The Hopefuls discussion

It's been a while...

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma Kihlberg (new)

Emma Kihlberg | 72 comments ... since I last were on the hopeful forum on goodreads, but I've missed it so here I am! How are you all? Read any nice books lately?
I started uni in August so I haven't had very much time to read other than books about Chemistry and Maths, but I'm starting to get back to it now.

message 2: by Freya (new)

Freya Tewnion | 42 comments Hello, Emma! I've started to read We Were Liars and it's amazing? Have you ever read it? Also, how is uni? I have an older sister who goes to uni, she's having quite a good time and is in her second year. I'm still in secondary school (high school) and I'm starting my GCSEs so I've got a while to go before I go to uni.

message 3: by Morganna (new)

Morganna | 59 comments Hi Emma :) It's been a while for me too. I finished my final year of high school last November (I live in Australia, we have our summer break over Christmas), and I'm about to start my first year of uni tomorrow :)
I started reading Winter the other day and I'm super excited about it because I love the series so much. Although, I'm majoring in History alongside my education degree so I probably won't have much reading time after a few weeks of uni because I have to do a lot of reading for history.
I also read a really short book called Carrie's War which I picked up second-hand while I was on holiday and it was a really good read :) Hope uni's going well for you.

Freya, I read We Were Liars two years ago and I loved it so much. I hope your GCSEs go well :)

message 4: by Freya (new)

Freya Tewnion | 42 comments Thanks, Morganna, I hope uni goes well for you, too. :)

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (littlerah) | 37 comments It's been so long here as well that it's taking me around 18 days just to see this.

Uni definitely makes things more difficult in regards to keeping up online appearances. I'm struggling with that a lot myself as uni has just picked up here in Australia.

Best wishes to all. x

message 6: by Darby (new)

Darby | 217 comments Hullo! I haven't posted in a while myself, and I hadn't had time to read until I sorta skipped school to do some Thursday. I wish I were kidding. I also had a little tummy ache, but finishing Carry On was my main priority... It was so good, and I've been nonstop replaying it in my head. Totally obsessed--- wait what was the conversation topic here again?

message 7: by Emma Kihlberg (new)

Emma Kihlberg | 72 comments After I wrote my first message here I was once again buried in school work so I didn't have time to check if someone answered, but it makes me sooo happy that you guys did answer!!

Freya, I haven't read We Were Liars, but I've heard lots about it so it's definitely on my too read list! Although that list is pretty long, haha! Anyway, I don't really know how GCSEs work (I'm from Sweden and we don't have that system here), but I hope you'll do great!!

Darby, omg! I wanna read Carry On soooo badly, I can't wait until I get my hands on it!!
Although it's probably not such a good idea to skip school just to be able to read.. but I do totally understand you, and I would be lying if I said that I've never done the same thing!

I just finished The Martian, you know the book that the movie (that came out a few months ago) is based on and that Dodie spoke about in one of her videos earlier this year (if you don't watch her videos, go do it! She's brilliant! Doddleoddle is her channelname). I kid you not, that book was one of the best books I've ever read! It was so scientifically correct, which made it so incredibly real and interesting, but then again the humour made it so fun to read that I never found it scary or anything. It was absolutely fantastic. I definitely recommend it if you haven't already read it!

message 8: by Morganna (new)

Morganna | 59 comments The same thing happened to me Emma. I've also barely had any time to read as I'm still not finish reading Winter (I don't even think I'm halfway through it).

Darby, I really wish that I could read Carry On because it sounds so great but I swore to myself that I was only going to buy two more books this year (The Cursed Child and On The Other Side) so I'm going to have to wait until 2017 to read it unless I somehow manage to read over 20 books this year.

Tbh, I have no interest in reading The Martian because even just the concept of space freaks me out (there's no edge...anyone get that reference?) But I have heard from other's that it's good.

message 9: by Darby (new)

Darby | 217 comments I actually started The Martian straight after finishing Carry On XD I picked it up at the school library because I figured all the ones in the public system were taken. I've got over $75 in Barnes and Noble cards so I need to go pick up my own copy.

message 10: by Emma Kihlberg (new)

Emma Kihlberg | 72 comments I totally get you, space isn't for everyone and you can't enjoy every book! It's about finding your genres and enjoy those books! I've never understood the people that read books just because it's a book you "just have to read" or something like that. Just read the books you enjoy! :)

I would never be able to not buy books.. I don't buy books very often, but I really like to treat myself with a nice book after an exam or just once in a while when I feel like reading!
Omg, I'm so looking forward to On The Other Side!!

message 11: by Morganna (new)

Morganna | 59 comments Exactly. I've had so many people call me weird and crazy because I have no interest in reading either the Twilight saga or Game of Thrones, but they just really don't seem like my thing.
During 2014 and 2015 my school was literally a 2 minute walk away from a bookstore so I spent a lot of money on books during that time. Not to mention I went on holiday to Melbourne in January and came home with 11 new books. I previously had about 10 unread books in my bookcase already so I think a book buying ban is in order for me until I catch up on reading.
Thankfully, my uni isn't close to any bookstores at all so I've been able to keep my book buying reasonably under control (except for the 50c booksale I went to the other day, but we won't mention that).
At the rate I've been reading, I'll still be reading Winter by the time On The Other Side comes out. Maybe I'll have to do what I used to do as a kid and read two books at once...

message 12: by Emma Kihlberg (new)

Emma Kihlberg | 72 comments Oh I hate it when people don't understand that just because a book is really popular you don't have to love it!
I hardly ever recommended books to my friends at school (not uni) because I was scared they wouldn't like them and therefore critizise them, or they'd like them too much and it wouldn't be a special thing anymore.. I know, it's a bit weird. I'm still like this with some books that become really special to me, I just don't want to share them with anyone so that they won't be just my thing anymore.

Booksales are dangerous! In Sweden we have The Booksale in February where every book store (or normal store that also sell books) just sell out loads of books for really low prices. It's the best! When I was a kid they used to have a "midnight premiere" so the sale started at midnight and my family always went, but nowadays they just open really early in the morning. This year I went with my sister and we were there 6am and it was so cozy! Only the real booklovers are there that early, everyone is tired and you can just walk around in silence and find loads of books that will be sold out in just a few hours. One of the best days of the year!

message 13: by Morganna (new)

Morganna | 59 comments That sounds so cool :) I've never heard of a book sale like that in Australia. The 50c booksale was so crowded and everyone was pushing and people were using their small children as an excuse to push to the front where the books were. I was so scared to put my feet anywhere because I wasn't sure if I was going to step on anyone or not.
I feel the same way about recommending books. I never used to recommend books in high school because that would usually end in me lending them my copy of the book, but since high school ended I've made a few recommendations to some of my friends (I told one to read the Lunar Chronicles and the other has almost no experience with classics so I bought her some of my faves at the book sale (What Katy Did, Anne of Green Gables, A Little Princess, The Secret Garden)).