Paging All Bookworms! discussion

Chit Chat > Question of the Day - March 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah K (uberbutter) | 739 comments Mod
Tuesday's Question (March 1): How do you handle disagreements?

message 2: by Warren (new)

Warren Benton | 75 comments Kick Butt and take names?
Walk softly and carry a big stick?

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2269 comments Mod
Oh, I am terrible at this. But continue to try to get better at it. I try to disagree without being disagreeable, but sometimes (often) emotion gets the better of me.

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

March 2 - Happy Birthday Dr Seuss! In his honor, today is Read Across America Day.
Post the first sentence of the book you are reading ....

message 5: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Leah wrote: "Tuesday's Question (March 1): How do you handle disagreements?"

Book Concierge wrote: "March 2 - Happy Birthday Dr Seuss! In his honor, today is Read Across America Day.
Post the first sentence of the book you are reading ...."

Fortunate Son by John Fogert.

It all began with a record. A children's record.

message 6: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Leah wrote: "Tuesday's Question (March 1): How do you handle disagreements?"

I dont like confrontation or arguing so I tend to clam up and not say what I am really thinking unless pushed.

message 7: by Book Concierge (last edited Mar 02, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "March 2 - Happy Birthday Dr Seuss! In his honor, today is Read Across America Day.

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng - Lydia is dead.

The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam (Good Thief's Guide, #1) by Chris Ewan - "I want you to steal something for me."

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) Book Concierge wrote: "March 2 - Happy Birthday Dr Seuss! In his honor, today is Read Across America Day.

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin

"The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of Dragonstone like a wound in the pink and purple sky."

message 9: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) Koren wrote: "Leah wrote: "Tuesday's Question (March 1): How do you handle disagreements?"

I dont like confrontation or arguing so I tend to clam up and not say what I am really thinking unless pushed."

I'm the same Koren!

message 10: by Leah (new)

1. Boys in the Trees A Memoir by Carly Simon "This day may have been the day, the very day when my identity was born"

2. Columbine by Dave Cullen "He told them he loved them"

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 779 comments Leah wrote: "Tuesday's Question (March 1): How do you handle disagreements?"

I politely argue my point and if they still don't get it I walk away. I don't like confrontation.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 779 comments Book Concierge wrote: "March 2 - Happy Birthday Dr Seuss! In his honor, today is Read Across America Day.

Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2) by Alex Kava - "Del Macomb wiped the sweat from his forehead with the sleeve of his shirt." (not very exciting, huh?)

message 13: by Leah (new)

Thursday's Question (March 3): What person have you learned the most from?

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 779 comments Leah wrote: "Thursday's Question (March 3): What person have you learned the most from?"

My mom. I'm in the medical field like she is and I find myself repeating much of what she said to me to my own children.

message 15: by Leah (new)

Friday's Question (March 4): Do you have any fun weekend plans?

message 16: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Leah wrote: "Friday's Question (March 4): Do you have any fun weekend plans?"

Work.

message 17: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "Friday's Question (March 4): Do you have any fun weekend plans?"

We've got tickets to see a musical - Crowns - and then we're going to dinner with friends.

message 18: by Tracey (last edited Mar 06, 2016 12:08AM) (new)

Tracey (trakka) Leah wrote: "Friday's Question (March 4): Do you have any fun weekend plans?"

Last night I caught up with a friend from Chicago that I have known for 24 years and haven't seen for 13 years. It felt like it was only last week that we last saw each other.

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 779 comments Leah wrote: "Friday's Question (March 4): Do you have any fun weekend plans?"

I spent the weekend shopping, making sundaes and watching movies with my 2 girls. We had so much fun. I also bought another bookshelf.

message 20: by Leah (new)

Leah wrote: "Friday's Question (March 4): Do you have any fun weekend plans?"

My mom has been having some health complications so I spent the weekend with her, trying to get her back up to par :-)

message 21: by Leah (new)

Tuesday's Question (March 8): What was your favorite board game as a child? Do you still enjoy it?

message 22: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) Leah wrote: "Tuesday's Question (March 8): What was your favorite board game as a child? Do you still enjoy it?"

Backgammon and yes still love it!

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 779 comments Leah wrote: "Tuesday's Question (March 8): What was your favorite board game as a child? Do you still enjoy it?"

The only one I can think of is "Life". I didn't play many board games growing up. I do still enjoy playing it with my kids. I get them to play board games every now and then to get them off the electronic devices.

message 24: by Leah (new)

Wednesday's Question (March 9): What are your nervous habits?

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 779 comments Leah wrote: "Wednesday's Question (March 9): What are your nervous habits?"

I chew the inside of my bottom lip when I'm nervous or stressed. My dentist has gotten on my case about it. I also smoke.

message 26: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Leah wrote: "Tuesday's Question (March 8): What was your favorite board game as a child? Do you still enjoy it?"
I dont remember playing very many board games as a child. I'm sure I played Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders. Seems like I've played Scrabble forever and yes, I still love it.

message 27: by Leah (new)

Leah wrote: "Wednesday's Question (March 9): What are your nervous habits?"

