Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

Recommendation Requests > Looking for a good series to get my eyes in to

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charmain (new)

Charmain Mitchell | 3 comments Hi

I'm stuck trying to find a good series to read at the moment. I love medieval mystery fiction along the lines of Paul Doherty, Kate Sedley, Bernard Knight and Susanna Gregory.

Does anyone have any recommendations for similar?

Thanks

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Have you read Ellis Peters or Michael Jecks?

message 3: by Charmain (new)

Charmain Mitchell | 3 comments yep, read all of theirs

message 4: by Denise (last edited Feb 28, 2016 06:37PM) (new)

Denise | 52 comments here are some general recommendations from a website:
http://stopyourekillingme.com/History...

I haven't tried Alys Clare or Priscilla Royal but heard they are very good.

Besides the ones you've named, I loved Dame Frevisse series by Margaret Frazer, Ruth Downie's very early Middle Ages Ruso series, Ariana Franklin's Adelia series, Candace Robb's Archer series, Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma series, Sharon Kay Penman's Justin de Quincy series, and thats all I can think of for now - I love some 16th century series, particularly C.J. Sansom's Matthew Shardlake's series, as well but that may be a bit late for you.

message 5: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 257 comments I can second the Ariana Franklin series. I'm not a big fan of medieval stories but I loved that one.

message 6: by Charmain (new)

Charmain Mitchell | 3 comments Thanks, I have tried Alys Clare, but just can't get into them. Will check some of the others out.

I also love Shardlake :), Rory Clements and S. J Parris from the tudor period

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1634 comments Mod
I also really enjoyed Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death series.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Not sure ho post-30 Years War in Bavaria strikes you but you might give Oliver Pötzsch's The Hangman's Daughter series a go. Just keep in mind it's a translation (unless you can read the German)

There's also Edward Marston who has a few series that might be of interest.
Philippa Morgan (a.k.a. Philip Gooden writes a series with Chaucer as the sleuth.

message 9: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 81 comments Charmain wrote: "Thanks, I have tried Alys Clare, but just can't get into them

I can agree with you here. I read book 3 in her Hawkenlye series because I loved the cover The Tavern in the Morning and then a copy of #13 The Rose of the World fell into my hands recently so I gave her another try. I found the books fairly forgettable. If anyone wants to read them I suggest starting with #1 as it is hard to keep all the characters and relationships straight if you jump in later.

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 136 comments I've enjoyed Sharan Newman's Catherine LeVendeur series; 12th century. The first one is: Death Comes As Epiphany.

message 11: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Cline | 65 comments Patricia wrote: "I've enjoyed Sharan Newman's Catherine LeVendeur series; 12th century. The first one is: Death Comes As Epiphany."

I can second this recommendation. The series was very good.