Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Divide: American Injustice... by Matt Taibbi - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by anarresa (new)

anarresa | 287 comments The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap
by Matt Taibbi
4 stars

Taibbi is a journalist with previous books and Rolling Stone credits who embraces his populist biases rather than trying to downplay them. It's an entertaining style but with solid research behind it. This book goes back a few years to before and after the financial crisis, looking at the wealthy and powerful players who were never brought to justice and rarely even investigated let alone charged. At the same time Taibbi found several low-to-middle income individuals hit by a more aggressive justice system involving New York's stop-and-frisk, the federal immigration deportation sweeps, and welfare fraud investigations.

This could be a very eye-opening experience for a middle-class citizen who thinks the justice system works fine when it really does have several flaws, a fact I've confirmed myself over the years through discussions with police, lawyers and working class defendants.

message 2: by Anita (last edited Mar 04, 2016 02:47PM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6732 comments Hmmm, I read a very interesting book recently with a similar theme, Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption, but I really only like books like this if they are very well backed with factual data and tell the complete story.

Did you think it was pretty detailed on the financial crisis part explaining the mortgage backed securities and the speculation that happened? After reading quite a bit about it, I understood the very speculative nature of the investments, but never really understood what was illegal/criminal about what happened . . .

On the flip side, it is clear to me that when poor people are prosecuted aggressively, they often don't have the resources they need to defend themselves, and that's a real problem.