Our Shared Shelf discussion

1915 views
Announcements > Emma Watson Interviews Gloria Steinem for Our Shared Shelf - The Video

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
Our apologies for the slight delay with this, but here it is! the video from Wednesday's Emma Watson and Gloria Steinem event, exclusively for Our shared Shelf members first!

https://www.goodreads.com/group/17958...

Direct YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm6ES...

Enjoy!


message 2: by Shana (new)

Shana Kaplan (sek1128) | 93 comments Awesome! Off to go watch.


message 3: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Great to have a video! :) Also, for non-native English speakers, we're working on a transcription already so that we can look into translating the video into at least a couple of languages shortly. :)


message 4: by Isa (new)

Isa (isa2) | 3 comments Yay! I'm so excited to watch it. :) I'll be using it as motivation to get through my studies tonight.


message 5: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Echevarría | 29 comments Ana wrote: "Great to have a video! :) Also, for non-native English speakers, we're working on a transcription already so that we can look into translating the video into at least a couple of languages shortly. :)"
If you need help with the Spanish translation, I'd gladly help! I'm a literary translator. Also, I am fluent in Italian.


message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita | 87 comments Wonderful! Looking forward to watching this.


Agnes Szalkowska | 386 comments Thx jo ;)


message 8: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Fantastic! Happy we can all experience this :)


message 9: by Shana (new)

Shana Kaplan (sek1128) | 93 comments Emma and Gloria are both fascinating! The conversation was very intriguing, inspiring, thought-provoking, and informative. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you Emma and all invovled in making it possible to record the event and post it so everyone is able to view this incredible conversation.


message 10: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 7 comments Thanks for sharing!


message 11: by Ashwin (new)

Ashwin (ashiot) | 215 comments I could notice that there was a part of video that was edited out, there was a noticeable jerk, and I am pretty sure what that part was (knowing all that was discussed from sources). Was it a copyright issue, or was it an issue with video sharing platform being prudes?

Anyhow, nice interview. I do not agree with everything that was said but yes it was worth the wait.


message 12: by Malinda (new)

Malinda | 1 comments The video conversation is so moving. It's like watching glowing lanterns glow even brighter as two voices flicker one after the other with importance, illumination, and generous sharing to become one torch. Thank you so abundantly for your beautiful work, Emma & Gloria.


message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Miller (rosethorn7) | 123 comments Yay!


message 14: by Helen (new)

Helen (helen2u) | 306 comments OMG! People worked overnight and stayed up really late to finish editing and upload it on youtube, I mean to upload at 3 am or something is difficult! Thank you for all effort to get this done!


message 15: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 26 comments Thanks for sharing. Too bad the audience Q&As were edited.


message 16: by Simone (new)

Simone | 85 comments Unfortunately I couldn't watch it.


message 17: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
I'm afraid the bit you mention was edited out in order to make it, uhhh, family-friendly, so to say, Ashwin. :)


message 18: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments Ana wrote: "I'm afraid the bit you mention was edited out in order to make it, uhhh, family-friendly, so to say, Ashwin. :)"

Would it be possible to release also the original version for adults to watch?


message 19: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Hmmmm. AFAIK it took foreverrrr to upload this one already because YouTube sucks, but I'll ask. Otherwise, I guess we could tell people what the edited bit was about. Plenty of references in the media, though.


message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, they did cut out a section of a few seconds. Given the reaction of the media to this bit and the fact that the content of the mentioned page is not suitable for minors (that could be discussed, however), it may be reasonable to do so. Still, it's a pity, not because I was the one asking to question but because the answer was part of the things I think women should know about. Female sexuality should be talked about!


message 21: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
I thought the media reaction was so ridiculous. 'ERMAGERRRD Emma Watson talks about...!' Ugh, people, grow up already. Personally, it came as a surprise to me that the company in charge edited it out...but as you say, this was surely one of the reasons. Because grown-ups still get all silly and excited when female sexuality is put on the table, let alone solo stuff, gasp. The horror.


message 22: by Helen (new)

Helen (helen2u) | 306 comments Ana wrote: "I thought the media reaction was so ridiculous. 'ERMAGERRRD Emma Watson talks about...!' Ugh, people, grow up already. Personally, it came as a surprise to me that the company in charge edited it o..."

