General Fiction Forum Expats discussion

In The Heart of the Sea > In The Heart of the Sea Week Three Discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 4400 comments Mod
Sorry it's late been a crazy day

Remember to only use this as a starting point please add your own thoughts, questions, comments.

So lets finish up the discussion

We do learn that Nantucket was an abolitionist colony and that's why they employed black whalers and that they were distressed that the first men to perish were the black sailors
Did this surprise you?

We also learned that all the survivors returned to the sea I know this shocked me, how about you?

I found it interesting that Herman Melville was a whaler and served aboard a ship with Owen Chase's son and that's how Moby Dick was born.

Final Thoughts?

Are you glad you read it?

Have you talked about it with anyone

message 2: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Berry (lindybee) | 6 comments Thank you for selecting this book as I doubt that I would have read it. I watched the film and it did not impress me yet I was intrigued by the book and the story.
The survival of man on the sea touched a nerve as I sailed across the Atlantic on a smallish yacht in 1999 and know the peril of the sea. We had a large whale follow us, attracted by our size and engine we think, and for 24 hours lived with the knowledge that he had the power to send us to the bottom of the ocean.
As an author I understand why Herman Melville chose this story to tell after his own life experiences.
I'm sorry that this is so brief and promise more next time.

message 3: by April (new)

April (april_h) | 159 comments I cannot imagine wanting to go back to sea after surviving this ordeal. I know this is what they all did for a living but I would think just being out to sea would bring back all those horrible memories.

It was interesting to know where Melville got the idea for Moby Dick. I had no idea he had based his book on a real life story or that he had met Chase's son.

I think the thing that (happily) surprised me the most in this section was the recovery of the men left on the island. I really wasn't counting on them being seen alive again.

I am glad to have read this book. Even though at times I had to push through I did learn a lot. Overall it was a good read.

message 4: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1667 comments Personally I think they were crazy to go back to sea after the ordeal that they face. Wouldn't get me back out there that's for sure. But I guess they may have been faced with no choice as it was how they made their living, and other work might not have been easy to get.

April I agree I was so surprised there were survivors on the island. I really though they wouldn't make it.

I had mixed feelings throughout the book, I am glad I read it. Because I feel that I learnt a lot of things. But sometimes the book lagged.

I discussed with my partner as I was reading, telling him little tidbits along the way. I am interested to see the movie now. Not sure when it is release on dvd in Australia.

message 5: by Debbie (new)

L.A. wrote: "Thank you for selecting this book as I doubt that I would have read it. I watched the film and it did not impress me yet I was intrigued by the book and the story.
The survival of man on the sea t..."

LA thanks for this very personal look on our story. I wouldn't have chosen this book either and its one reason I love this and all book clubs because they challenge your safe boundaries and make you read somethings you may never have chosen.
As far as being short I think you said it all in an economy of words! Thank you for being a part of our discussion this month!!

message 6: by Debbie (new)

April wrote: "I cannot imagine wanting to go back to sea after surviving this ordeal. I know this is what they all did for a living but I would think just being out to sea would bring back all those horrible mem..."

April I have to admit that so much surprised me about this book and the men involved and I agree that one of the good things was the rescue from the island.
I also can't imagine going back to sea after an ordeal but I guess this is the only life available to most of the residents.

Reading this book was a push but I like you am glad I read it!
thank you for being such a great support of all our reads
xo

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Ang from OZ wrote: "Personally I think they were crazy to go back to sea after the ordeal that they face. Wouldn't get me back out there that's for sure. But I guess they may have been faced with no choice as it was h..."

Crazy is a mild word for what I felt about them going back to sea Ang.
I want to personally thank you for suggesting this book I too have mixed feelings about it but there were so many interesting some gruesome things I learned that I never would have if it hadn't been our choice for this read.
Your support from the beginning like April and so many others here means the world to me
xo

message 8: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Berry (lindybee) | 6 comments Debbie wrote: "L.A. wrote: "Thank you for selecting this book as I doubt that I would have read it. I watched the film and it did not impress me yet I was intrigued by the book and the story.
The survival of man..."

Glad to be part of the group Debbie.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I am also glad I read the book, though I prefer non-fiction books that are both a pleasure-read and a learning experience. This book was just more of an educational read.

message 10: by Debbie (new)

TarHeelGirl00 wrote: "I am also glad I read the book, though I prefer non-fiction books that are both a pleasure-read and a learning experience. This book was just more of an educational read."

it sure was TarHeelGirl and thank you for always giving of your time too!! And don't forget to suggest the Paula Brackston book next, she has a new one coming out next week Return of The Witch - The Return of the Witch

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I do hope we read "The Silver Witch" as a group. In fact, I had a B&N coupon and I went ahead and bought the paperback, because I plan to read it anyway. But I'm holding off reading it, for now.

I also downloaded "The Witches Daughter" since it's on sale for $2.99 right now.

message 12: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1667 comments I am happy to read The Silver Witch next if everyone wants to. I want to thank everyone for taking a chance on my non-fiction choice of book. I had a blast sharing the experience with everyone. I really don't think i would of stuck with it, if i had read on my own. And yes Deb, it's exactly about pushing a person's boundaries and stepping out of your normal read and genre that makes being in a bookclub worthwhile! I heart you all!

message 13: by Debbie (new)

TarHeelGirl00 wrote: "I do hope we read "The Silver Witch" as a group. In fact, I had a B&N coupon and I went ahead and bought the paperback, because I plan to read it anyway. But I'm holding off reading it, for now.

I..."

Let us know how you like it TarHeelGirl it's the only one she's written that I haven't read

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Ang from OZ wrote: "I am happy to read The Silver Witch next if everyone wants to. I want to thank everyone for taking a chance on my non-fiction choice of book. I had a blast sharing the experience with everyone. I r..."

<3 you all too!!!

We'll chat about the next read in a few weeks!