The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Pride and Prejudice
This topic is about Pride and Prejudice
Group Read Archive 2014-16 > Alternate Group Read (Classic - Mar 2016) - Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
Probably the most loved classic of all time! We're reading Pride and Prejudice for March!

If anyone would like the lead the discussion and pose questions/discussion topics, that would be great!

Roseanne | 1223 comments I love Jane Austin. I love P&P. I don't have time to reread it now. Hope everyone enjoys it.

message 3: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 5 stars

Renee M | 4719 comments Mod
P&P is always a popular favorite. Is anyone interested in leading the discussion?

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) | 812 comments It's one of my favourite books. Also love the film adaptations :-)

Ieva (itsnowhere) Pride & Prejudice is my favorite Austen! I hope everyone enjoys this read! :)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 805 comments I'm going to start this after I finished the World read. Looking forward to this!

Cindy (bkind2books) | 805 comments Such a disappointment - I had a terrible time slogging through this. Give me some action! suspense! anything besides all the drivel about dresses and appearances and gossip.

megan | 884 comments I read this in high school and I think the enthusiasm for reading my teacher had (lady owns a book and coffee company in her retirement - goal retirement!) made me appreciate it so much more than if I had just picked it up.
She made us read it out loud in class. There's a pacing that she demonstrated that made it seem like a totally different story - a sort of poetic flow similar to Shakespeare but not quite. So anything I read today that's considered classic, I read out loud to my dog. He's a well read beast.

message 9: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 5 stars

Renee M | 4719 comments Mod
Ha! That's a great story!

message 10: by Mindy (new) - added it

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I was surprised and kind of disappointed that P & P and Girl on a Train won the group reads this month. They just seem like books that everybody has already read, but maybe that's just my impression.

That said...I love Pride and Prejudice and have read it numerous times. I highly recommend the version that's annotated by David M. Shapard. He's done all of Austen's books actually. I don't suggest it for a first read-through, but it's certainly great for subsequent readings. The text and notes are on facing pages...no flipping to the end of chapters. There is SO much that readers miss simply due to not being historical scholars specializing in late-18th century England. For example, I never understood all the discussion and anxiety about whether Lydia was in London or in fact had gone to Gretna Green. There are also notes on social niceties, card games, dances, etc...cultural norms and habits that the reader isn't likely to be familiar with but that, when understood, enrich the reading.

The Annotated Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen

Mindy

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) | 812 comments Thanks for the recommendation, Mindy, I'll definitely look into it!

Hannah Richmond | 18 comments I have never read this before and also never watched the infamous BBC series - thus avoiding Mr Darcy completely.
On the whole I found it somewhat frivolous - particularly in the beginning. The third part was easier to become engrossed in and I have spent a pleasant bank holiday afternoon finishing the book but I don't think that I would read any more Austen in future.

Roseanne | 1223 comments It's suppose to be frivolous. She is mocking society. But I'm a huge Jane Austen fan and have read all her books so I'm probably a bit bias.