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.


message 23: by Savannah, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Savannah (dssharris) | 321 comments Mod
Ana wrote: "I thought the media reaction was so ridiculous. 'ERMAGERRRD Emma Watson talks about...!' Ugh, people, grow up already. Personally, it came as a surprise to me that the company in charge edited it o..."

Loving your post, haha. <3 So true.


message 24: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (missyrs) | 24 comments Thank you so much for giving us all the chance to be the audience for this fabulous conversation!

It was so encouraging and challenging to me - really loved it! I've not read 'My Life on the Road' yet .... want to read much more of GS's writings though as well as that one!

Also - I loved that there was a bit of the politics of the 'brexit' issue in there - as I've been trying to piece together my full thoughts on it - and have been instinctively leaning towards one side more than the other - this really helped by giving me more of the equality perspective!

Also really encouraged me to look into the new Women's political party!

All in all - just great!

Thanks.

Rx


message 25: by Dario (new)

Dario | 7 comments Ana wrote: "Great to have a video! :) Also, for non-native English speakers, we're working on a transcription already so that we can look into translating the video into at least a couple of languages shortly. :)"

If you need a translation in italian i'll be glad to help.


message 26: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments So it was about the female orgasm? Seriously. Talk about adding to the image of sex being shameful. Well done, puritans. Will have to do my own investigation clearly, since sex is such a horrible thing.


message 27: by Romina (new)

Romina Scianatico | 37 comments I've just watched this video and I have to take a moment to fan-girl because Emma Watson said my name (even though she pronounced it wrong but I don't even care, I'm so happy) and I'm grinning ear to ear!!!!!

Now, that's out of the way. It was so inspiring to see these two women together. I did find it interesting that they cut some things out and since I couldn't be there, I would love to see those bits. Do you think they will ever be released? It's a shame that something as important as female sexuality was removed from the final product.

Lastly, a very big thank you to everyone who worked on putting this video together and stayed up all night to do so! You're amazing! Thank you to Gloria Steinem for her time and eloquence. Thank you to Emma Watson for creating this book club and a place for feminists all over the world can interact.


message 28: by Aglaea (last edited Mar 01, 2016 06:00AM) (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments Romina wrote: "I've just watched this video and I have to take a moment to fan-girl because Emma Watson said my name (even though she pronounced it wrong but I don't even care, I'm so happy) and I'm grinning ear ..."

Heh, congrats! You're a celebrity by connection now.

As for the sex stuff, I just read the Buzzfeed article linked to in another thread, and have to say I was surprised by both article content and comments. What is more important than sex? I'm serious. What is more important than for a woman to define her whole existence, sex and all, the way she wishes to?

Commenters said that it wasn't relevant to focus on the sex website Emma apparently subscribes to, but what the heck, it is one of the most essential issues of feminism to be allowed to do; define who you are and what you like, how you wish to be viewed by others.


message 29: by Denis (new)

Denis (DenisOfficial) | 12 comments I love everything that doing Emma.
It was a wonderful interview. From one side: kind, intelligent writer Gloria Steinem and on the other side: cheerful and thoughtful Emma. This interview for me can play an important role in my life. I learned many things important in human relations, feminism and so on. And I want to say a huge thanks to Emma for your work.
Best Regards, Denis x


message 30: by Emily (new)

Emily (emyvrooom) | 64 comments Ana wrote: "I thought the media reaction was so ridiculous. 'ERMAGERRRD Emma Watson talks about...!' Ugh, people, grow up already. Personally, it came as a surprise to me that the company in charge edited it o..."

I haven't been following the media reaction to the interview at all, I'll definitely be doing some googling in a few minutes. It's ridiculous that female/women's sexuality is immediately pounced upon and made radicalized by people who feel uncomfortable with it when it would be better for everyone if they just listened with an open mind to the conversation.


message 31: by Emily (new)

Emily (emyvrooom) | 64 comments Considering how Emma has been incessantly sexualized by the media since she was a child on-screen, it's so infuriating to know that the same media outlets are freaking out about her taking charge of her own sexual pleasures and desires by embracing them and discussing the topic with others.

