Around The World discussion

March Monthly Reading > What We're Reading in March

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) (maslme) | 76 comments Mod
What are you Currently Reading? or Plan to Read?

message 2: by Juanita (last edited Mar 31, 2016 09:56AM) (new)

Juanita (juanita-b) March read...

Room by Emma Donoghue 5★'s
Harbour Street by Ann Cleeves 4★'s
Tell Me Something True by Leila Cobo 3★'s
Rapids by Tim Parks..3★'s
All The Pretty Dead Girls by John Manning 4.5★'s
Been There Done That by Carol Snow 2.5★'s
Oryx And Crake by Margaret Atwood 3★'s
The Irish Cottage by Juliet Gauvin 3★
Unsinkable by Debbie Reynolds & Dorian Hannaway 4★'s
Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko 4★

message 3: by Terris (new)

Terris March read...
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

message 4: by Terris (last edited Mar 06, 2016 03:27PM) (new)

Terris Terris wrote: "March read...
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes"

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
Just finished this wonderful book!
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, 4****s
This is the story of a mentally disabled 32-yr-old man, Charlie, who is used in an experiment to see if doctors and professors at a local university can increase Charlie's IQ, which is 69 at the beginning of the book. The story is told from Charlie's point of view as he tells, through journal writing, what he is thinking and feeling. So you can tell how he changes through his writing skill, as he goes through the operation, hormones, and skills tests. The question throughout is "Will the operation help and will it last?" It is a re-read for me for book club - I originally read it 42 years ago!! I loved it then and I love it now. It is heartwarming and tearjerking, and I highly recommend it!

message 5: by Terris (new)

Terris Just finished "The One and Only Ivan." Halfway through "Middlemarch" and now finishing "The Island of Dr. Moreau."

message 6: by Terris (new)

Terris The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells
The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells, 3***s
An intense story of a man who is trapped on an island where Dr. Moreau is performing extreme surgeries on animals, grafting together a monkey with a dog, or a fox with a bear. Needless to say it doesn't all work out as the doctor planned! And this man has to figure out a way to keep himself safe from these creations and a way to get off this island! A very exciting story written in 1898.

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam (Good Thief's Guide, #1) by Chris Ewan The Good Thief’s Guide to Amsterdam by Chris Ewan – 3***
This is the first in a mystery series featuring Charlie Howard, successful author and part-time professional burglar. I thought it was highly entertaining, with a fast pace, interesting characters, and a great setting. I was charmed by Charlie and I’ll definitely read more of this series.
Full Review HERE

message 8: by Terris (new)

Terris A Lesson in Hope (Hope, #2) by Philip Gulley
A Lesson in Hope by Philip Gulley, 3***s
This is the 15th book of Sam Gardner as a Quaker minister in Indiana (13 in the Harmony Series, 2 so far in the Hope series). As always Sam has a lot of characters to deal with in his congregation, and each situation is funnier than the last! In this particular book, their church inherits a million dollars from the passing of a parishioner. Well, you can imagine how that goes! Of course, no one is in agreement as to how the money should be spend, and this leads to a lot of funny situations. Along with this, come some interesting changes in Sam's own family that he has to deal with. This book is a lot like the others, but I always enjoy Philip Gulley's sense of humor (who is a Quaker minister in Indiana in real life -- so he knows what he's talking about!). I would recommend this series for anyone who wants a light, fun read!

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) I've been caring for my husband as he recovers from spinal fusion surgery. It's been a bumpy road and I haven't really had time to read. I started both of these around March 12 ....

TEXT: Peyton Place by Grace Metalious Peyton Place / Grace Metalious
AUDIO: Roots The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley Roots: The Saga of an American Family / Alex Haley

message 10: by Terris (new)

Terris Book Concierge wrote: "I've been caring for my husband as he recovers from spinal fusion surgery. It's been a bumpy road and I haven't really had time to read. I started both of these around March 12 ....

TEXT: [bookcov..."

Thinking of you and your husband! And I'm interested in Peyton Place. It's on my list, so let me know if you'd recommend it or not!