The Grishaverse discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Leigh Bardugo Q&As > LEIGH BARDUGO Q&A - 5/1 at 3pm EST

Comments Showing 1-50 of 157 (157 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Fierce Reads (new)

Fierce Reads (fiercereads) | 54 comments Mod
Leigh will be joining us on Thursday, May 1 at 3pm EST / 12pm PST to answer your questions about Shadow and Bone, the first book in the Grisha Trilogy!

Where did she get the idea for The Grisha Trilogy? Had she always planned to make the Darkling her villain? What was it like for her first book to hit the New York Times bestseller list?

Ask away and Leigh will answer tomorrow!

And for anyone asking questions about the end of Shadow and Bone, please include a little spoiler alert for fans who haven't finished yet. Thank you!

message 2: by Carina (new)

Carina Olsen (carinabooks) | 671 comments YAY :D So excited. <3 (Though I'm not sure I actually have any questions, lol. <3) But I cannot wait to see Leigh's answers to others questions :)

message 3: by Bee (new)

Bee (nbeewrites) Yay!

Where did you get the inspiration for this world?
Also, do you remember my review with the standing ovation and bow from Eric (True Blood)? Lolz.

message 4: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Arkin (jaimearkin) | 1 comments What was your favorite scene to write in Shadow & Bone, and why?

message 5: by Cari (last edited Apr 30, 2014 10:37PM) (new)

Cari | 644 comments This is great! I'm finishing my re-read and will post more questions shortly.

This is kind of a behind-the-scenes question but...
1. How did the Darkling react once he realized Alina was gone? Did he go looking for her that night?

2. A couple of times in S&B, the Darkling looks at Mal and Alina and seems to suddenly know information about them. Is it because he's good at reading people or because he read minds?

3. At the Little Palace before Alina, how did the Darkling choose his favorites, the ones who get to wear amplifiers?

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie | 3 comments I know there are lots of Darkling fans out there, do you think there are any redeeming qualities that he possesses? Why his he such a likeable, evil character?

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie | 3 comments Have you ever thought about extending the Grisha realm? Graphic Novel? Fashion line?

message 8: by Cam (new)

Cam Mciver (macnoremac) | 2 comments Are you currently writing any books in other series'? If so, what books?

message 9: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Hall (kristinehallways) | 1 comments Would you consider doing a bridge book, written from the perspective of the Darkling? I would LOVE to get inside his head.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura | 18 comments How does the Witch of Duva relate to Shadow and Bone?
I get how the other novellas relate to the other books, so I'm thinking that I'm missing some sort of connection.

message 11: by Cam (new)

Cam Mciver (macnoremac) | 2 comments Is there any possibility for a movie for Shadow and Bone?

message 12: by Elena (new)

Elena (anele99) | 355 comments How comes that we know nothing about the first grisha? And how did the darkling get The Black Heretic as a shall we call it a nickname? What about human amplifires, are there a lot of them out there? Also why did you make Alina a cartographer?
P.S. Hello from Romania! Me & my friends want to thank you for this amazing book and the fact that it gave us a lot of good memories and the fact that it made me realize how important are your friends when you really need them.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 7 comments I don't think this will get answered, but I'm going to ask it anyways: What's the Darkling's name?

Vera the Escutcheon of Wolves (escutcheonofwolves) Kristine wrote: "Would you consider doing a bridge book, written from the perspective of the Darkling? I would LOVE to get inside his head."

Man I would so love to see that happening, being able to see the prospective of The Darkling. Would you? I would DIE to read it >3

message 15: by Enakshi (new)

Enakshi  (beggin4books) | 1 comments Did you get some of your ideas for the Grisha Trilogy from Avatar: the last airbender?

message 16: by WinterRose (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments Thanks for doing this Leigh! You're awesome. :)

1. After the party, did the Darkling go to Alina's chambers?

2. How long had the Darkling and his crew been following Mal and Alina in the woods?

message 17: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (crazyrandomhappenstance) | 22 comments There is a subtle shift in Mal's behavior before they first enter the Shadow Fold, the scene where he wants to get a drink with Alina, "just you and me," though we don't know until much later of his feelings for Alina.

