YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > Never Always Sometimes by Adi Alsaid - Starting March 5th 2016

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84079 comments Mod
Never date your best friend.

Always be original.

Sometimes rules are meant to be broken.

Best friends Dave and Julia were determined to never be cliché high school kids—the ones who sit at the same lunch table every day, dissecting the drama from homeroom and plotting their campaigns for prom king and queen. They even wrote their own Never List of everything they vowed they’d never, ever do in high school.

Some of the rules have been easy to follow, like #5, never dye your hair a color of the rainbow, or #7, never hook up with a teacher. But Dave has a secret: he’s broken rule #8, never pine silently after someone for the entirety of high school. It’s either that or break rule #10, never date your best friend. Dave has loved Julia for as long as he can remember.

Julia is beautiful, wild and impetuous. So when she suggests they do every Never on the list, Dave is happy to play along. He even dyes his hair an unfortunate shade of green. It starts as a joke, but then a funny thing happens: Dave and Julia discover that by skipping the clichés, they’ve actually been missing out on high school. And maybe even on love

message 2: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) This looks like an interesting story, can't wait!

message 3: by Madelyn (new)

Madelyn Rose | 448 comments Feyde wrote: "This looks like an interesting story, can't wait!"

Same!

message 4: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 194 comments Are we starting today?

message 5: by Madelyn (new)

Madelyn Rose | 448 comments Yes

message 6: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 194 comments Ok. Are we each reading a certain anoint by a certain time?

message 7: by Madelyn (new)

Madelyn Rose | 448 comments I don't think so. But, when we get to a certain chapter or so, we can post an update.

message 8: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) prologue
(view spoiler)

message 9: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) The list seems like the one Ted made in HIMYM, the one Barney completes or tries to, anyway.

message 10: by prag ♻ (last edited Mar 06, 2016 11:50PM) (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Chapter 3
(view spoiler)

message 11: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Ending of part 1
(view spoiler)

message 12: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Part 2
(view spoiler)

message 13: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) 62% through
(view spoiler)

message 14: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) @Madelyn, Katherine- how far along are you guys? Did you get a chance to start reading?

message 15: by prag ♻ (last edited Mar 07, 2016 05:35AM) (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Part 3
(view spoiler)

message 16: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Sunrise
(view spoiler)

message 17: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) W A I T W H A T I S H A P P E N I N G
(view spoiler)

message 18: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Almost done
(view spoiler)

message 19: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Without him
(view spoiler)

message 20: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) FLOAT
(view spoiler)

message 21: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 194 comments Im on 130 and the solve for X chapter had me laughing out loud! I am going to start reading more in days to come. I hope to finish tomorrow.

message 22: by Madelyn (new)

Madelyn Rose | 448 comments I unfortunately haven't gotten very far-- I had to finish a book. I will try to finish ASAP.

message 23: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Katherine wrote: "Im on 130 and the solve for X chapter had me laughing out loud! I am going to start reading more in days to come. I hope to finish tomorrow."

I know right, the slam was hilarious!

message 24: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 194 comments I'm almost done with part 1, I will try to finish the entire book today by staying up!

message 25: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 194 comments I am halfway through with part 2.

Thoughts on part 1: A little slow for my liking but I hope it will pick up. The fight kind of made me feel weird but probably just because Gretchen was drunk

Part 2: Ok, LOVE TRIANGLE! I'm starting to not like Julia... her personality just annoys me. It's like she is trying to hold Dave back. I'll just see what happens though.

message 26: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 194 comments Done with part 2: Things are starting to heat up. Maybe Julia isn't so bad??

message 27: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Ha! I didn't like Julia until the end.

message 28: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 194 comments I finished the book. My favorite character was by far Marroney. Want more about this dude. He just seems so cool. As far as the book... not a big fan. It was too cliché, for lack of a better word. Very similar to John Green.