Infinite Jest Infinite Jest question

Philosophy of Infinite Jest
Izzy Izzy Apr 30, 2014 08:00AM
I am currently writing a thesis on Infinite Jest and am trying to gather more insight into reader reception of the book. If anybody wants to share their experience or take my (very short) survey about it, please do:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5535MQM

I have a habit of reading naively and as a result my reading style with Infinite Jest was very trusting to begin with - probably a mistake. In any case, I'd like to know what other people thought about reading it.

When I finished it, I was enthusiastic enough to tell facebook that it was "the best book I've ever read." I don't know if that reaction has stuck entirely, but it's still worth something I think.

My experience reading it is hard to say much about. It feels like a very opaque memory - like I remember what it felt like to read it but not that much about the experience beyond that.

I read it 18 years ago, and I still think it is the best book I've ever read.

I agree. Re-reading it would be helpful. I bought it again last yr with that in mind. So many other books tho

It was the single most profound book I've ever read. I wouldn't consider myself particularly well read, but wow.. I honestly can't imagine a book that compares.

I'm on my third reading. I think that it really needs to be read at least twice.

I'm reading it this time in chronological order, following the timeline proposed by Greg Carlisle in "Elegant Complexity: A Study of David Foster Wallace's 'Infinite Jest'."

James Liked that idea (I read "Elegant Complexy" a couple of times) but I haven't yet tried it. I feel I'm due for a re-reading of "Infinite Jest"... ...more
Jun 01, 2014 09:45AM · flag