Nineteen Minutes Nineteen Minutes discussion

Wouldn't that make him a hero?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristin Marie *spoiler*

I was confused why Jordan thought it would be helpful to Peter if Matt had shot at him first ("it would change the whole crime"). I could see it reinforcing the PTSD theory but only if Peter hadn't started shooting until AFTER Matt had pulled Peters own gun on him (and Matt was the last one killed). Further if Matt had actually shot at Peter after Peter had shot and killed so many of his classmates wouldn't he have been a hero? Or at the very least defending himself and Josie? Why was this spoken of like another act of bullying and a possible justification for Peters acts? I feel like I am missing something...any insight appreciated.

Bobby Karmakar Kristin wrote: "*spoiler*

I was confused why Jordan thought it would be helpful to Peter if Matt had shot at him first ("it would change the whole crime"). I could see it reinforcing the PTSD theory but only if..."

For me, I saw it as the result of so many years of being bullied that psychologically, this is what happened to his mind. Bullying can leave an emotional wreck in the bullied person's head that, like in Peter's case, he wanted others to suffer as well. Unfortunately, I don't know if you read the book up until the end, but I believe Peter should have spoken to someone instead of the manslaughter of 20 innocent kids.
But when a person is bullied, like Peter, they sometimes don't even have the courage to talk to someone about how they're feeling as it is a cry for help (which may even make Peter appear weak). Again, the result that happened in the story told me that if the bullied victim doesn't talk to anyone about what happened, it can psychologically affect him so much that, what Jodi wrote, could be an extreme situation (which has also actually happened I believe and that's where her inspiration came from).
Hope this helps! :)