The Bowie Book Club discussion

March 2016 - In Cold Blood > Which edition are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lidiana (new)

Lidiana | 440 comments Mod
Share with others any comments you may have about the book edition you are reading. This topic was created to help clearing any doubts on differences that the book may have from one publishing house to another.

This topic may be used to share information regarding where to get the book, as well. Do not share illegal files. Let’s be considerate with the authors. I don't think In Cold Blood is already on Public Domain, but someone correct me if I am wrong...

message 2: by Mariana (new)

Mariana Lessa (ainelessa) I'm reading the 2000 edition by Penguin 20th century classics. It's a very good edition!

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Chumley Garland | 8 comments In Cold Blood The Modern Library Edition.

message 4: by Lidiana (new)

I'll be reading the Vintage International edition... This one, I think: In Cold Blood

message 5: by The Reading Bibliophile (last edited Mar 04, 2016 12:42AM) (new)

The Reading Bibliophile | 564 comments Mod
I'll be reading the Vintage Int'l edition, with a different cover. Nothing special other that the book smells gooooooood!

message 6: by Suellen (new)

Suellen Rubira (suellenr) | 31 comments Mod
I'll be reading the Penguin edition

message 7: by Pedro (new)

Pedro Henrique | 36 comments I'm reading the Vintage International edition, kindle version In Cold Blood

message 8: by Lidiana (new)

Let me ask you one thing: is everyone reading In Cold Blood in English?

I am curious because the first time I read it, I did in Portuguese, and surprisingly enough, I felt the translation seemed more fluid than the original.

I know the dilemma original x translation is old news, but usually we rant on how the second changed the first. In this case in particular, I congratulate the translator!

The Reading Bibliophile | 564 comments Mod
I haven't opened it yet, but I'll read it in English. Some translators are extremely good :-)

message 10: by Kathi (new)

Kathi Yes, I'm reading it in English. Unfortunately, for the most part I am monolingual. I'd be very curious to read a translation to see how it handles the descriptions of a very American place and time.

message 11: by Lidiana (new)

Kathi wrote: "Yes, I'm reading it in English. Unfortunately, for the most part I am monolingual. I'd be very curious to read a translation to see how it handles the descriptions of a very American place and time."

I don't know why, but I feel that the descriptions in Portuguese are less tiresome... Where are the other Portuguese speakers? hehehehe

message 12: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 183 comments I've finally managed to get a copy of the book, and looks like I'm reading in Croatian after all.

message 13: by Joéverson (new)

Joéverson (joeverson) | 32 comments Lidiana wrote: "Let me ask you one thing: is everyone reading In Cold Blood in English?

I am curious because the first time I read it, I did in Portuguese, and surprisingly enough, I felt the translation seemed m..."

Really, the Portuguese translation is very good, Lidiana!

message 14: by Lidiana (new)

Joéverson wrote: "Lidiana wrote: "Let me ask you one thing: is everyone reading In Cold Blood in English?

I am curious because the first time I read it, I did in Portuguese, and surprisingly enough, I felt the tran..."

I liked more the translation than the original hahahahaha