Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Anyone else struggling to find a copy of this in the UK?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim | 10 comments It could just be me as I try to avoid Amazon as much as possible, and there are no second hand copies on eBay :(

message 2: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty Maclachlan | 21 comments The only place I found any was Amazon, through sellers, all second-hand.
Waterstones don't have it on their site either.

❦ Anna Francesca (annafrancesca3) | 57 comments There are a couple of new copies on eBay but you will have to be quick. Haven't seen any in the uk anywhere else which is odd.

message 4: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
Yes, i've only seen it on amazon and ebay.
I guess it's worth checking your local charity shops too - just incase you hit the jackpot ;-)

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahrf) | 4 comments I just bought it from Amazon, "condition: almost new", for £7.29

message 6: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
I would suggest abebooks.com! :) Always have a few UK retailers...

message 7: by Savannah, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

message 8: by Lene (new)

Lene | 10 comments Not in UK but in Norway. Can't get it via Kindle or Audible, and it's not in libraries. So my only hope is to buy a hard copy and have it shipped internationally. Sort of disappointed that the book is so hard to get hold of.

message 10: by Frank (new)

Frank Monterisi Jr (frank314) I ordered mine on Barnes & Noble.

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie | 1 comments I can't located it in a library in Vic, Australia either, hope to find it soon.

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim | 10 comments Book depository (subsidiary of Amazon) is out of stock now, as is Amazon. Can get second hand from Amazon marketplace but book is over £10 including postage and I just can't afford that.

My library doesn't have it either.

Very disappointed :(

message 13: by textual (new)

textual silence (textualsilence) | 16 comments Scribd has it in pdf format, if that's of any use? I'm assuming Scribd is a kosher site?

message 14: by Henriette (new)

Henriette Terkelsen (henrietteterkelsen) Denmark seems to be a problem as well. And to top it of none-European traders offers the problem of added taxes (and the long, long wait on getting it from the customs department).

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim | 10 comments Thanks Kodak, the problem is not just that the book is not that readily available in the UK (and other countries too it seems) but that it is not available at a price I (and I'm guessing others too) can afford.

Sellers that do have it are hoiking up the price because of the demand and the limited copies they have. I've seen the price rise in the last 24 hours!

I clearly shouldn't have been so squeamish of buying from Amazon when it was only £7! But their discount tactics and tax dodging is screwing over the book industry so I always try and avoid them if at all possible.

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/boycot...

I may have to skip this month, although I will keep an eye out and hopefully read the book at a later date

Kim

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim | 10 comments Having said all that I've just downloaded the Scribd app and found the free pdf :) thanks all.

I do like to have a book to pass forward but at least I can read it now!

Xxx

message 17: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
It's also possible that the price hiking will calm down after a few days? I don't really know, I'm just guessing once the hype dies down and the rush to buy is over.

Also keep an eye on the "pay it forward" folder. Some speedy readers might be ready to pass on their copies soon, and some might even be willing to read faster than they would otherwise in order to help one another out! Overall, everyone here seems to be very generous.

message 18: by Maiken (new)

Maiken Christensen | 5 comments I went to Waterstones today to ask if they could order in and they informed me that the books does not have a UK distribution agreement - which may then be the case for a lot of Europe in general.
I also bought mine on Barnes & Noble webpage. Guess we'll see how long it takes before I get it.
Reading "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed until then..

message 19: by Maiken (new)

Maiken Christensen | 5 comments Hey Kodak,
I figured it was a good idea to go to waterstones and sort out if there was a higher-level issue which unfortunately there was. I explained about the book club and the sales numbers but without a distributor they cannot do anything. They advised me/us to look to overseas retailers and used book stores.

Haven't checked out Scribd - I'm old school and just need to have a physical book in my hands. I expect to have the book mid-end March hopefully, but hey, as long as I get it in the end..

message 20: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1 comments I purchased through Barnes and Noble. I appreciate that others are avoiding purchasing through Amazon:)

message 21: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 8 comments How much is it from Barnes and Noble? Amazon are selling it for £17 now and I want to avoid paying this price!

message 22: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
Caitlin wrote: "Amazon are selling it for £17 now and I want to avoid paying this price!"

True! and with P&P makes it £20..and for a paperback book that is 2nd hand :-o

message 23: by Aida (new)

Aida | 8 comments guys, you can read one version of the book on scribd app, it is for free.

message 24: by Kim (last edited Mar 04, 2016 05:43AM) (new)

Kim | 10 comments I'm still figuring out how to use Scribd, but for anyone else new to it like me, the first document copy I came to had many pages not available to be read.

I've now found another one that appears to be complete!

https://www.scribd.com/doc/124493278/...

Kim :)

message 25: by Anne Elisabeth (new)

Anne Elisabeth   (anneelisabeth) | 87 comments For readers in the Nordic countries, they also have the book on adlibris.com.

message 26: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Zoi Gatto | 6 comments Hi everyone!I'm not from UK, I'm italian but I can't find this book everywhere!!!!Is there any other with the same problem ???

message 27: by Ishita (new)

Ishita | 43 comments I couldn't get a copy in India either. I missed the previous two reads and I was so looking forward to this one!

message 28: by Kim (new)

Kim | 10 comments If you click on the link in my last comment you should be able to read a document version of the book. It was the only option I was able to find too :(

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 14 comments hi iv just joined scribd as a few of you mentioned it was on there but only three books are showing by bells hooks and not the one I need. any suggestions?

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 14 comments ordered on amazon relieved

message 31: by Lene (new)

Lene | 10 comments Dianna wrote: "Lene wrote: "Not in UK but in Norway. Can't get it via Kindle or Audible, and it's not in libraries. So my only hope is to buy a hard copy and have it shipped internationally. Sort of disappointed ..."

Thank you so much! I ended up trying out Scribd, as suggested above. That app is new to me and I was reluctant to try it (how "legal" is it?) but to avoid the 11-14 days delivery time (and because I try and avoid buying hard copies due to space) I gave it a try and it seems ok. I'm only on page 30 yet though so I can't vouch for the entire book. Thanks again for the advice! I'll make sure to recommend it to others:)

message 32: by Lene (new)

Lene | 10 comments Sarah wrote: "hi iv just joined scribd as a few of you mentioned it was on there but only three books are showing by bells hooks and not the one I need. any suggestions?"

I found it listed as a document rather than as a book. Does that help?

message 33: by Ishita (new)

Ishita | 43 comments I'll make sure to check it from my computer. Thanks Kim, this helps :)

message 34: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 2 comments I'm finding it hard to get one in Canada too. I could buy one online for $20 but I read a sample and I'm not really feeling it, so I'm not so sure that I really want to spend the money on a book that will just take up shelf space. I usually save hard copy books for those that I'm sure I will look at again

message 35: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria | 24 comments I wrote this in the Pay It Forward thread, but if anyone is having trouble finding a copy, I have one, and would be willing to ship it out and loan it to whoever might need one (once I am finished reading it). I'm in the US but would be willing to ship to other countries.

Message me if you are interested! :)

message 36: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
We've created a thread in hopes of helping people find copies of the book: Book Availability

Please post any LEGAL links or methods of attaining copies in that thread.

In the interest of organization, we are going to remove related threads, so that all of the resources can be found in one place, making it easier for members to navigate.

Thanks everyone!

Locked and Archived

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.