Black Coffee discussion

Reading Challenges > March '16 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments How many books can you read this month? How many books discussing amazing women can you read this month? You can keep track here or use our widget:
https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

Excited to see what everyone is reading!

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments How's everyone coming with their books? I'm actually doing okay. One of them is pretty long but I'm making progress!

message 3: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 790 comments I'm currently reading a long book too. Not sure how many books I will read this month. I have been so busy doing other things. I will be glad when summer comes.

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments Maya wrote: "I'm currently reading a long book too. Not sure how many books I will read this month. I have been so busy doing other things. I will be glad when summer comes."

What's your long book?

message 5: by Maya (last edited Mar 21, 2016 04:02PM) (new)

Maya B | 790 comments Anastasia wrote: "Maya wrote: "I'm currently reading a long book too. Not sure how many books I will read this month. I have been so busy doing other things. I will be glad when summer comes."

What's your long book?"

Miles: The Autobiography Miles The Autobiography by Miles Davis

I finished this one last night

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments Maya wrote: "Anastasia wrote: "Maya wrote: "I'm currently reading a long book too. Not sure how many books I will read this month. I have been so busy doing other things. I will be glad when summer comes."

Wha..."

Congrats! How was it?

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments Finally managed to reach one of my monthly goals! How did everyone else do? What were your favorite reads this month?

I think for me it was definitely Daniel Deronda but I also enjoyed Half of a Yellow Sun.

message 8: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments While I did not sign up for the monthly challenge I thought I would mention my favorite reads for March.

I read 13 books so if I signed up I would have missed my goal as my "normal" goal is 15 books. I guess I can blame missing the goal on March Madness.

Here are my favorites:
Georgia: A Novel of Georgia O'Keeffe by Dawn Tripp
Overall, I savored this beautifully rendered well-crafted story filled with the incredibly raw, edgy emotions that enthralled me until the very last word. This is a wonderful addition to the fictionalized biography genre.

The Firebrand and the First Lady: Portrait of a Friendship: Pauli Murray, Eleanor Roosevelt, and the Struggle for Social Justice by Patricia Bell Scott
This is a remarkable book. The firebrand referenced is Pauli Murray - a black woman who certainly needs to be known by those interested in women's history and AA history.

We Love You, Charlie Freeman by Kaitlyn Greenidge
It was a powerful and ambitious narrative that reflects the complexity of racism, communication, and religion and scientific experimentation. It is a debut novel by a black author.

Youngblood by Matt Gallagher
A raw gritty and skillfully written novel that captures the complex harsh realities of the counterinsurgency tactics employed in Iraq. The sharply drawn characters illustrate the fragile and ever-changing reality of allies, partners, and adversaries and just what is the truth at a moment.

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 4307 comments Beverly wrote: "While I did not sign up for the monthly challenge I thought I would mention my favorite reads for March.

I read 13 books so if I signed up I would have missed my goal as my "normal" goal is 15 boo..."

I bought We Love You, Charlie Freeman last weekend. Your feedback/endorsement has pushed it to the top of my bedside table stack. (and March Madness is my excuse for not reading even 10, lol).

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Maya wrote: "Miles: The Autobiography Miles The Autobiography by Miles Davis

I finished this one last night "

Miles: The Autobio made my list of best books ever. I recently saw Miles Ahead, the biopic starring Don Cheadle (he also directed and wrote part of the screenplay) and was very disappointed - to the point that I wondered if Don ever read the book.