K.M. Weiland's Read 100 Books in 2016 Challenge discussion

Technical questions

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wombat (new)

Wombat Question: how should we deal with a book that is "given up" part way though?

I have read about half of a book, but I found the writing confusing, and it had become a chore to read - I was doing cleaning rather than read this book...

I have put it in a folder "did not finish", but should i list it as "read" or "to read" or does the book still exist if I remove it totally?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessical1961) I just add the book to my DNF folder and remove it from my "Currently Reading" list. I never count books that I DNF.

message 3: by Wombat (new)

Wombat cool cool.
Removed the "read date" which makes it not show up in the books read for the challenge.
thanks.

message 4: by K.M. (new)

K.M. Weiland (kmweiland) | 67 comments Mod
Yep, yep. I'm with Jeffrey on this.

message 5: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin  Thomas | 104 comments I reread 5 secrets to story structure and added the second date but the first read date disappeared. How do you get credit for rereads again? I think I did something wrong.

message 6: by K.M. (new)

Hmm. If you're re-reading it within the same year, I don't think Goodreads will show that.

message 7: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin  Thomas | 104 comments Rats! Oh well.

message 8: by Rick (new)

Rick Presley | 18 comments What about books we finished, but we regret wasting the time? LOL.

I'm re-reading Catch-22. First read it in high school where it seemed curiously absurd and almost a whimsical look at the world. Reading it now in a post-Dilbert world, it is far more insightful than I ever dreamed. The absurdities are far less absurd now that I've been immersed in the corporate culture for so long. It's more like a weather report than an indictment.

message 9: by Alayna (new)

Alayna Mitchell | 10 comments I don't suppose books of the Bible count, do they?

message 10: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia_r) Alayna wrote: "I don't suppose books of the Bible count, do they?"

I think it would count, especially if you putting that individual book on goodreads :)

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessical1961) I would not think they would count considering the books like Philemon and Jude are only one chapter. I will defer to K.M. on this one.

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Roberts | 22 comments Alayna wrote: "I don't suppose books of the Bible count, do they?"

I plan to mark the entire Bible as "read" if/when I finish it by the end of the year, but I wouldn't count individual books of the Bible toward the challenge goal.

message 13: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Roberts | 22 comments Speaking of technical questions, it is okay to count books I've decided to reread in 2016, right? Doesn't matter that I've read it before as long as I start and finish it again in 2016? Thanks.

message 14: by K.M. (new)

Alayna wrote: "I don't suppose books of the Bible count, do they?"

Sorry. I'm just seeing this now. I think we'll say the Bible as a whole counts, but not the individual "books."

message 15: by K.M. (new)

Joanne wrote: "Speaking of technical questions, it is okay to count books I've decided to reread in 2016, right? Doesn't matter that I've read it before as long as I start and finish it again in 2016? Thanks."

Yes, that's fine! As long as Goodreads shows you finished them again in 2016.

message 16: by Alayna (new)

Alayna Mitchell | 10 comments K.M. wrote: "Alayna wrote: "I don't suppose books of the Bible count, do they?"

Sorry. I'm just seeing this now. I think we'll say the Bible as a whole counts, but not the individual "books.""

That's fine I decided I wouldn't count them anyway.

I have a couple books I started in fall of 2015 for high school, but didn't finish until spring of 2016. May I count them towards 2016 since I finished them then?

message 17: by K.M. (new)

Alayna wrote: "K.M. wrote: "Alayna wrote: "I don't suppose books of the Bible count, do they?"

Sorry. I'm just seeing this now. I think we'll say the Bible as a whole counts, but not the individual "books.""

Th..."

Yep, any book finished in 2016 counts.

message 18: by JennyR (new)

JennyR (mortimerknits) I've read my 100 books, do I need to do a completion post?

message 19: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Roberts | 22 comments JenniferR wrote: "I've read my 100 books, do I need to do a completion post?"
Congratulations! How does that compare to your usual yearly average?

message 20: by JennyR (new)

JennyR (mortimerknits) Joanne wrote: "JenniferR wrote: "I've read my 100 books, do I need to do a completion post?"
Congratulations! How does that compare to your usual yearly average?"

I've read around 200 books for the past few years. I didn't seriously start tracking until 2015.

message 21: by K.M. (new)

You go, Joanne! And, no, no need to do anything at this point. We'll have our wrap-up prize party at the end of the year.

message 22: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Buller (lucybuller) I finished my 100 books! What should I do now?

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessical1961) Celebrate Good Times!!! COME ON!!!

message 24: by K.M. (new)

@Lucy: Congrats! :D Now, you'll just have to wait for the rest of us a slowpokes. Prizes parties in December.

message 25: by LittleBookDruid (new)

LittleBookDruid | 9 comments @Jennifer and Lucy, How.....? :O
*curling inside the book reading hole*

message 26: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin  Thomas | 104 comments *snort*

message 27: by Hope (new)

Hope I have a question: do graphic novels count? Cause I've been reading a lot of those recently. :P

message 28: by Rick (new)

Rick Presley | 18 comments They better. Just finished Maus, Avatar the Last Airbender: The Promise and will be picking up Avatar the Last Airbender: The Search at the library this week. These are not thin comics, but book sized tomes.

message 29: by K.M. (new)

@Hope and Rick: As long as they show up in Goodreads system, yes.

message 30: by Rick (new)

Rick Presley | 18 comments Yea!