As soon as women take charge of THEIR own sexuality, it's like we've done something inherently wrong. The media and the public want to speculate about our bodies and have control, and when they don't have that control we are made to feel like we have violated other people's rights to our own bodies.


message 32: by Emily (new)

Emily (emyvrooom) | 64 comments Kodak wrote: "Those shorts you may be referring to are already on YouTube which have been edited out by the original company, so that is out of our hands, and the only copy we have access to.

Very sorry!

K x"


I'm thrilled with the content you were able to provide us with!

That being said, I hate that the production company was just able to censor certain pieces. For those of us who didn't have the opportunity to be in the room, I feel a little manipulated by that little maneuver to leave out an important discussion of female sexuality.

As a viewer, I value being able to come to my own conclusions about the material, rather than some third-party entity deciding what I get to see and what I need to be protected from. Another day in the life of being a woman...


message 33: by Mattie (new)

Mattie (maitreyeemayhem) | 26 comments Watching!! I am so excited for this and the next book. Wish they post it soon!


message 34: by Donika (new)

Donika | 18 comments I am so happy that the video was uploaded (plus on my day off so that gave me even more time to watch and think about what had been said!!!).

I enjoyed the discussion very much, especially about the importance of being a loving, nurturing and caring father and to try educating our boy children to become like that. And it made me realise that this is not only important for equality in a marriage but also in the society and hence in the functioning of our democracies (as Gloria said).

But to be honest, I disagree with Gloria Steinam when she links climate change with abortion law and other restriction on woman bodies.

On one hand, I completely agree when she and Emma said that gender inequality is linked to other problems, which are wrongly perceived as more urgent than gender gap. But then, accordinig to me, it is not true to say that there is global warming because we make women have babies they don't want, which create a surpopulation.

The world population is larger than it has ever been and this is of course exacerbated by policies on woman bodies, which in turn is bad for environment . But to be fair, countries that polutes the most are developped countries because they consume much more and it is also those countries that usually have the lowest fertility rate (children pro woman). So when Gloria Steinam says that Global warming is caused by a too large population, her opinion actually has for a consequence to put the blame of global warming on under-developped countries, where women have more children because they aren't as free as women in western countries to make choices about their bodies (when and how many children they want).

I know that such countries as China and India are huge polluter and also face a problem with surpopulation but, I have to ask myself, would these countries pollute this much, when we, western countries, wouldn't produce everything there to make bigger profits by paying workers close to nothing??

I would love to have your opinion on this matter! Have I understood what she meant wrong? Do I underestimate the problem of surpopulation, when it comes to global warming?

As for the editing... when will it be ok to say that girls and women too, masturbate? I don't mean it as a reproach but I must be honest and say that I am a bit disappointed with the company that made the editing. I don't think that people under 15 would be watching this interview anyway and 15yo is maybe underaged but it is a great age to be talking about sexuality in an open and respectful way. Espacially when it comes to female sexuality. Because by 18, this age range would have already been brainwashed by pornography, so it might be too late by then to start talking respectfully about sexualtiy/masturbation as the natural activity that it is.

PS. I always fear that my opinion will be misinterpreted on the internet because we don't talk face to face (plus I am writing in another language as french). So to be clear, I am against restrictive policies on women bodies and I believe in climate change. I just don't think that these two topics can be directly linked as GS did in the interview.


message 35: by Helen (new)

Helen (helen2u) | 306 comments Donika wrote: "I am so happy that the video was uploaded (plus on my day off so that gave me even more time to watch and think about what had been said!!!).."

People get into self pleasing by age 12. Yes women and girls give themselves pleasure and Some men will not accept it, simply because some of them don't make any profits. That is why the porn industry continues to thrive. The way it was cut made me think about it, it was quite an obvious one, quite an abrupt cut then jumps to the next question rapidly. I hope we will get the whole discussion.


message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Any child who likes Emma Watson will google her name before watching the interview a hundred times, and he/she will find plenty of webs talking about it as if it was such a scandal. What worries me most is the fact that media treats her as an entertainment. Everything she says is not taken seriously by them, and they just use it like: look what this famous idiot said today! We've got used to this banal way the media treats information and people, and the more we normalize it, the more it grows. And as always the only reason is money. Media isn't trying to give information, but to have as many readers as possible, and the more banally you offer the information, the more readers you have. Most people don't want to think, just to entertain themselves a little bit.