Was Mal finally trying to push their relationship in a romantic direction at that point?

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole8469) | 2 comments What did you enjoy writing more? The Alina/darlkling scenes or the alina/mal scenes? x

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole8469) | 2 comments *darkling

message 20: by Lynn (last edited Apr 30, 2014 05:09PM) (new)

Lynn | 7 comments What was the Darkling thinking the first time he saw Alina?
Is there another reason that he chose the name Darkling (other than the obvious him being able to control darkness thing)? Why did he change his name at all?

message 21: by Carina (new)

Carina Olsen (carinabooks) | 671 comments Will you ever write more from Mal's point of view? :)
(the letter he/you wrote was amazing. <3)

message 22: by WinterRose (last edited Apr 30, 2014 02:14PM) (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments Was 120 years old a random number the Darkling chose as his age [when he told Alina] or did it have some sort of meaning?

message 23: by Abigayle (last edited Apr 30, 2014 02:24PM) (new)

Abigayle | 148 comments Where to begin... I'll try to keep it limited to Shadow and Bone. Thanks for giving us a Q&A Leigh!!!
1. Did something happen between Mal and Zoya at the camps while Alina was away?
2. Did the Darkling read the letters that Genya received from Alina? (I guess that's more related towards the Tailor but please answer)
3. How did the Darkling find out Alina ran away from the palace? Did he actually go visit her room?
4. What happened to Mal's letter that he wrote to Alina that was found "near the northern border?"
5. Can other Grisha besides dark and sun summoners use the Cut? If so, how exactly because don't the other Grisha like Etheralki manipulate things like air pressure and combustible substances?
6. Was the Darkling heavily drinking during the tent scene before the last trip to the fold?
7. Because Mal and Alina's ages were guessed and given the Duke Keramzin's birthday... are they as old as they think they are?
8. Are the other deer in Morozova's herd less powerful amplifiers compared to the stag?
9. Can you estimate how long ago the whole Black Heretic and creation of the Fold was before the S&B events?

message 24: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (crazyrandomhappenstance) | 22 comments Are we going to find out about Mal and Alina's lost childhoods, parents, background, etc?

Are you working on any other books after this?

message 25: by WinterRose (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments How does the Cut work? Like what actually does the cutting? How does light and/or darkness actually cut something physical?

message 26: by Ameyia (new)

Ameyia | 1 comments Hello there Ms. Bardugo. I wanted to say, Thank you, so much, for all of the work and time you put into making this series. I have just been hooked to them!

I am not sure if this question has been asked yet, so I am very sorry if this is a repeat. I was wondering though how you pick out your character names? Names can have such big meaning to the characters. So I always wonder what kind of back story goes into finding the perfect name for each character.
Thanks so much!!

message 27: by Georjandavis (new)

Georjandavis | 12 comments Cari wrote: " This is kind of a behind-the-scenes question but...
1. How did the Darkling react once he realized Alina was gone? D..."

Love this question!

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Jordan | 103 comments Okay, SUUUUPER important, did Mal and Zoya actually do the groove thing when they first met in Kribirsk? I just need to hear it come out of your mouth.

What's up with Baghra? That stifling hot house? How trustworthy is her word? Can we believe everything she's said?

You are so legit, LB! I can't wait for Siege and Storm!!

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Jordan | 103 comments And by siege and storm I mean ruin and rising. Ha!

message 30: by WinterRose (last edited Apr 30, 2014 02:56PM) (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments Yes, why IS Baghra's house always so hot and stuffy?

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Jordan | 103 comments Also, I know the Darkling and Alina are summoners, but how are they totally unique? The order of the grisha only names 2 types of Corporalki, 3 types of Etherealki, and 2 types of Materialki. Where does a tailor fit? Might we see other types of grisha that don't fit within these 7 categories?

message 32: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (crazyrandomhappenstance) | 22 comments Who's the Darkling's Father? Evil?

message 33: by Stef (new)

Stef | 1 comments Did the Darkling develop any real feelings for Alina or was he always after her powers?

message 34: by Aria (new)

Aria Ahmer (viramage) | 1 comments Hello ^_^ If there was anything you could change about the books, what would it be and why? And what did you feel was the hardest task when writing the trilogy? Did you have the ending and events all planned out before writing them or did they just come into mind as you wrote?

message 35: by WinterRose (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments Why did the Darkling choose an eclipse for his symbol?

message 36: by WinterRose (last edited May 01, 2014 12:38PM) (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments I know you can't tell us right now, but will we ever have an idea of what the Darkling would have said if Alina had gone to him with Baghra's rumors instead of running away? I'm just super curious what his reaction would have been had she gone to him instead of running.

