Around The World discussion

March Monthly Reading > First Line of March

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) (maslme) | 76 comments Mod
For the book(s) you are reading now, tell us the first lines of the book.

Or a line(s) that you liked or not.

Let's hear it to judge if we might like the book

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Dance Hall of the Dead (Leaphorn & Chee, #2) by Tony Hillerman
"Shulawitsi, the Little Fire God, member of the Council of the Gods and Deputy to the Sun, had taped his track shoes to his feet.

The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam (Good Thief's Guide, #1) by Chris Ewan
"I want you to steal something for me."

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
"Lydia is dead. But they don't know this yet."

message 3: by Karin (last edited Mar 01, 2016 04:26PM) (new)

Karin Twelve Bar Blues by Patrick Neate
"Some four generations after a great chief called Tuloko first led people north to settle on the flood plains of the place the named The Land of the Moon, two boys grew up side by side in Maponda, a satellite village of the Zimindo kingdom of Tuloko's descendants."

Fallen Land by Taylor Brown
"Pale light crept into the black stanchions of pine, the ashen ground, the red center of dying coals."

A Sound Among the Trees by Susan Meissner
"The bride stood in a cercle of Virginia sunlight, her narrow heels clicking on Holly Oak's patio stones as she greeted strangers in the receiving line."

Logic, Or, The Right Use Of Reason In The Inquiry After Truth With A Variety Of Rules To Guard Against Error In The Affairs Of Religion And Human Life, As Well As In The Sciences by Isaac Watts
"Logic is the art of using reason well in our inquiries after truth, and the communication of it to others."

Jacqueline (Fall In Love With The Sound of Words) (jackey_oh) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in posession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife"

Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari Many of the frustrations experienced by today's singles seem like problems unique to our time and technological setting: not hearing back on a text. Agonizing over what really is your FAVORITE movie for your online dating profile. Wondering whether you should teleport over some roses to that girl you had dinner with last night. (REALLY SKEPTICAL THAT THEY WILL FIGURE OUT TELEPORTATION BY BOOK RELEASE IN JUNE 2015 AS I WAS TOLD BY MY SCIENCE ADVISERS. EDITOR, PLEASE REMOVE IF TELEPORTATION KINKS HAVEN'T BEEN WORKED OUT.)

message 5: by Juanita (last edited Mar 26, 2016 08:58AM) (new)

Juanita (juanita-b) Room by Emma Donoghue

"Today I'm Five. I was four last night going to sleep in Wardrobe, but when I wake up in Bed in the dark I'm changed to five, abracadabra."

Harbour Street (Vera Stanhope, #6) by Ann Cleeves

"Joe pushed through the crowd. It was just before Christmas and the Metro trains were full of shoppers clutching carrier bags stuffed with useless presents

Tell Me Something True by Leila Cobo

"The air feels sweet and moist and just the slightest bit warm when you get off the 9 p.m. flight to Cali."

Rapids by Tim Parks

"This isn't the right world, he told her. For us. He unrolled a sleeping bag and laid down on the planks."

All The Pretty Dead Girls by John Manning

"The white Lexus was doing exactly one mile over the speed limit when it crossed the Louisiana state line."

Been There, Done That by Carol Snow

"Getting carded would have been okay if I'd been out for a glass of wine with my friends."

Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1) by Margaret Atwood

"Snowman wakes before dawn."

The Irish Cottage (Travel Romance Beth #1) by Juliet Gauvin

"The green was everywhere. The hills, the trees, even the tiny country road appeared to grow grass through the gravel."

Unsinkable A Memoir by Debbie Reynolds

"it was going to be a perfect day."

Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko

"I will tell you something about stories,
They aren't just entertainment."

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 138 comments The Last Bookstore In America by Amy Stewart
Emily Short and Lewis Hartman thought they had seen the last of books.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
Ove is fifty-nine. He drives a Saab. He's the kind of man who points at people he doesn't like the look of, as if they were burglars and his forefinger a policeman's flashlight.

message 7: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 116 comments Brave Enough
Brave Enough by Cheryl Strayed

The first quote I loved is still among my favorites: Love many, trust few, and always paddle your own canoe.

message 8: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 138 comments What She Left Behind
What She Left Behind by Ellen Marie Wiseman

Within minutes of setting foot on the grounds of the shuttered Willard State Asylum, seventeen-year-old Isabele Stone knew it was a mistake.

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 116 comments Beverly wrote: "What She Left Behind
What She Left Behind by Ellen Marie Wiseman

Within minutes of setting foot on the grounds of the shuttered Willard State Asylum, seventeen-year-old Isabele Stone..."

Sounds interesting!

message 10: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 116 comments You Wish
You Wish (The Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff, #1) by Jason Lethcoe
Benjamin Bartholomew Piff scraped out the remains of last week's dinner -- a hideous, soupy concoction of clams, spinach, and leftover meatloaf -- from inside the immense iron pot.

message 11: by Beverly (last edited Mar 07, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 138 comments A Wrinkle in Time
A Wrinkle in Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle
It was a dark and stormy night.

message 12: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 116 comments Gratitude by Oliver Sacks
Gratitude by Oliver Sacks

Responding to the knowledge he's dying:

"I cannot pretend I am without fear. But my predominate feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved. I have been given much and I have given something in return. I have read and traveled and thought and written...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and adventure."

message 13: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 116 comments Beverly wrote: "A Wrinkle in Time
It was a dark and stormy night."

