The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2016 > 25.2 - Brooke TX's Task: #ReadingGoals

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 02, 2016 09:28AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17398 comments Mod
25.2 - Brooke TX's Task: #ReadingGoals
This is a two book task. Choose two different options from the
following choices, and read one book for each.

The two books combined must have a total of at least 600 pages, and both books must be new to you.

REQUIRED: State which options you chose when posting and that both books are new to you.

1. #MoreGenre: One of my goals for this year is to read more genre fiction, especially science fiction/fantasy. Choose a book from one of these lists:
2015 Locus SF Novels Recommended Reading List,
2015 Locus First Novels Recommended Reading List, or
2015 Locus Fantasy Novels Recommended Reading List.
REQUIRED: Include which list your book is found on in your post.

2. #TooLong: I'm also trying to clear out some of the books that have been clogging up my TBR.
Using your Goodreads to-read shelf, another personal Goodreads shelf or a non-Goodreads list, such as "books I own":
Read either:
A: one of the 10 books that have been on your to-read list the longest.
B: one of the 10 longest* books on your to-read list.
REQUIRED: If you chose option A, identify your to-read list and include the date you added the book to your TBR. If you chose option B, identify your to-read list and include the book's page count.

*NOTE: ebooks without a print edition cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook, listen to an audiobook or read a Large Print edition use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition. See the rules for the complete method.

3. #OldFavorites: Another goal: get caught up on new releases from some of my favorite authors. Go to your Goodreads Most Read Authors (under the "Tools" sidebar on the My Books page). Choose a new to you book by one of the authors on this list.
REQUIRED: Include a link to the author's page, the author's ranking on your list, and the number of their books you have read in your post. For example: William Shakespeare, #5, 10 books.

4. #NewBooks: There's always room for discovering new authors. Read a book first published in 2016 by a new to you author.
REQUIRED: State that the author is new to you.

message 2: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Reserved.

message 3: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Reserved.

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

This help thread is open!

message 5: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments identify your to-read list

Do you mean link to it?

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiabaxter) | 709 comments Question about Option 4 - this task is highlighting a debut author publishing this year.

Would it count against the task if the author has been part of an anthology in the past, but has just released their first novel?

message 7: by Brooke (last edited Mar 02, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Nicola wrote: "identify your to-read list

Do you mean link to it?"

Not necessarily - just mention if it is from your overall Goodreads TBR list, a specific GR shelf, or something else, such as books owned.

message 8: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Cynthia wrote: "Question about Option 4 - this task is highlighting a debut author publishing this year.

Would it count against the task if the author has been part of an anthology in the past, but has just relea..."

It does not have to be a debut novel - just a new to you author.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1467 comments For option #3, can we read a book published under a pseudonym? Specifically, Nora Roberts is on my list of most read authors and she also publishes as J.D. Robb, so can I read a J.D. Robb book?
Thanks.

message 10: by Dlmrose (new)

Lauren wrote: "For option #3, can we read a book published under a pseudonym? Specifically, Nora Roberts is on my list of most read authors and she also publishes as J.D. Robb, so can I read a J.D. Robb book?
Tha..."

Since this is a rules issue, I will answer
No, from FAQ
If an author uses a pseudonym can I use books under that name as well as books under his/her other name for author name tasks?
No. The default rule is that the name recorded on the Goodreads book page will be used.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1467 comments Thanks for the info. I'll read something else.

message 12: by Jonquil (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments Brooke-
I just finished reading the oldest book on my to-read list. I delete my TBR books and then add them to my Read list so they'll appear in the month I read them rather than way back when I originally listed them. Can I simply list the original TBR date when I post your task weeks from now, or do you want the mods to be able to see that the book was added on Jul 8, 2012 by looking at my actual TBR?
Thanks.

message 13: by Brooke (last edited Mar 04, 2016 03:17PM) (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Jonquil wrote: "Brooke-
I just finished reading the oldest book on my to-read list. I delete my TBR books and then add them to my Read list so they'll appear in the month I read them rather than way back when I or..."

I think including the date in your post should be sufficient, but I'll ask a moderator just to be sure.

Edit: Confirmed, including the date and TBR information in your task post will be enough.

message 14: by Jonquil (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments Brooke wrote: "Jonquil wrote: "Brooke-
I just finished reading the oldest book on my to-read list. I delete my TBR books and then add them to my Read list so they'll appear in the month I read them rather than wa..."

Thanks for checking, Brooke!

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments any rule on how far down on the most read authors list one can appear?

message 16: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Dee wrote: "any rule on how far down on the most read authors list one can appear?"

Ah, sorry I missed this! No limit, as long as its on the list it works.

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments Thanks! My author is like 97th

message 18: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 493 comments The Literature Book by DK Publishing

Does this work for # 4?

message 19: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Blueberry wrote: "The Literature Book by DK Publishing

Does this work for # 4?"

I'm going to have to say no, because it doesn't have an author listed, just a publisher, therefore it can't really be a "new to you author." Sorry!

message 20: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 493 comments no problem. I wondered about that very thing.