Nail chewing

message 28: by Leah (new)

Thursday's Question (March 10): What do you think is one of the most undervalued professions right now?

message 29: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Leah wrote: "Thursday's Question (March 10): What do you think is one of the most undervalued professions right now?"

Teachers. I dont think they get paid near what they are worth. After that nurses.

message 30: by Warren (new)

Warren Benton | 75 comments As a husband of a first grade teacher I feel she is highly undervalued and often over worked. But she loves teaching the kids how to read.

message 31: by Leah (new)

Wednesday's Question (March 16): On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy are you with your life right now?

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "Tuesday's Question (March 8): What was your favorite board game as a child? Do you still enjoy it?"

Parcheesi ... I could play it for hours. And yes, I do still have a game board, though I haven't played it in quite a while. Might be a good diversion this afternoon ....

message 33: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "Wednesday's Question (March 16): On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy are you with your life right now?"

Bad time to ask ... as Hubby is recovering from spinal fusion surgery and I am consumed by being his nurse. Gosh, I feel so sleep-deprived, must be how a new mother feels.

But forgetting about that ... which I know will pass ... I'd say I'm at about a 9 in terms of happiness with my life. There's always room for improvement, but in general I'm quite happy.

message 34: by Book Concierge (last edited Mar 20, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Sunday March 20 Question of the Day - If you could become invisible for a week, what would you do?

message 35: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 362 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Sunday March 20 Question of the Day - If you could become invisible for a week, what would you do?"

No. It seems to be that the older I get the more invisible I get. I was at the food court in a local mall waiting to be waited on and the cashier started to take the person behind me order. I felt invisible that day. And that's not easy considering I'm no featherweight.

message 36: by Leah (new)

Monday's Question (March 21): What do you think we could do to best improve the education system?

message 37: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) Leah wrote: "Monday's Question (March 21): What do you think we could do to best improve the education system?"

Stop the budget cuts! (That's in the UK anyway.)

message 38: by Book Concierge (new)

Sheila wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Sunday March 20 Question of the Day - If you could become invisible for a week, what would you do?"

No. It seems to be that the older I get the more invisible I get. I was a..."

Oh, Sheila, that's TERRIBLE!
If I were invisible I'd make that cashier's life miserable!

message 39: by Warren (new)

Warren Benton | 75 comments I think something that could help all education would be a little parental involvement. Lots of kids need education reinforced at home.

I also think tenure should be done away with. If as a teacher you aren't effective you should not be able to stay in that position.

As the husband of a teacher, I think more pay because she works way more hours than just when she has kids in her room.

message 40: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 779 comments Warren wrote: "I think something that could help all education would be a little parental involvement. Lots of kids need education reinforced at home.

I also think tenure should be done away with. If as a teach..."

I totally agree with you, Warren. On all 3.

message 41: by Leah (new)

Tuesday's Question (March 22): What impact do you want to leave on the world?

message 42: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "Tuesday's Question (March 22): What impact do you want to leave on the world?"

If even one person remembers a kindness I extended and is inspired to "pay it forward" I think that is an impact for the good.

message 43: by Leah (new)

Thursday's Question (March 24): What was your last impulse buy?

message 44: by Amy (new)

Amy Lash extensions for bar mitzvah. First time try! Not exactly an impulse buy, but a luxury buy. Love them! Don't I look gorgeous! Good for tired readers eyes - lol.

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 779 comments Leah wrote: "Thursday's Question (March 24): What was your last impulse buy?"

Probably something for my kids. I'm very OCD and very rarely do anything on impulse.

message 46: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) Leah wrote: "Thursday's Question (March 24): What was your last impulse buy?"

Books! :-) I always say to myself that I DO NOT need any more books, I have enough to last me for years and then I see a good deal or another book I really must read.....

message 47: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 362 comments Leah wrote: "Thursday's Question (March 24): What was your last impulse buy?"

Books, definitely books! I went to two book conferences in the past month and bought many, many books.

message 48: by Book Concierge (new)

Sunday, March 27 .... Happy Easter!
What's your traditional Easter feast? Ham? Lamb? ....?

message 49: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 362 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Sunday, March 27 .... Happy Easter!
What's your traditional Easter feast? Ham? Lamb? ....?"

Ham, potato salad, some type of jello salad, and a very simple Easter Bunny cake.

message 50: by Amy (new)

Amy Threw traditional post bar mitzvah Jewish brunch for Easter…. Bagels, lox/nova, egg salad, whitefish, and tuna spreads, I made homemade knishes, and they were delish. There was chocolate rugelah, a smattering of donuts for the 8 camp kids who stayed over, leftover cake, egg rolls, fruit. Oh, and bought Tom Brady Easter Candy… Gluten free and purported to have hidden 50 secret golden eggs within, where you could win up to $5000.00 and a signed Patriots Jersey. Figured it was our lucky day, so why not buy one of each. But no golden egg contained within. Gave them away to a gluten free family apiece. A perfect "easter" brunch, after the most spectacular and profound Satruday night our family has ever had. My holy child jumped on the trampoline all afternoon and played football and basketball with his friends and cousins, all in their lime green giveaway t-shirts. All in all, an amazing weekend, and the brunch just topped it off.

« previous 1