Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Archives (maybe Revisit) > Leprechaun Event: Leprechaun Take Over NBRC - Rules and Daily Puzzles

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 01, 2016 05:31AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod

Logo Design by FlamingText.com

Magic has invaded NBRC and has turned all the mods into leprechauns! The only way to turn them back is to gather all the magic coins that have been scattered by the tornado. What is a magical mod leprechaun to do?

Help the mods return to their former forms. The most helpful will be handsomely rewarded before the magic leaves.

There are many ways to earn Leprechaun coins. Spread out or focus on your favorites.

Submit your work to have your coins added to the tally. Link will be added within a day or two.

Rewards
The member with the highest gold return will choose first. The top 3 returns will receive a reward.
☘ Select the next NBRC team challenge from a list of ideas.
☘ Select a NBRC BOM.
☘ Create a challenge idea

All members who participate will receive a NBRC gift card.
See here for gift card info.

Books may be used for multiple different challenges but each book may only be used once within a challenge type.

Example: You may use a book for progress towards the Road to St. Patrick's and the Leprechaun Role-Playing Game but not the same book towards two goals in the Road to St. Patrick's.

Stay tuned for more surprises throughout March!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 01, 2016 06:34AM) (new)

Join a mini-quest series to rid Novel Kingdom of a Leprechaun invasion.

Earn Leprechaun Coins for every quest completed.

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 07, 2016 07:50AM) (new)

Participate in a leprechaun themed challenge.
Dress Like A Leprechaun
Road to St. Patrick's
Visit the Wishing Well
A Leprechaun Read-a-Thon ~ starting 3/11

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 01, 2016 05:21AM) (new)

Puzzles will be posted at the bottom of this thread. Everyone will have 24 hours from when the puzzle is posted to PM the moderator account with the answer to the puzzle. Correct answers will be given 3 Leprechaun Coins. Coins will be automatically tallied for correct answers.

Click "Notify me when people comment" at the bottom of the thread to be notified when updates are posted.

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 01, 2016 05:21AM) (new)

Earn Leprechaun Coins for participating in our book of the month reads. Check here for the March reads.

Writing a day's worth of discussion questions = 10 Leprechaun Coins
Participating in a current BOM (participating in discussion):
     - Up to three days = 5 Leprechaun Coins
     - All days = 5 Leprechaun Coins

The coins are cumulative, meaning if you write a day of DQ's, and participate on all days = 5 + 5 + 10 = 20 gold coins

message 6: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Res

message 7: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 8: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 9: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Let's start with something easy!
This jigsaw is worth 3 leprechaun coins. To get them you need to send a screenshot of the completed puzzle, by private message, to Mod account

Click on image below to go to jigsaw puzzle

or follow this link

How to send a screenshot (view spoiler)

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary  (wimew) | 396 comments I did finish this puzzle However have a new computer and I cant find where everything is sigh

message 11: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 726 comments Moderators of NBRC wrote: "

Let's start with something easy!
This jigsaw is worth 3 leprechaun coins. To get them you need to send a screenshot of the completed puzzle, by private message, to Mod account

Click on image..."

For those with Windows, the Snipping Tool will allow you to capture a screenshot as an image. If you search your programs and files from the command button you should be able to find it.

message 12: by Mary (last edited Mar 02, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Mary  (wimew) | 396 comments Thanks for the help that got it done for me My husband also appreciates this because I didn't have to bug him about it LOL

message 13: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Yup Megan.

From the Rules ~

Books may be used for multiple different challenges but each book may only be used once within a challenge type.

Example: You may use a book for progress towards the Road to St. Patrick's and the Leprechaun Role-Playing Game but not the same book towards two goals in the Road to St. Patrick's.

message 14: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 937 comments I hate to be a bother, but want to make sure I'm reading the answer right. For the leprechaun challenges, we can use a book multiple times as long as it isn't the same quest? Like we could use the same book for more than one mini-challenge in the LRPG - then use it again for the Road to St.Patricks, wishing well, and dress a leprechaun?

Those of us coming directly from the NRPG are likely to be more confused because we are so used to only ever being able to use a book a single time.

I think the challenge type is throwing me off. I was thinking of the mini-quests in the LRPG as a single unit with different parts. Like I wouldn't be able to use the same book for a purple and green shard quest right? Or could I hypothetically use a single, perfect book that would fit a task in every shard?

message 15: by Karsyn (last edited Mar 02, 2016 07:20PM) (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) The short answer to the first question is Yes, Daphne.

