Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > How to get reviews from famous authors??

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Safa (new)

Safa Shaqsy (safashaqsy) | 54 comments Hii all
I was wondering how to get reviews from famous authors and how to do that??

message 2: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Moved to author help.

message 3: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments I'm afraid the only way I've ever heard of is to be a famous author.

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno Another way could be: getting reviews from infamous/not famous ones, in the hope they would reach prominence someday -:)

message 5: by Safa (new)

Safa Shaqsy (safashaqsy) | 54 comments wow, it seems to be the only way :)

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Here's an easy 4-step method to get a review from a famous author:
1. Buy a roll of toilet paper.
2. Unroll it, write your name and the name of your book on each sheet.
3. Reroll tp.
4. Find out where famous author lives and TP famous author's house.

Or did you mean good reviews?

message 7: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) Good one Ken.

message 8: by Safa (new)

Safa Shaqsy (safashaqsy) | 54 comments very funny

message 9: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Quilter | 8 comments A lot of famous authors will participate as judges in writing contests. If you can at least place in a high level writing contest then one of the judges may be willing to review one of your books

message 10: by Ken (last edited Feb 29, 2016 08:12AM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) The closest I came was that I once had one of my early stories critiqued by three authors, including Locus Award nominee Kevin O'Donnell, Jr. It was February 1979, and I had been writing for a couple of years but was not yet published. The editor of Empire for the SF writer initiated a new feature called Crazy Diamonds, in which a story by a new writer would be critiqued by three science fiction professionals. Payment for the story was a one-year subscription. I was the invited to submit the first story, so I sent one that had made the rounds to the various magazines but had not found a buyer. It was named "Mineral Spirits," and it was a light comedy involving a few unusual characters.

It was not a big hit with those professionals. But Kevin O'Donnell did say that "the story moves right along; his writing is fluent. The tone is light without being silly, and there were a few nice touches...If this is one of the first stories he's written, he might have a future."

That was quite a boost for a new writer, even with all the bad stuff they said about the story. Not quite an endorsement, though, but maybe one day I'll put that story on my website.

message 11: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Kaufman (ruth_kaufman) One way is to be involved in the writing community. I've been very involved in Romance Writers of America, and met/served on committees, etc. with many famous authors. Others who were friends became famous/bestsellers while I continued to submit without a sale. Still others I met via contests, where they happened to get my entries and gave me their contact info. After one of my manuscripts won an award at a conference, an author (whose books I love) stopped me to ask a question. Hoping she'd remember that conversation even a couple of years later, I asked her for a quote, and she gave me one.

So I felt fairly comfortable asking. Yet one friend said no even though she said she loved the book, because she disagreed with a minor historical point...despite proof from several sources. She did, however, promote that book on her social media.

On the other hand, I've talked with some famous author friends about such requests. Some don't have the time to read the books. Others are reluctant to read, because if they don't like it, it's hard to tell the author no.

Hope this helps.

message 12: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments This is a key question. If you were to be lucky enough to get a five star (genuine) review from J. K. Rowling then your sales would probably sky rocket.

My best suggestion is just keep writing good books. Remember there are only eight degrees of separation (or is it six?) between you and JKR and Steven King and Obama and Donald Trump and...

Anyone of them giving your book a review will draw attention to it!

message 13: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Knouse (kcknouse) | 49 comments In the days before ebooks and online reviews, I sent a bound galley of my personal finance book to Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin, authors of a then bestseller "Your Money or Your Life". I received a nice, one paragraph review/endorsement for my book that I included in the back cover copy and used in marketing materials. Send out review copies and see what happens.