Play Book Tag discussion

February 2016: World War II > Code Talker: The First and Only Memoir By One of the Original Navajo Code Talkers of WWII

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SouthWestZippy (last edited Mar 01, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

SouthWestZippy | 856 comments Code Talker: The First and Only Memoir By One of the Original Navajo Code Talkers of WWII by Chester Nez, Judith Schiess Avila
Code Talker: The First and Only Memoir By One of the Original Navajo Code Talkers of WWII
5 stars
Not a easy book to read because of the intense feelings it summons up or to review because of all the reviews already written.
Chester Nez shares some his life stories while living on the Navajo reservation and some of the horror he witness while in boarding school. The stories about how the Code Talkers started and their work were fascinating. Chester Nez also shares a little about his life after the war. The book reads more like a memoir than it does a history book which I find more engaging, is was like peeking into someones diary. Highly recommend.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I have not read this, but will happily put it on some sort of wish list. What knowledge of history I have from the war, the Code Talkers contributed greatly to the Allies prevailing in the Pacific. They didn't win the war, but the war probably would not have been won without them.

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5641 comments After seeing the movie about the Code Talkers (starring Nicholas Cage), my father told us about one of the Code Talkers who was in his unit in the Pacific. It IS a fascinating story. Definitely adding this to my tbr

message 4: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 856 comments Book Concierge wrote: "After seeing the movie about the Code Talkers (starring Nicholas Cage), my father told us about one of the Code Talkers who was in his unit in the Pacific. It IS a fascinating story. Definitely add..."

I can see why you would like reading this book.

message 5: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 856 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I have not read this, but will happily put it on some sort of wish list. What knowledge of history I have from the war, the Code Talkers contributed greatly to the Allies prevailing in the Pacific...."

Yes, they sure did help.

message 6: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6926 comments This is a fascinating subject, and I've read articles and interview about it. Perhaps I need to read this someday.

message 7: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Back when I was with a non-profit group that did cultural activities in communities throughout three counties I brought Artrain into a rural community. The art on board was Native American art so I planned a lot of activities around it related to Native American contributions to our country. I brought in a Code Talker to spend two days in the community. That may be one of the most exciting things I've ever done. At the same time I was planning a Blues festival in an adjacent city. While all my volunteers were fighting over who was going to pick up the various artists I was still gushing over spending two days with the Code Talker.

message 8: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 856 comments Regina wrote: "Back when I was with a non-profit group that did cultural activities in communities throughout three counties I brought Artrain into a rural community. The art on board was Native American art so I..."

WOW! Thanks for sharing that story, what an experience for you.

message 9: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 856 comments Karin wrote: "This is a fascinating subject, and I've read articles and interview about it. Perhaps I need to read this someday."

Yes please do, it is very eye opening.

I also recommend:
Warriors: Navajo Code Talkers
It is not a lot of reading. It is a picture book but the pictures with the brief write ups are worth it.