Basically continue to think of it as using only a single time still for NRPG. What is different is you can now use those books for other events, but not within the same ones.

Here's what Kelly said ~

"You can only use a single book for a single quest in the LRPG. However, a book you use in LRPG could also be used in some of the other challenges going on (like Leprechaun dress up). So you can't use the same book for two different LRPG quests."

So ~ think of each piece as a different event.... like the olympics. You have the RPG, Dress Up, Road To, and Wishing Well (so far). One book can cover ONE part of each of those. But one book can not be used multiple times within the SAME event.

Does that make sense?

message 16: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 937 comments Karsyn wrote: "So ~ think of each piece as a different event.... like the olympics. You have the RPG, Dress Up, Road To, and Wishing Well (so far). One book can cover ONE part of each of those. But one book can not be used multiple times within the SAME event.

Does that make sense? "

Absolutely! Thank you so much for explaining it to me so well! I'm sure I managed to make it way more complicated than I needed to. I think what really hung me up where the mini-shard quests in the LRPG. :)

message 17: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 937 comments megan.lynn♡ wrote: "We can do the mini quests in any order though, right?"

I'm sure we can if it's like the NRPG. i hope so because I'm starting with the last one before the pot o' gold. So excited for the 1 extra gold per week!

message 18: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (engelsigh) | 1087 comments What is the minimum number of pages for all of these challenges?

message 19: by JessicaAnn (new)

JessicaAnn Lillis (jeskalillis) | -7 comments Jenn wrote: "What is the minimum number of pages for all of these challenges?"

I have the same question.

I found an ebook with a bow tie on the cover, but it is less than 100 pages.

message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol | 101 comments Can an elf count as a small creature?

message 21: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

As the leprechauns went frolicking
Through NBRC
They dropped many treasures
But here is the key

For leprechaun coins
Find the image below
Hidden in a thread post
Tell the mods when you know

To help on your search
Solve the riddle clue
Send the post link to the mods
Then three coins we'll give you

Translation from Lilting Leprechaun language to modern English
This riddle is worth 3 leprechaun coins. The riddle below will lead to a particular thread within NBRC. Within that thread will be a post containing the below image. When you find that post, right click on the date, copy, then paste that link into a private message to Mod account

description

When you follow the rainbow
To find your pot of gold
You should Start Here
So you're not left in the cold

*You have 24 hours from when the puzzle is posted to PM the moderator account with the answer to the puzzle*

message 22: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

To get coins for slide puzzle, first you need to put image back in order. Then send a screenshot of the completed puzzle, by private message, to Mod account

Click on image to get a slide puzzle

or follow this link

*You have 24 hours from when the puzzle is posted to PM the moderator account with the answer to the puzzle*

message 23: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

This riddle is worth 3 leprechaun coins. The riddle below will lead to a particular thread within NBRC. Within that thread will be a post containing the below image. When you find that post, right click on the date, copy, then paste that link into a private message to Mod account

description

When treasure you seek
It's best with a buddy
But don't look out the back
Don't search in the nuddy

message 24: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 06, 2016 04:19AM) (new)

The object of this game is to link two words together that are usually used in conjunction with one another one letter at a time.

Lime Gold

For this game, try to connect LIME to GOLD one shamrock, er, letter at a time. Each row between LIME and GOLD can only have one letter changed from the one below it or the one above it. See if you can connect the two. Once you have, send Mod account a private message with a list of words connecting LIME to GOLD.

*click on image for larger size*

This puzzle is worth 3 coins, but you can get 1 bonus coin if you can solve it in less than 9 steps (number of shamrocks on the image).

message 25: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

description

The mod with 3 A's
Has a challenging list
Look under her tee-shirt
If the gold you have missed

message 26: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Word wheel 'LEPRECHAUN'. Find at least 10 words using letters from leprechaun but all words need to start with letter L.
In those 10 words, 5 words need to be 1 of each (4-letters, 5-letters, 6-letters, 7-letters, 8-letters words). Others are your choice.
Once you have all 10 words, send Mod account a private message with your answer.

message 27: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

description

My pot of gold
Is in a tower up high
Unlucky brother of Zeus
You must first pass by

message 28: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Encrypted Quote
By substituting letters with another letters, try to figure out what the text says.
Once you have your answer, send it to Mod account in private message.

This puzzle is worth 4 coins. You can get extra bonus coin if you know author and title from where the quote was taken.

