The County Library discussion

Reading Challenges > 2016 March Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bethsmash) | 772 comments Mod
For March, your challenge is to read one of the Reader's Choice Nominees. Twice a year Salt Lake County Library Services offer's the Reader's Choice Program. You can find a list of titles at the website below. There are titles in a variety of genres. I hope you find one you enjoy. Make sure you turn in a ballot at your local library, and pick up a Reader's Choice Frequent Reader Card. If you read and vote on 5 books, you can win a free book!

http://www.slcolibrary.org/rc/rcwr/re...

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky | 276 comments I'm going to read, Touch by Claire North, which is already on my to-read list!

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 377 comments Just read Death and the Red-Headed Woman. Mystery itself wasn't bad but the dialogue was sometimes ludicrous. Do people actually talk that way?? Several LOL parts though. (Warning to those who prefer clean reads.... this isn't one.)

message 4: by Darin (new)

Darin | 35 comments I'm looking forward to reading Trust No One by Paul Cleave, Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson, and House of Echoes by Brendan Duffy. I just finished listening to Happiness for Beginners by Katherine Center and was pleasantly surprised to find that I really liked it.

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 53 comments I'm currently listening to the audio version of Spare Parts : Four Undocumented Teenagers, One Ugly Robot, and the Battle for the American Dream by Joshua Davis. I am loving it!

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Becky - I'm glad you found one already on your to read list!

Britt - I haven't read that one yet, so I can't discuss how ludicrous the dialog is, but it's nice to know it might be over the top. lol

Darin - I'm glad you liked one you weren't certain you'd enjoy. I like that pleasantly surprised feeling.

Alisonwonderland - That's on my TBR pile. But, I might have to switch to the Audio. Is the narrator any good?

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 53 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Alisonwonderland - That's on my TBR pile. But, I might have to switch to the Audio. Is the narrator any good?"

The narrator isn't the best I've heard. He comes across a little dry, in my opinion. But it's definitely not bad enough that it's diminishing my love of the book! (I do a lot of my reading via audio during my commuting time.)

message 8: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 157 comments I'll read The Dress Shop of Dreams. I like Magical Realism and I'm a seamstress.

message 9: by Brendakins (new)

Brendakins | 6 comments I'm reading House Broken. Already got through Touch (alright, but gets messy near the end like the author was about to miss a deadline, and just finished it) and the Ice Twins was predictable, and long-winded.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 377 comments By Book or By Crook was fun.

message 11: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I would like to read Happiness for beginners if i can get a copy soon enough to read it this month.

message 12: by Debbie (last edited Mar 04, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 902 comments Being formerly a librarian at a research library, I'm going for By Book or By Crook. Sounds cool to be the librarian at a lighthouse after leaving the insane politics at a major university library!

message 13: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 902 comments alisonwonderland wrote: "I'm currently listening to the audio version of Spare Parts : Four Undocumented Teenagers, One Ugly Robot, and the Battle for the American Dream by Joshua Davis. I am loving it!"

Though I haven't read it, I think this is a cool book to have on the list since it is non-fiction.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 377 comments Finished House of Echoes. Not a fan.

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Reader's Choice usually has a couple of non-fiction titles. This year they are Spare Parts: Four Undocumented Teenagers, One Ugly Robot and the Battle for Theamerican Dream and The Stranger She Loved: A Mormon Doctor, His Beautiful Wife, and an Almost Perfect Murder.

I hope you guys are turning in your ballots once you finish your books.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 377 comments The Stranger She Loved was compelling. I ran out of ballots because some of the copies I had didn't have ballots in them, lol. I'll have to grab more when I turn in the ones I've filled out.

message 17: by Brendakins (new)

Brendakins | 6 comments Just finished House Broken. It was much less about dogs than I had hoped. But the characters were true, and understandable. It was good, but sad.

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda | 163 comments I read The Midnight Palace.

message 19: by Caytlin (new)

Caytlin | 3 comments I read Happiness for Beginners. It was a light, easy read, but it was super predictable and the main character's naïveté was annoying at times. Not anything I'll be recommending but not a total waste of my time.

message 20: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 902 comments I just finished By Book or By Crook by Eva Gates. I really enjoyed it and added her two other books to my "read soon" list. I enjoyed it so much, I actually wrote a review! Highly recommended, especially if you are a Stephanie Plum or KoKo and Yum Yum (Cats who) fan.

message 21: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 13 comments Joshua Davis is the author of the nonfiction Readers Choice book Spare Parts. It is mentioned by others already. I had to mention it also because it was really interesting. I liked it a lot. It is best book in my opinion of the books I have read from Readers Choice list this far. I finished Moonlight Castle, by Liz Rosenberg and Lawyer for the Dog by Lee Robinson. Moonlight castle was interesting because I learned something about the culture of the Singapore and especially because it showed how the local people felt about the or treated British after they took above Singapore.

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments I read "The Unexpected Consequences of Love", which was entertaining if you are looking for brain-numbing chick-lit. Perfect to listen to, as it doesn't require that you pay close attention to keep the story line straight. :D

message 23: by Casandria (new)

Casandria I'm on Happiness for Beginners now. I've already read The Ice Twins, The Unexpected Consequences of Love, Death & the Red-Headed Woman, Touch, and my favorite of the bunch, A Darker Shade of Magic. I haven't enjo all of them, but I appreciate the reminder to read outside my comfort zone!

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 377 comments I thought Lawyer for the Dog was cute.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Britt, Book Habitue wrote: "I thought Lawyer for the Dog was cute." Britt, that's the only one I've read so far, and I liked it too. :D

message 26: by Becky (new)

Becky | 276 comments I didnt complete the challenge and read Touch as planned, but did read another of North's books, The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, which was creative and quite good.

message 27: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 902 comments April challenge ready yet?

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

It's your last day for telling us which Reader's Choice book you've read! Were there any books you loved or hated? Let me know!

message 29: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 112 comments I loved Spare Parts: Four Undocumented Teenagers, One Ugly Robot, and the Battle for the American Dream. I grew up just a few miles from the high school where this all took place. I cried in multiple parts, felt inspired and angry. This book really got to me.

I also read The Moonlight Palace which I liked.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 377 comments Before He Finds Her was good. The Ice Twins was well-done but not my thing.

message 31: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments I listened to "By Brook or By Crook", which was an entertaining read.

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Jackie wrote: "I listened to "By Brook or By Crook", which was an entertaining read." That is on my to read list. Did you like the narrator?

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 53 comments Jenny wrote: "I loved Spare Parts: Four Undocumented Teenagers, One Ugly Robot, and the Battle for the American Dream."

I also loved Spare Parts!

I'm about 3/4s of the way through Happiness for Beginners too. I'm enjoying it, though it's "fluffier" than I expected.

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Jackie is our prize drawing winner for March’s reading challenge. She read The Unexpected Consequences of Love by Jill Mansell. Congratulations!

message 35: by Becky (new)

Becky | 276 comments Yay Jackie!

message 36: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments YAY ME!!!! Thank you!

message 37: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 902 comments Hooray Jackie!