Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Books from the physical shelf - Rebecca's N&O challenge

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RebeccaErGlad (new)

RebeccaErGlad MegetGlad | 5 comments My fist comment in the second GR bookclub I ever joined! Hopefully I'll have a happy ending, and complete this challenge. I left out two of the wild card books, because I don't start till March.

Well, here goes:

Start: March 2016
1899 and earlier (from the shelf)
1. Romeo and Juliet
2. Don Quixote de la Mancha (Cervantes)
3. The Invisible Man (Wells)
1900-1999 (from the shelf)
4. To the Lighthouse (Woolf)
5. All the King's Men (Warren)
6. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (Joyce)
My Wild Card Six (four) (from shelf and my to-read list)
7. Austerlitz (Sebald)
8. Go set a Watchman (Lee)
9. So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Adams)
10. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Dick)

Alternates
A-1. Notes From the Underground (Dostoyevsky)
A-2. Leaves of Grass (Whitman)

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4057 comments I hope this is the first of many comments Rebecca. This is a great group, and you have a nice list. Don Quixote was so enjoyable for me, and also Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I think To the Lighthouse will be a group read next month so hopefully you'll join in there. Enjoy your reading!

message 3: by RebeccaErGlad (new)

RebeccaErGlad MegetGlad | 5 comments Thank you so much! I hope this'll be a chance for me to really be a part of an online community, and at the same time read more of all the great books out there.

message 4: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Hi Rebecca, this is a really great list of books for this challenge and several that I have high hopes of reading this year - especially Don Quixote. :) Maybe if they don't get picked for books of the month we can start a Buddy group on the side. Have a great time reading and participating with the group - they are a super bunch of folks. ;-)

message 5: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Welcome Rebecca, I'm so glad you've joined this challenge, it's one of my favourites. You've done right to cut a couple of books due to the late start, but what you do have looks great. I'm planning on Don Quixote this year too, so maybe they'll be enough of us to buddy read it. Good luck with all your choices :)

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9663 comments Mod
Look great Rebecca. I hope you enjoy the challenge.

message 7: by RebeccaErGlad (new)

RebeccaErGlad MegetGlad | 5 comments Thanks a lot - I hope I'll be able to stick with it- I've had Don Quixote on my shelf for three years, and still havn't gotten around to it yet.

message 8: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4999 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge Rebecca. I hope you enjoy it. I've been reading Leaves of Grass off and on for years, mostly off. Like most poetry and short story collections some parts are better than others. I have liked most of what I've read but when Whitman gets to be to much I set him aside for a few months. Good Luck.

message 9: by RebeccaErGlad (new)

RebeccaErGlad MegetGlad | 5 comments Start: March 2016
1899 and earlier (from the shelf)
1. Romeo and Juliet
2. Don Quixote de la Mancha (Cervantes)
3. The Invisible Man (Wells) - read March 2016
1900-1999 (from the shelf)
4. To the Lighthouse (Woolf)
5. All the King's Men (Warren)
6. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (Joyce)
My Wild Card Six (four) (from shelf and my to-read list)
7. Austerlitz (Sebald)
8. Go set a Watchman (Lee)
9. So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Adams)
10. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Dick)

Alternates
A-1. Notes From the Underground (Dostoyevsky)
A-2. Leaves of Grass (Whitman)

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Don Quixote (other topics)