Chat, Eat, and Read discussion

Go Ask Alice

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Heffner | 1076 comments Mod
Our book starting March 6th. IF you have already read it feel free to add your thoughts or reread with us . It is a pretty quick read from what I can tell.

message 2: by Lilith (new)

Lilith | 802 comments Mod
I can't believe how many schools banned this book! Scandelous!

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Lilith wrote: "I can't believe how many schools banned this book! Scandelous!"

That is crazy the books that have been banned.

message 4: by Lilith (new)

To try all these drugs without even knowing what they are and how they will affect you! Oh my! Scary!!

message 5: by Deborah (new)

What a quick read. I am already on page 50. I have to remind myself it takes place on the 60's.

message 6: by Lilith (new)

I thought the description of her bad trip was so well done. The way she described it really made me feel like I could imagine how it would feel if it had happened to me. Ugggghhhh!!!

I was VERY surprised when I read the epilogue! I will give my opinion about that at a later date just in case people have not cheated and skipped ahead! But THAT epilogue definetly needs to be discussed!

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Now I better hurry up.

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Crap I cheated. She died. I am sad.

message 9: by Lilith (new)

Good going. Ruin it for Kara! I'm still not discussing it til everyone is done!

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Lilith wrote: "Good going. Ruin it for Kara! I'm still not discussing it til everyone is done!"

Ha, I think she has read the book.

message 11: by Lilith (new)

So I was quite surprised when I read that she died. As for the fact about being unsure about the drug overdose being intentional or not, I really wonder! Initially, I thought that there is no way she would have intentionally killed herself...considering what a happy note her last entry ended on. Then I thought about "His Bright Light: The Story of Nick Traina, by Danielle Steel. In the book, when Nick intentionally overdoses, his mother is left feeling completely baffled and confused. Prior to his suicide, he had been happy and things had appeared to be going very well for him. His mother learnt that when people with mental disorders are feeling very good, that is when they have the strength to carry through with ending their life. So I'm wondering if that is the case with the girl in "Go Ask Alice." She seemed to have quite a bit of torturous demons...and throughout the book, she was up and down...So just because the diary ended on an up note, doesn't mean it stayed that away. Also, although she seemed so positive in her last entry, I wonder if she was genuinely happy. She could very well have been lying to herself.

message 12: by Deborah (new)

The thirteen year old me gives it five stars, but the adult in me gives it two. She seemed to be all over the place. It was an interesting book because no one writes books like that anymore.

I need to read that Nick Traina book. I have heard about it for years.

message 13: by Mari (new)

Mari Carroll | 12 comments I'm pretty sure I remember reading this when I was a relatively young adult...maybe 18 or 19. And for me, it was a life changer. Her story scared me SO much that I seriously believe that many of my "better" choices stemmed from her memoir. Some of it seemed far fetched at the time, but as I grew older, I learned that those kinds of things really did happen. My now 19 year old daughter read it last year with my encouragement and I surely hope it has the same effect!