Songkeeper Chronicles discussion

General > Maps

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clare (new)

Clare S-B (stylodedragonpur) | 50 comments So this book does not have a map, I was wondering if anyone is good enough at directions and close reading of descriptions to draw a rough one. Because all fantasy books have got to have maps.

And Gillian, did you draw any rough maps while writing it? Is so can we please please see one!

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll (on break) (deborahocarroll) | 44 comments Gillian mentioned that she had drawn a map, and I think had a giveaway for them around Christmas. Maybe it will be in Songkeeper? We can hope! *fingers crossed* I love maps, and one of this land would be marvelous. :D

message 3: by Clare (new)

Clare S-B (stylodedragonpur) | 50 comments Oh yes, maps are just so cool, I always draw maps of my stories that get to any level of completion.

What are peoples favourite maps? One of mine would have to be those of Middle Earth.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll (on break) (deborahocarroll) | 44 comments I love Middle-earth maps! I have one framed on my wall. XD And I got a lovely collection of color illustrated maps for LotR, the Hobbit, and the Silmarillion, for Christmas. I don't have room on my wall to put them up (they're huge!) but I love them so much!! Maps are the besssst. :)

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 28 comments I love the Middle Earth maps too- like Deborah, I have one on my wall (and another in a drawer because it came with my LOTR calendar last name).

The Stormlight Archives have pretty awesome maps too, though.

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane Maree (janemaree) | 43 comments I definitely agree with the Middle Earth maps, they're the best! I also like the maps in the Ranger's Apprentice and Brotherband books. When there's lots of traveling in the book it's sooo much easier to keep track of everything with a map.

message 7: by Hope (new)

Hope | 25 comments *agrees with everything that's been said* Idk why, but I love maps so much. Maybe cause I have a serious case of wanderlust. . . Hmm.

message 8: by Clare (new)

Clare S-B (stylodedragonpur) | 50 comments Deborah wrote: "I love Middle-earth maps! I have one framed on my wall. XD And I got a lovely collection of color illustrated maps for LotR, the Hobbit, and the Silmarillion, for Christmas. I don't have room on my..."

Oh wow I would love a framed middle earth map on my wall!!!!

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane Maree (janemaree) | 43 comments Clare wrote: "Oh wow I would love a framed middle earth map on my wall!!!!"

I second that. It would be the best!

message 10: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Bronte Adams (gillianbronteadams) | 23 comments Mod
Deborah wrote: "Gillian mentioned that she had drawn a map, and I think had a giveaway for them around Christmas. Maybe it will be in Songkeeper? We can hope! *fingers crossed* I love maps, and one of this land wo..."

Yes, there will be a map in Songkeeper! It actually went through so many different versions over the years, that I'm thinking about writing up a blog post on the evolution of the map and letting y'all see what my novice mapmaking process looks like. :) I'll try to share a picture of it to the launch team facebook group at some point ...

message 11: by Gillian (new)

Hope wrote: "*agrees with everything that's been said* Idk why, but I love maps so much. Maybe cause I have a serious case of wanderlust. . . Hmm."

Maps are the best. I'm about to redo my "office space" and I want to have tons of maps hanging on the walls! So much inspiration!

message 12: by Clare (new)

Clare S-B (stylodedragonpur) | 50 comments Gillian wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Gillian mentioned that she had drawn a map, and I think had a giveaway for them around Christmas. Maybe it will be in Songkeeper? We can hope! *fingers crossed* I love maps, and one..." Oh yay I con't wait to see it! is there going to be one in the book?

message 13: by Clare (new)

Clare S-B (stylodedragonpur) | 50 comments Oh I see a MAP I SEE A MAP!

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll (on break) (deborahocarroll) | 44 comments Clare wrote: "Oh I see a MAP I SEE A MAP!"

ME TOO AAAHHH I LOVE IT! :D

message 15: by Clare (new)

Clare S-B (stylodedragonpur) | 50 comments Yes we shall be able to follow along where they are now.

message 16: by Jane (new)

Jane Maree (janemaree) | 43 comments Yup, it can be really handy for their travels...

message 17: by Gillian (new)

Jane wrote: "Yup, it can be really handy for their travels..."

There is a LOT of travel in Songkeeper, so yes, very handy! ;) There may come a day when I write a book without so much travel ... but it is not this day!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 28 comments The map is lovely. Though I never actually remember to use maps when I'm reading the book because I'm generally less like "Ok, they went where how now?" and less like "Must find out what happens next!"

message 19: by Clare (new)

Clare S-B (stylodedragonpur) | 50 comments I try to burn images of the map in my head and use it while reading so I don't have to keep turning back to it.