Best Fantasy Books Subgenre Reading Challenge discussion

Coming-of-Age Fantasy > Furies of Calderon (The Codex Alera #1) by Jim Butcher

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christie (last edited Feb 29, 2016 07:12PM) (new)

Christie Stratos (christiestratos) | 94 comments Mod
This book has a prologue that's only one page long. That's very welcome! We aren't seeing much of the coming-of-age subgenre yet, except that the main character is young and is supposed to graduate from Academy soon. As we move along in the story, we'll probably see more in the way of her development, maybe of others' as well after this first quest she's on is over (if it goes well...). She definitely seems...not quite pompous but more knowledgeable and confident than her own teacher, so that will either serve her well or she'll learn that her knowledge is actually very minimal and she has lots to learn.

*This thread is dedicated to all Furies of Calderon discussions, and spoilers are allowed. Discussions won't be broken down by chapter, so comment as you go.*

message 2: by Christie (new)

Ah. There we go. Now I'm a little further into it and I understand. :)

Also, I just got this on audiobook from my library, so I'll be able to read it faster. Yay!

message 3: by Christie (new)

Okay, I'm not a fan of this book, so I'm going to give it up so I can move on to things I like better. I know a lot of people love this book, though, so I'd love to hear what you like about it!