Journey to the Center of the Earth Journey to the Center of the Earth question

Multiple Versions!
Laura Laura Feb 29, 2016 06:32PM
I'm currently reading a version where the names are changed to "Professor Hardwigg" and "Harry." I understand the book is translated from French, but it is completely changed. The opening of the book begins with "Looking back at all that has occurred to me since that eventful day, I am scarcely able to believe in the reality of my adventures." The original begins with "May 24, 1863, a Sunday, my uncle, Professor Lidenbrock, returned precipitately
to his small house located at number 19, Königstrasse.." My question is who wrote my version/translation, why did they claim Jules' name, and why is this even an accepted translation, considering its completely rewritten. what am I reading haha

This is a major problem with English translations of Jules Verne's books. Journey to the Centre of the Earth is a particularly sorry case - the version you're reading is a very poor translation, with a lot of things changed for no reason whatsoever.

Take a look at this site, which lists a number of common translations for all his books, and marks them in relation to their quality: http://jv.gilead.org.il/evans/VerneTr.... For JttCotE, the best translations are the ones by Robert Baldick and William Butcher.