So that ends up in making people not give a shit about anybody and anything because we see everything as an entertainment, not as something useful. That's why any kind of activism from the inside of a corrupted system is a loss of time. We all should let/help the system collapse :D


message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 01, 2016 08:55AM) (new)

And by the way this is because of capitalism.

Ah, and hiding sex from children wouldn't be necessary if some adults weren't such gross perverts. We force children to see sex as something shameful because we adults aren't able to control ourselves, and that's the only way our stupid minds find to protect them.


message 38: by Jazzy (last edited Mar 01, 2016 01:26PM) (new)

Jazzy Le Grice | 8 comments Inspiring interview! I was so moved by the part about how women can have a long conversation about what they don't like about themselves. I was wondering if we could start a thread that centers on support for people who have low self-esteem? I, for one, suffer from low confidence and I think that a place in this book club where we could help each other become more confident in ourselves would be amazing (:


message 39: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Le Grice | 8 comments Leo wrote: "Any child who likes Emma Watson will google her name before watching the interview a hundred times, and he/she will find plenty of webs talking about it as if it was such a scandal. What worries me..."

Couldn't agree more! (:


message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

such inspirations! so glad I've such amazing idols and inspirations


message 41: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Folks, the video is emmazing! Gloria and Emma really are a great interviewer and interviewee. (Still not sure if this word exists, sounds so strange to me.)

Although I do not share Gloria's opinion on a few accounts, I still like the interview very much.

But I'm still curious for the edited parts. Might someone be nice and post a link, so that we can still watch them.


message 42: by Emily (last edited Mar 02, 2016 09:06AM) (new)

Emily (emyvrooom) | 64 comments The conversation between Emma and Gloria was featured on Buzzfeed :)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kimberleydadd...


message 43: by Sabina (new)

Sabina Tocco | 50 comments Thank you for sharing the video and the conversation!!

I'm sorry if I'm not very present here :( I'm doing all my best, believe me ahahah :)


message 44: by Gabe (new)

Gabe | 11 comments It's a lovely conversation. One that I would definitely re-watch it over and over again. It's really inspiring to hear that we need to "accept the slowness of social justice movements", and nothing will stop Gloria from promoting gender equality. I think it's a great message for all of us who want to take part in this movement. There are no doubt opposing forces, but it's essential to stick to the original intention of this whole movement, and keep grinding!

I am so grateful to you Emma for setting up this book club, it makes me learn so much and get exposed to the issue of feminism, and correct my understanding of this word, as I long perceived that feminism was about female dominance, until I heard your UN speech. So, thanks for making all these happen!

And of course, thanks to all the moderators here for organizing the discussion boards, editing and putting up this video.


message 45: by Magda (new)

Magda | 52 comments Ana wrote: "Great to have a video! :) Also, for non-native English speakers, we're working on a transcription already so that we can look into translating the video into at least a couple of languages shortly. :)"

Anna if you need help, let me know


message 46: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
So far I'm doing the transcription and I hope to offer you the translation into Spanish pretty soon! :) However, it'd be lovely to have as many languages as possible, so once I've got the transcription ready (pretty, pretty soon as I've already started!), I'll leave it here so that each of you can contribute with your mother tongue, as long as you feel prepared for the task! :)


message 47: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth Zguta (zguta) Jo wrote: "Our apologies for the slight delay with this, but here it is! the video from Wednesday's Emma Watson and Gloria Steinem event, exclusively for Our shared Shelf members first!

https://www.goodreads..."

Thank you - excellent conversation.


message 48: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments Speaking of nothing, but I love the gesture Gloria is doing on the still photo on our group frontpage. Just like the philosophers, "I speak now".


message 49: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Harre | 24 comments This was awesome. I just ordered two of the book Gloria recommended...."Sex and World Peace" and her book "Self-Esteem, Revolution from within". I look forward to reading these books along with the books recommended for the book club.


message 50: by Audrey (last edited Mar 04, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Audrey Schutte | 8 comments Please, please have a conversation with Alice Walker! ❤️ I absolutely loved this video.


« previous 1
back to top