCs are issued with "wish for it" books ..and some claim it is more random. Also, ARCs may not be ready for distribution yet. But you make a very logical/reasonable comparison of the two terms! I couldn't agree more!

message 17: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Burnett (cindyhillburnett) A wrote: "Angie Elle wrote: "A wrote: "Vickie wrote: "Oh, I thought it was just a cute feature, I didn't realise that publishers could actually grant the wish. That's pretty cool!"

IMHO, I think pub. often ..."

That's neat that publishers send you lists of books to accept invites for. I have not had that happen.

Berkeley always rejects my requests.

message 18: by Pia (new)

Pia | 34 comments Berkley doesn't like me either...

I've had only one wish granted so far...

message 19: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 29 comments Angie Elle wrote: "What I've noticed (particularly with Berkley) is that they load all of their books on Netgalley, then make them not available for request, but send the blogs they have on their mailing list the pre-approved widget list for the books. This is their way to still be able to issue e-copies to the blogs they work with."

I don't know if that's true or not as I'm not on their list if that's the case but I can say for certain that they do grant wishes on the books that are up because I've gotten on granted from Berkley.

message 20: by A (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments You guys brought me good luck! lol I just received my first "wish for it" book ... by Gallery, Threshold Press, Pocket books!

message 21: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Burnett (cindyhillburnett) A wrote: "You guys brought me good luck! lol I just received my first "wish for it" book ... by Gallery, Threshold Press, Pocket books!"

That's great! Congrats.