Wow! I forgot that was the first sentence. If I remember correctly, it's a line in the book the protagonist is reading though. Is that right, Beverly?

message 14: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 138 comments Connie wrote: "Beverly wrote: "A Wrinkle in Time
It was a dark and stormy night."

Wow! I forgot that was the first sentence. If I remember correctly, it's a line in the boo..."

I'll have to go back and listen to the that first part again to be sure but I don't think so...because Meg, the oldest child is talking about having the attic room where she hears the storm so much better than anyone else in the house. Then she and her brother and mother are all in the kitchen when the old lady from the woods gets blown off course and comes in. Of course, I've just started this so it's possible I may find out that someone else is reading all of this to the reader. I just loved that this was the first line!! :)

message 15: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 138 comments The Valley
The Valley by John Renehan

In the dream he climbed a narrow foot-trail alone in the sun, on a bare mountainside littered with metal corpses.

message 16: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 138 comments O Pioneers!
O Pioneers! by Willa Cather

One January day, thirty years ago, the little town of Hanover, anchored on a windy Nebraska tableland, was trying not to be blown away.

message 17: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 138 comments Beauty and the Beast
Beauty and the Beast (Faerie Tale Collection, #1) by Jenni James

"ARRRRUUUGHHHHHH!"
The prince half sobbed, half howled into the night air--his feeble skin ripped, agonizingly making way for the tormented form to escape.

message 18: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 138 comments Island of Bones
Island of Bones (Crowther and Westerman, #3) by Imogen Robertson

There was a peculiar hush around the Tower the night before an execution.

message 19: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 138 comments Haunted Connecticut
Haunted Connecticut Ghosts and Strange Phenomena of the Constitution State by Cheri Farnsworth

Qui Transtulit Sustinet, or "He who transplanted still sustains," is an apt state motto for Connecticut, because it is a state of immigrants who settled there long ago.

message 20: by Karin (new)

Karin Parable of the Sower (Earthseed, #1) by Octavia E. Butler
"I had my recurring dream last night."
Matters of Faith by Kristy Kiernan
"The turning points in my life have always arrived disguised as daily life."
The Red and the Black by Stendhal
"The little town of Berrieres can pass for one of the prettiest in Franche-Comte."

message 21: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 138 comments The Woman in White
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

This is a story of what a Woman's patience can endure, and what a Man's resolution can achieve.

message 22: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 138 comments Daughter of Air and Storm
Daughter of Air and Storm Book I of the Dark Moon Trilogy by Sherryl King-Wilds

A feeble torch fought for survival under the darkest of moons, its flame lilting through the ancient trees.

message 23: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 138 comments Bone Gap
Bone Gap by Laura Ruby

The people of Bone Gap called Finn a lot of things, but none of them was his name.

message 24: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 138 comments The Last Policeman
The Last Policeman (Last Policeman, #1) by Ben H. Winters

I'm staring at the insurance man and he's staring at me, two cold gray eyes behind old-fashioned tortoiseshell frames, and I'm having this awful and inspiring feeling, like holy moly this is real, and I don't know if I'm ready, I really don't.

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Peyton Place
Peyton Place by Grace Metalious

Indian summer is like a woman. Ripe, hotly passionate, but fickle, she comes and goes as she pleases so that one is never sure whether she will come at all, nor for how long she will stay.

message 26: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 116 comments Hmmm! I've never read Peyton Place, but that's a revealing beginning.

message 27: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 116 comments Beverly wrote: "Bone Gap
Bone Gap by Laura Ruby

The people of Bone Gap called Finn a lot of things, but none of them was his name."

:-)

message 28: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 116 comments Beverly wrote: "Island of Bones
Island of Bones (Crowther and Westerman, #3) by Imogen Robertson

There was a peculiar hush around the Tower the night before an execution."

!!!

message 29: by Karin (new)

Karin Beverly wrote: "The Woman in White

This is a story of what a Woman's patience can endure, and what a Man's resolution can achieve."

I'd forgotten what this line was; I did like this novel.

message 30: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 138 comments Karin wrote: "Beverly wrote: "The Woman in White

This is a story of what a Woman's patience can endure, and what a Man's resolution can achieve."

I'd forgotten what this lin..."

I should finish this up in the next day or two and I have really enjoyed it.

message 31: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 116 comments Suleyman the Magnificent and the Ottoman Empire
Suleyman the Magnificent and the Ottoman Empire by Miriam Greenblatt

It was an opportune time for Suleyman to invade Europe.

message 32: by Beverly (last edited Mar 28, 2016 08:02PM) (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 138 comments The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club by Gil McNeil

It's seven o'clock on Monday morning and the movers have been here since six.

All the Light We Cannot See
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

At dusk they pour from the sky.

message 33: by Karin (new)

Karin I still remember the outrage I felt as the news of the Lancaster County Amish schoolhouse shooting swept across media networks the morning of October 2, 2006.

Forgiven: The Amish School Shooting, a Mother’s Love, and a Story of Remarkable Grace