What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Computer Predicts Future Crimes [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 12 comments I believe I was a teenager or very early 20s when I read this. So the book could have easily come out any time between 1980-1990.

A super computer was built, and was continuously fed data about crime, world happenings, citizens, etc. Each day the computer would print out the names of people and the crimes that they would soon possibly commit in the future. These people were then arrested.

In one of the scenes, a father is arrested instead of the son. They both share the exact same name, and the police assume it was the father. Either because they didn't realize they shared the same name, or because they figured as he was the adult he would be the one to commit the crime.

In the end, the computer becomes so depressed over the endless feed of mankind's ability for violence, crime, greed, hate, etc., it kills itself.

I am relatively certain that this is NOT the book Minority Report by Philip K. Dick. His story involves human pre-cogs, where this book involved only a computer. I've done many searches using various word combinations of different parts of the story I can remember, and I don't get anything useful. All of the results I get are of the movie/book Minority Report, news reports about police stations actually trying out some sort of real-life Minority Report software, or non-fiction books about the future capabilities of computers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments This reminded me of All the Troubles of the World but it's short story.

message 3: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 12 comments That is it - thank you! I hadn't remembered it was a short story or that it came out so long ago, but this is definitely the story I read. Awesome!

message 4: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments You're welcome! I have to read some more of him, he too is awesome.