T xhr mqnb qb psi ylhvv, nstds nhv zilr vsqlp hbm vqwp, nsili T vxicp vqebmil pshb izil T lioiouil pq shzi mqbi tb or xtwi, hbm, hv T lidaqbim, huqzi btbi sqelv; wql nsib T hnhaim, tp nhv kevp mhrxtysp. T hppiocpim pq ltvi, uep nhv bqp huxi pq vptl: wql hv T shccibim pq xti qb or uhda, T wqebm or hlov hbm xiyv nili vplqbyxr whvpibim qb ihds vtmi pq psi ylqebm; hbm or shtl, nstds nhv xqby hbm pstda, ptim mqnb tb psi vhoi ohbbil. T xtaintvi wixp vizilhx vxibmil xtyhpeliv hdlqvv or uqmr, wlqo or hloctpv pq or pstysv. T dqexm qbxr xqqa ecnhlmv; psi veb uiyhb pq ylqn sqp, hbm psi xtysp qwwibmim or iriv. T sihlm h dqbwevim bqtvi huqep oi, uep, tb psi cqvpeli T xhr, dqexm vii bqpstby ijdicp psi var. Tb h xtppxi ptoi T wixp vqoipstby hxtzi oqztby qb or xiwp xiy, nstds hmzhbdtby yibpxr wqlnhlm qzil or ulihvp, dhoi hxoqvp ec pq or dstb; nsib, uibmtby or iriv mqnbnhlmv hv oeds hv T dqexm, T cilditzim tp pq ui h seohb dlihpeli bqp vtj tbdsiv stys, ntps h uqn hbm hllqn tb stv shbmv, hbm h getzil hp stv uhda. Tb psi oihb ptoi, T wixp hp xihvp wqlpr oqli qw psi vhoi atbm (hv T dqbkidpelim) wqxxqntby psi wtlvp. T xhr hxx pstv nstxi, hv psi lihmil ohr uixtizi, tb ylihp ebihvtbivv: hp xibyps, vpleyyxtby pq yip xqqvi, T shm psi wqlpebi pq uliha psi vpltbyv hbm nlibds qep psi ciyv pshp whvpibim or xiwp hlo pq psi ylqebm; wql, ur xtwptby tp ec pq or whdi, T mtvdqzilim psi oipsqmv psir shm phaib pq utbm oi; hbm, hp psi vhoi ptoi, ntps h ztqxibp cexx, nstds yhzi oi ijdivvtzi chtb, T h xtppxi xqqvibim psi vpltbyv pshp ptim mqnb or shtl qb psi xiwp vtmi, vq pshp T nhv kevp huxi pq pelb or sihm huqep pnq tbdsiv. Uep psi dlihpeliv lhb qww h vidqbm ptoi, uiwqli T dqexm vitfi psio; nsiliecqb psili nhv h ylihp vsqep tb h zilr vsltxx hddibp, nsib tb hb tbvphbp T wixp huqzi hb sebmlim hllqnv mtvdshlyim qb or xiwp shbm, nstds cltdaim oi xtai vq ohbr biimxiv; hbm uivtmiv psir vsqp hbqpsil wxtysp tbpq psi htl, hv ni mq uqouv tb Ielqci, nsiliqw ohbr, T veccqvi, wixx qb or uqmr (psqeys T wixp psio bqp) hbm vqoi qb or whdi, nstds T tooimthpixr dqzilim ntps or xiwp shbm. Nsib pstv vsqnil qw hllqnv nhv qzil, T wixx h ylqhbtby ntps yltiw hbm chtb, hbm psib vpltztby hyhtb pq yip xqqvi, psir mtvdshlyim hbqpsil zqxxir xhlyil pshb psi wtlvp, hbm vqoi qw psio hppiocpim ntps vcihlv pq vptda oi tb psi vtmiv; uep, ur yqqm xeda, T shm qb oi h ueww kilatb, nstds psir dqexm bqp ctildi. T psqeysp tp psi oqvp clemibp oipsqm pq xti vptxx, hbm or mivtyb nhv pq dqbptbei vq ptxx btysp, nsib, or xiwp shbm uitby hxlihmr xqqvi, T dqexm ihvtxr wlii orvixw: hbm hv wql psi tbshutphbpv, T shm lihvqb pq uixtizi T otysp ui h ohpds wql psi ylihpivp hlotiv psir dqexm ultby hyhtbvp oi, tw psir nili hxx qw psi vhoi vtfi ntps sto pshp T vhn. Uep wqlpebi mtvcqvim qpsilntvi qw oi.

message 29: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

description

When following rainbows
How far will you go
All around the world
Flying with your beau

message 30: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Image: Read-a-Thon

Reading the Rainbow, the Leprechaun Read-a-Thon, has begun!!

