The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) The Fellowship of the Ring discussion

Anyone else dislike this book?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sαяαн Am I the only one who doesn't like this?

صدرا Me 2 :D
not so bad but... :/

Hallie Excuse me, but you've rated the book 4 stars. Generally, people here would consider that as a good rating, and it shows that you like the book.

Sarah, I don't particularly like it either.

Kent Salisbury Hello Sarah,

You really have to read Tolkien with an understanding that he was the creator of his world and is considered the father of high fantasy. His goal was to create a realistic and large world that included the most minute details. This makes much of his writing highly descriptive and dry. Additionally, around the same time he wrote The Hobbit and the first volumes of Lord of The Rings, he was also translating Beowulf. With all this in mind you can probably better understand what molded his creations. I admit I struggled in finishing the series, but what I learned was that it was best to "digest" it over a longer period of time so I could fully appreciate it. I read other short books while working through Tolkien. It made the read more enjoyable and much less painful. It's worth reading, but only if you can appreciate what it signifies. Enjoy it if you can!

Sαяαн Hello Kent,

I don't think I'm ever going to this again. Reading it once was enough torture. Tolkien's goal was probably to create a realistic and large world, but he failed.

Diane Verdi I loved the series - read it 3 times - plus the Sylmarilliion!
The first time I read it through I almost cried at the end - didn't want to lose those friends.

Maeve Maher I think The Lord Of The Ring series is one of the best ever written. Plus it has pretty great Movies.

message 8: by Emie (last edited Mar 09, 2016 05:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emie I can see how you may dislike it, but keep in mind that this was written a long time ago, so it can be pretty hard to read, which may make it seem like a bad story. I wouldn't call it a bad book though, actually, I really enjoyed it. One thing that made it easier for me was watching the movie first. As much as I am opposed to doing this, in this situation it helped me imagine what was happening.

I really do not think that Tolkien failed to create a realistic world, and many would agree. His books were really the birth of fantasy as we know it, and one of the reasons they are so well loved is because of the world they are set in. You may think, "This is cheesy. Elves and Dwarves? Already seen it!", but in truth, Tolkien was the first one to create that world we all know so well.

You are entitled to your own opinion, though, and if you don't like it, that's okay.

Peregrin Took I agree with Emie. You've got your opinion, we've got ours. And personally, mine is 500 stars out of 10.

But it's your opinion...

****Kelly***** I've tried to read this book many times and I haven't accomplished it yet! I thought there was a lot of fluff but I could see why it was there. Whoever has finished the entire book has my upmost respect!

Imaan Iddir I enjoyed The Hobbit, but this book seemed way too long. A lot of stuff like, "The group trekked westwards, over the shoulders of the hills and the knees of the mountains, until they reached the balding head of Mount Gladthrong. The river lay to their right, with the sun setting before them..." etc. etc.
1. The shoulders and knees is one thing (am I the only one who noticed that?) but the balding heads is a bit far. It's not the most appealing picture, really.
2. Plus there's the constant pointing out of which way East is and what way the river turns and what side of the path they're on and which way their shadows are facing. For God's sake, Tolkien, I'm tired. I have to keep stopping to re-visualise these scenes, and they're not even important scenes. Why you do this to me?

Jingizu No, there are many actually who have stated a dislike of The Fellowship of the Ring and Lord of the Rings in general.

I however, are not one of them. I was hooked from page one of Fellowship and became, and still are, a complete and utter Tolkienite.

Dernhelm ѕαrαн ||| eιɢнтн woɴder oғ тнe world wrote:
Reading it once was enough torture. Tolkien's goal was probably to create a realistic and large world, but he failed."

You may not like it, he definitely didn´t fail.

Peregrin Took Jingizu wrote: "No, there are many actually who have stated a dislike of The Fellowship of the Ring and Lord of the Rings in general.

I however, are not one of them. I was hooked from page one of Fellowship and b..."

Love you!!

Peregrin Took Dernhelm wrote: "ѕαrαн ||| eιɢнтн woɴder oғ тнe world wrote:
Reading it once was enough torture. Tolkien's goal was probably to create a realistic and large world, but he failed."

You may not like it, he definite..."

Exactolayo!!!

C. J. Scurria I didn't hate this book at all. I do admit the "intro" was a little too long and I almost rejected the book entirely over it alone (I don't think anyone has to read it if you want to get into the story itself... or they could read it some other time later, after reading the story if they want) but what the epic fantasy was which was revealed in The Lord of the Rings was awesome! I love the lore of the ring was expanded. It went from The Hobbit where it was just a simple ring with power to being one of the main antagonists of the story, a creation fused with evil, the people would battle in their hearts if they ever came near it. This book was filled with such depth, parts with love, hope, sometimes compassion, it was through and through a wonderful tale.

I guess you can say I kinda loved it, lol.