Contemporary YA discussion

Finding Audrey
This topic is about Finding Audrey
Group Reads > Finding Audrey

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andrea | 1054 comments Mod

An anxiety disorder disrupts fourteen-year-old Audrey’s daily life. She has been making slow but steady progress with Dr. Sarah, but when Audrey meets Linus, her brother’s gaming teammate, she is energized. She connects with him. Audrey can talk through her fears with Linus in a way she’s never been able to do with anyone before. As their friendship deepens and her recovery gains momentum, a sweet romantic connection develops, one that helps not just Audrey but also her entire family.

1. What did you like best about the book?
2. What did you like the least about the book?
3. Did any characters stand out to you?
4. Would you recommend this book?
5. Were there any lessons learned?
6. If you could ask the author one question what would it be?

Read... discuss and have fun!

I'll check out your review. It's a bummer when you don't like a book.

Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ (thebooknerddiariesblog) I absolutely loved this book and it's one of my favorites! I got it on my vacation not really knowing what it was about and when I started it a few months later, I quickly finished in two days or so!

The BookNerd Diaries Blog wrote: "I absolutely loved this book and it's one of my favorites!"

I'm glad you liked it. I hope I will like it too....crossing my fingers. I should be able to start it this weekend. I've owned it since last June so it's about time I get to it.

1. I loved this book! The first scene had me hooked. It was so funny. (I also had a "brain fog' SPLIT moment...I was listening to the book while I was working and I didn't get that they lived in the UK so at first I thought what kind of computer weighs 700 pounds and then I realized it cost 700 pounds...duh lol.)

I thought because of the subject matter the book might be depressing, but Audrey was proactive and determined to get better. (I'm a health coach and I work with people who deny their problems all the time. Like my triglycerides are over 400 because of genetics not be because I eat chips, candy and ice cream everyday.) So, this was very refreshing especially since Audrey was 14. I think some of my clients should read this book.)

I didn't expect to laugh out loud so many times... almost always because of her mother. The scene where she talks to Frank after she reads a book on how to talk to teenagers totally cracked me up.

The ending was absolutely perfect and I loved her documentary project which she started by saying "My Serene and Loving Family."

2. I can't say what I liked the least without spoiling it, but I will say I wanted more information on a few things.

3. All the characters were really entertaining. I loved the family dynamic and they way they supported each other. The mother was absolutely hilarious. Audrey was courageous, proactive and intelligent beyond her years. Frank was a typical teenage boy who was also intelligent, brave and addicted to gaming.

Since I listened to the audio version I was able to listen to their Dad's music and hear their accents. I think the audio made the book even more entertaining,

Linus gave her hope and a reason to improve. He pushed and challenged her to face her fears and to do some things that were very uncomfortable...that wasn't always good. Rhubarb aka Audrey was lucky to have someone like Linus in her life.

4. I would absolutely recommend this book. I'm so happy for Audrey. She's a good role model.

message 6: by Shreya (last edited Jul 03, 2016 09:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shreya Jain (shreya0594) | 6 comments I just kept waiting for the big reveal like the details of the "accident" which were brushed aside. I was waiting for the moment when Audrey tells her brother that she is dating his best friend but apparantly the parts i looked the most forward to were considered to be not even important enough to mention.
Her mom's character was annoying and the moment ahe'd appear you'd want her out of the way. I did not find her to be funny at all.
I think Audrey got over her anxiety far too easily and everything just worked out for the best without much substance or story to chew on.

Shreya wrote: "I just kept waiting for the big reveal, the details of the "accident" which were brushed aside. I was waiting for the moment when Audrey tells her brother that she is dating his best friend. But i ..."

Thanks for sharing. I hope you will enjoy your next read.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

The book takes on some serious issues: bullying, social anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia and depression. Audrey's wacky family balances out the serious issues and makes the book funny and very entertaining. It was full of laughs. I couldn't help cheering and rooting for Audrey.

Oh those characters what personality! Kinsella brought the characters to life. They were so lively, so wacky and entertaining. And Linus was just the perfect kind of friend Audrey needed and just at the right time.

I also wanted to know the details of the incident, but I believe the author was trying to make a point that the kind of incident doesn't matter. Bullying affects each individual differently. What matters most is that a person was emotionally harmed. In Audrey's case severely. A type of bulling that doesn't bother someone at all could be devastating to someone else. I hope they are reading and discussing this book in schools. It could serve as a wonderful teaching tool.

-I would ask the author if she has any experience with bullying.

-I highly recommend this book.

Andrea- I've never listened to an audiobook. I might listen to this one if my library has it.