Day 1 : Daily Questions
Day 1 : Daily Recommendations
Day 1 : Daily Tasks

message 31: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

The object of this game is to link two words together that are usually used in conjunction with one another one letter at a time.

Good Time

For this game, try to connect GOOD to TIME one shamrock, er, letter at a time. Each row between GOOD and TIME can only have one letter changed from the one below it or the one above it. See if you can connect the two. Once you have, send Mod account a private message with a list of words connecting GOOD to TIME.

Good - Time

This puzzle is worth 3 coins, but you can get 1 bonus coin if you can solve it in less than 9 steps (number of shamrocks on the image).

message 32: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

description

When anything goes
You're the luckiest one
I've hidden some treasure
I hope you find some

message 33: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Time for another jig! Or jigsaw. Or you can do both ☺
To get coins for this puzzle, you need to send a screenshot of the completed puzzle by private message to Mod account

Click on this link to get a jigsaw puzzle.

message 34: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

description

Find me if you can
A million places I could be
Start looking this year
Behind each slice of tree

message 35: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

megan.lynn♡ wrote: "Could this be considered a green enough cover for the Road to St. Patrick's Day challenge??
Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #1) by John Sandford"

Yes, that's fine.

message 36: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Time for some change. Let's find some words.
Word find puzzle is worth 4 coins. To get them, you need to send a screenshot of the completed puzzle by private message to Mod account

We are looking for most popular names in Ireland.
link to puzzle

Words:
AARON		ADAM		ALEX
AMELIA AOIFE CAOIMHE
CHARLIE CHLOE CIAN
CILLIAN CONOR DANIEL
DARRAGH DYLAN ELLA
EMILY EMMA GRACE
HANNAH HARRY HOLLY
JAMES KATIE LAUREN
LEAH LIAM LUCY
LUKE MICHAEL MOLLY
NOAH OISIN OLIVIA
PATRICK ROBYN RYAN
SAOIRSE SARAH SEAN
SOPHIE

For those that can't work with puzzle online:
(view spoiler)
Send your answers to Mod account with coordinates of first and last letter in the word - columns A-Z, rows 1-20.
For example: first letter (x) would be A1.

message 37: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana | 2224 comments Can I print it, solve it and then take a picture of the solved puzzle and send you the link to the picture?

message 38: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

description

Which role do you play
When you're telling the tale
Of when you searched for the treasure
And stopped for an ale

message 39: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments Are you sure this is the right image to look for --- it's a duplicate from a previous day....

message 40: by Karsyn (last edited Mar 17, 2016 10:33AM) (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) JoLene wrote: "Are you sure this is the right image to look for --- it's a duplicate from a previous day...."

Yup. I asked Rhyming Mod and she said her use of duplicates was ok. :) I think there's at least one more that will be a duplicate already seen.

message 41: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 18, 2016 06:22AM) (new)

Encrypted Quote
By substituting letters with another letters, try to figure out what the text says.
Once you have your answer, send it to Mod account in private message.

This puzzle is worth 4 coins. You can get extra bonus coin if you know author and title from where the quote was taken.

