Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
This topic is about An Ember in the Ashes
Archive - Additional Reads > An Ember in the Ashes - March 2016

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Savanes, Moderator (last edited Mar 01, 2016 12:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Savanes | 2044 comments Mod
An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir
An Ember in the Ashes

book summary
Laia is a slave.

Elias is a soldier.

Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.

message 2: by Savanes, Moderator (last edited Mar 01, 2016 12:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm so excited about this additional read. I was so happy when it won, I did a little victory dance! :D

Anyways, I went a bit ahead and finished it 2 nights ago and I loooooooved it. I couldn't put the book down. There were a few things that bothered me (view spoiler) but I decided to give it 5 stars nonetheless.

Looking forward to all your thoughts on this one.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 6034 comments Mod
Oh wow! Five stars! Excellent! I picked up the CDs from the library, but I'm not sure I'll have time this month. I'm definitely more interested now though.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Mar 26, 2016 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

As it turns out, I will have time to start this! I don't know if I'll finish before the end of the month, but I'll try. :)

Any one else planning to read this?

Edit: This book had 28 votes in the original poll and 81 votes in the tie breaker! I hope some members stop by to share their thoughts. I'll be curious to see what everyone thinks of it.

message 5: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yay Kristie!

Vicki Willis | 865 comments I am planning on reading it. It is going to be the next book I start. Let me know when you start Kristie.

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just started today. I didn't get very far though. :)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I've already read it and I liked it. For some reason, I didn't love it and wasn't able to really connect with any of the characters. Not sure if it's due to the writing or me being a little overfilled with these kind of YA dystopia/fantasy novels or just my life being in the way of things. I found it entertaining .. just nothing to rave about.

message 9: by Vicki Willis (last edited Mar 27, 2016 08:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki Willis | 865 comments I started too and am at about 10%.
I like it so far, a lot. It started out with exciting action and I like the alternating view points.
One question I have is about (view spoiler)
I haven't read many books in this genre (YA/dystopia) and I am finding that I love them. May be a new favorite genre for me.

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vicki - I only made it to about 5% yesterday. I'll read your spoiler and reply as soon as I get a bit further. :)

Janina - I completely understand. I just read Red Queen and thought it was ok, nothing I hadn't read before really. We seemed to have been swarmed with YA dystopian books all at once and it was a bit much.

I still have Red Rising to read. I feel like they are all a bit similar, but I typically enjoy the genre. I've been told this is the best of the three, so I am hopeful.

message 11: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I preferred this one to the Red Queen. I don't know about Red rising. :)

@Vickie: (view spoiler)

message 12: by Vicki Willis (last edited Mar 27, 2016 12:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki Willis | 865 comments Am at 20% and totally hooked...

Savanes - yes, now that i have read a little further I see that now.

So (view spoiler)
I like how she is answering the questions so slowly... it is making it hard to put the book down.

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments For me, red rising was far better than any of the others and I liked red queen more as well. I guess we all have our favorites. I rated this one 3 stars...

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm about 20% in and I'm finding it interesting. There are some typical YA issues for me, but nothing too bad. Little things such as (view spoiler)

Vicki - re: your last spoiler (view spoiler)

Janina - I thought Red Queen was quite predictable. It was good, but not great to me. I'm looking forward to Red Rising too. I have heard good things about that one.

Vicki Willis | 865 comments Kristie... you are right... what they commented on was (view spoiler)

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vicki - (view spoiler)

Vicki Willis | 865 comments Kristie - At first I read it and thought what you are thinking, but then (view spoiler)

Also at 25% it said (view spoiler)

I am at the beginning of The Trials -Part 2

message 18: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm enjoying the comments. I'm so happy you both like it even with its flaws.

@Janina: I looooved red rising too except the beginning was a bit slow to me while I was hooked from the first page with this one. Then I find red rising story more original. To me, they were both favorites of mine this year. :)

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh!! I must have missed that, Vicki. I assumed they would (view spoiler)

I'm only at 20% I'll read your other spoiler later. :)

Vicki Willis | 865 comments 41%
As for Elias (view spoiler)
Also, (view spoiler)

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Re your 25% spoiler - (view spoiler)

I'm at 29%. I got a bit sidetracked by outside events, but I plan to get through a chunk today.

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

35% and (view spoiler)

Vicki Willis | 865 comments Kristie wrote: "35% and
Re to your 35% (view spoiler)

100% I finished! I tried to wait for you Kristie, but I am on vacation this week and I couldn't put the book down... :)
(view spoiler)

Needless to say... I have already preordered the next book.

message 24: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm so glad you liked it Vicki! I'm looking forward to book number 2 too!!!! :D

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Mar 31, 2016 03:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Haha! No worries, Vicki! I am really enjoying it too, but don't have quite as much time. :) I am at 52% right now. (view spoiler)

re: your 41% spoiler (view spoiler)

I'm really glad that you enjoyed it. I can't wait to finish. :)

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

55% and (view spoiler)

message 27: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

About your spoiler Kristie (view spoiler)

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Very true, Savanes! I just felt that it was a bit out of character for them, but I suppose with everything that is going on their behavior could be out of character without that being odd or inconsistent with human nature.

I'm still really enjoying the book regardless of my spoilers. lol I noticed that they sound negative, but they are really just pointing out things that bother me in the story. I think the story itself is very interesting and engaging overall.

Vicki Willis | 865 comments I am not reading your responses as negative at all. I find that the best books of all are ones that provoke thoughts and conversations. I am glad you have a lot of say about it!

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm at 79% now (view spoiler)

Hopefully, I'll finish tomorrow.

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've had one of my migraines again for the past couple of days, so I haven't been able to finish this one. I am really enjoying it and it has kept me up a couple of nights thinking about the story and where it's going. I have so many thoughts, but not enough brain power to organize any of them at the moment. Hopefully, this bugger goes away soon as I'm leaving on a short vacation tomorrow and traveling with a migraine is pretty miserable. I'm really hoping to finish tomorrow, if I can tolerate more reading. (I think I'm at 86% now.) Traveling is the perfect time to get some reading done!

message 32: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Get some rest Kristie. I hope your migraine subsided. :)

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks, Savanesl. Its finally starting to break today. So frustrating.

I finished this one yesterday and thought it was great, aside from the minor issues that I had with it. (view spoiler)

I definitely enjoyed this one more that Red Queen. I didn't feel that this one followed a formula or was really predictable. I really liked some of the twists they added in with the (view spoiler). I definitely look forward to seeing where this story goes and will read the next in the series. I ended up giving it 4 stars (4.5 really).

ending spoiler (view spoiler)

One more thing...I typically prefer books with a beginning, middle, and end. This book had a beginning and a middle, no end. So for anyone that hasn't read it yet, be prepared for the book to end pretty much mid-story. It is not a series where each book is a separate story, but where each book seems like it will continue where the last one left off. I know some people wait for the entire trilogy or series to be completed before starting it and this is one where that is probably a good strategy.