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Jordan | 103 comments Yes, yes, that!!! ^^^^^

message 38: by Maddi (new)

Maddi Britch | 57 comments Hey Ms. Bardugo, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions!

1.) Did the Darkling have any past relationships/hookups ? Don't judge me for asking, even Alina was wondering about his past romantic history lol :)

2.) Before Shadow and Bone was even released, what love interest did you anticipate being the most popular?

3.) Do the volcra have even the faintest trace of humanity left in them? How did the Fold turn them into such anatomically different creatures?

4.) What are some things that didn't make it into the book and why?

5.) Sarah J. Maas recently released a hardcover book, The Assassin's Blade , which contains all of the novellas for her Throne of Glass series in a convenient physical copy. Do you think your publishers would ever be interested in doing the same to your novellas?

6.) Others have asked if you will be writing more about the Grisha universe and I am wondering that too. But are there any plans in the future for a completely new series?

message 39: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (crazyrandomhappenstance) | 22 comments If the Darkling was forced to perform a karaoke version of a Queen song, which song would he chose?

message 40: by WinterRose (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments I would also like to know if Mal and Zoya..tumbled. :)

message 41: by Georjandavis (new)

Georjandavis | 12 comments Abigayle wrote: "Where to begin... I'll try to keep it limited to Shadow and Bone. Thanks for giving us a Q&A Leigh!!!
1. Did something happen between Mal and Zoya at the camps while Alina was away?
2. Did the Dark..."

Abigayle I love all your questions! I hope these get answered! :-)

message 42: by Georjandavis (new)

Georjandavis | 12 comments Leigh - I've met you twice before at different signings but I never ask questions!! So here goes:

1. Has the Darkling ever been in love
2. Does the Darkling have any children?
3. Why is Mal such a good tracker, does he have some type of undiscovered Grisha power too?
3. Who brought Mal & Alina to the orphanage? What happened to their parents?
4. The book says "no Darkling & his heir can live at the palace at the same time", so that got me wondering... What happened to the Darkling's Father & was he a Darkling too? (although the Darkling seems like he may have some abandonment issues so that answer might be apparent!! ;-)

Most importantly:
5. WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOOK FORWARD TO IN RUIN & RACY ?? ;-)

I'm really enjoying the re-read & can't wait for the final book!!!

message 43: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (crazyrandomhappenstance) | 22 comments Who'd the Darkling lose his v-card to?

message 44: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (crazyrandomhappenstance) | 22 comments Was it the sweaty duchess?

message 45: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (crazyrandomhappenstance) | 22 comments #SweatyDuchess2014

message 46: by Maddi (new)

Maddi Britch | 57 comments Maddie wrote: "#SweatyDuchess2014"

She wanted the D (arkling)

;)

message 47: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (crazyrandomhappenstance) | 22 comments If the Darkling is 120 years old why is everyone so cool with his attraction to a teenage girl?

message 48: by Georjandavis (new)

Georjandavis | 12 comments Maddie wrote: "If the Darkling is 120 years old why is everyone so cool with his attraction to a teenage girl?"

#ThanksTwilight

message 49: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (crazyrandomhappenstance) | 22 comments Maddi wrote: "Maddie wrote: "#SweatyDuchess2014"

She wanted the D (arkling)

;)"

Honestly, who (D)oesn't?

message 50: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (crazyrandomhappenstance) | 22 comments Georjandavis wrote: "Maddie wrote: "If the Darkling is 120 years old why is everyone so cool with his attraction to a teenage girl?"

#ThanksTwilight"

#ThanksObama.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.