Vrq gswh ksq s qliydz—s nhim qliydz—seprxrdh, krlv vrzv uirazh yg lvh lvrd dyqh sda fhwpxrsixm siwvha dyqlirxq; krlv xyglm ayjha gyihvhsa, sda vsri ziykrdz qwsdlrxm iypda lvh lhjfxhq upl fiygpqhxm hxqhkvhih. Vrq hmhuiykq khih nhim jsqqrnh, sxjyql jhhlrdz ynhi lvh dyqh, sda krlv upqvm vsri lvsl qhhjha ly wpix rd rlq ykd fiygpqryd. Lvh jyplv, qy gsi sq R wypxa qhh rl pdahi lvh vhsnm jypqlswvh, ksq grcha sda islvhi wiphx-xyyordz, krlv fhwpxrsixm qvsif kvrlh lhhlv; lvhqh fiylipaha ynhi lvh xrfq, kvyqh ihjsiosuxh ipaardhqq qvykha sqlydrqvrdz nrlsxrlm rd s jsd yg vrq mhsiq. Gyi lvh ihql, vrq hsiq khih fsxh, sda sl lvh lyfq hclihjhxm fyrdlha; lvh wvrd ksq uiysa sda qliydz, sda lvh wvhhoq grij lvypzv lvrd. Lvh zhdhisx hgghwl ksq ydh yg hclisyiardsim fsxxyi. Vrlvhily R vsa dylrwha lvh uswoq yg vrq vsdaq sq lvhm xsm yd vrq odhhq rd lvh grihxrzvl, sda lvhm vsa qhhjha islvhi kvrlh sda grdh; upl qhhrdz lvhj dyk wxyqh ly jh, R wypxa dyl upl dylrwh lvsl lvhm khih islvhi wysiqh-uiysa, krlv qepsl grdzhiq. Qlisdzh ly qsm, lvhih khih vsriq rd lvh whdlih yg lvh fsxj. Lvh dsrxq khih xydz sda grdh, sda wpl ly s qvsif fyrdl. Sq lvh Wypdl xhsdha ynhi jh sda vrq vsdaq lypwvha jh, R wypxa dyl ihfihqq s qvpaahi. Rl jsm vsnh uhhd lvsl vrq uihslv ksq isdo, upl s vyiiruxh ghhxrdz yg dspqhs wsjh ynhi jh, kvrwv, ay kvsl R kypxa, R wypxa dyl wydwhsx. Lvh Wypdl, hnrahdlxm dylrwrdz rl, aihk uswo; sda krlv s zirj qyil yg qjrxh, kvrwv qvykha jyih lvsd vh vsa mhl aydh vrq fiylpuhisdl lhhlv, qsl vrjqhxg aykd szsrd yd vrq ykd qrah yg lvh grihfxswh. Kh khih uylv qrxhdl gyi s kvrxh; sda sq R xyyoha lyksiaq lvh krdayk R qsk lvh griql arj qlihso yg lvh wyjrdz askd. Lvhih qhhjha s qlisdzh qlrxxdhqq ynhi hnhimlvrdz; upl sq R xrqlhdha R vhsia sq rg giyj aykd uhxyk rd lvh nsxxhm lvh vykxrdz yg jsdm kyxnhq.

*You have 24 hours from when the puzzle is posted to PM t.he moderator account with the answer to the puzzle*
If you figure out this quote early on, do not copy/paste it from the book. Puzzle mod is tricky and may have edited quote so that it's not the same. You must actually figure out this quote on it's own to get the Leprechaun Coins!

message 42: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Announcement!!

During the Read-a-Thon Progress Report, one thing was clear ~

There's not enough READING going on for the READ-A-THON!!

We're here to help you with that!!

Join us, Saturday March 19th and Sunday March 20th for

Reading the Rainbow Reading Sprints
----> Reading Sprints Q&A - You have Qs, we have As
----> Reading Sprints! - Sat 3/19 & Sun 3/20
----> Reading Sprint Relay - Sun 3/20
----> Relay Sign-ups - Open Now

message 43: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

description

It's a serious challenge
To catch a leprechaun
Which level to start on
Choosing 1, I am torn

message 44: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

To get coins for slide puzzle, first you need to put image back in order. Then send a screenshot of the completed puzzle, by private message, to Mod account

Click on this link to go to slide puzzle.

message 45: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

description

It's challenging searching
Without ever stopping
Take a break, eat some pizza
With your favourite topping

message 46: by Karsyn (last edited Mar 22, 2016 10:38AM) (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) megan.lynn♡ wrote: "Was Day 21 the last daily puzzle??
**pouts out bottom lip while tear slowly forms in corner of eye..**"

Nope..... sorry. I thought it might have already been put up. I'll get it up now. I meant to check, should have checked, and just forgot. My apologies!

message 47: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Green Grass

For this game, try to connect GREEN to GRASS one shamrock, er, letter at a time. Each row between GREEN and GRASS can only have one letter changed from the one below it or the one above it. See if you can connect the two. Once you have, send Mod account a private message with a list of words connecting GREEN to GRASS.

This puzzle is worth 4 leprechaun coins. You can get 1 bonus coin if you can solve it in less than 9 steps (number of shamrocks on the image).

message 48: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

description

Despite all the light
I cannot see
where it's hidden
My search is informal
I'll go where I'm bidden

message 49: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Word wheel 'FRIENDSHIP'. Find at least 10 words using letters from friendship but all words need to start with letter F.
In those 10 words, 5 words need to be 1 of each (4-letters, 5-letters, 6-letters, 7-letters, 8-letters words). Others are your choice.
Once you have all 10 words, send Mod account a private message with your answer.

message 50: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

description

The location of treasure
Is not down or out
See if my old buddy
Mickey Mouse
is about

« previous 1