Hardcover Hearts Blog discussion

weekly reading summary > Friday Reading Roll Call:

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hardcover (new)

Hardcover Hearts (hardcoverhearts) | 8 comments Mod
What's everyone reading for the weekend? Share your reading plans with us!

Me: I'm hoping to -
-finish The Moor's Account by Laila Lalami
-finish The Cartel by Don Winslow
-make more progress on Your Heart is a Muscle the Size of a Fist by Sunil Yapa

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (nermal) | 3 comments Thanks for starting this reading community, Sarah! I think it's such a cool idea.

Weekend reading goals:
1. Finish The Queen of the Night (<--attempting to insert book link...we'll see how that works out when I post this)-- DONE! It was delightfully melodramatic.

2. Finish at least 2 or 3 stories in Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories before my ebook loan expires tomorrow (had a bit of an avalanche with library hold requests coming in and couldn't keep up).

3. Start The People in the Trees -- I got tickets to see Hanya Yanagihara speak here in Pittsburgh on 4/1 and wanted to read this ahead of her talk.

message 3: by Hardcover (new)

My pleasure! Thank you for participating.

I have heard a ton of buzz about The Queen of the Night, and so I am glad to see you gave it a good score. (Are you really tough with giving something 5 stars?)

I haven't read The People in the Trees yet, though I did get her to sign my copy when she was last here. I hope you have as illuminating an evening as I did! She made me actually love A Little Life even more than I did before!

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (nermal) | 3 comments Oh man, I feel like "explain your star rating system" could be its own thread, haha!

In general:
3 stars = solid book, pretty good, enjoyed but didn't love
4 stars = good book, would recommend it to others if it seemed up their alley
5 stars = great book, one of my favorites

2 stars usually means I actively disliked it and probably only finished out of some sort of obligation (book club book, borrowed from someone who wanted me to read it, etc.)
I don't think I've ever given 1 star; I would probably just mark it DNF and not rate it at all in that case.

How about you?

message 5: by Hardcover (new)

That is almost exactly what I would say. I think of books interns of the lasting impact. So if I find myself still thinking about a book a week later, I may bump up the rating. I sometimes wish there were half steps, because I think I would use 4.5 more often. To me a 5 is something I would want to reread, and probably own a copy in a hardcover, 1st edition.

message 6: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Would be really good to have .5 stars in there. 3.5 Stars would be very useful.

message 7: by Hardcover (new)

What's on your reading agendas this weekend?

For me it's-
audiobooks- The Receptionist-An Education at the New Yorker by Janet Groth
Ebook- The Arrangement by Ashley Warlick
Physical book- continuing with Your Heart is a Muscle the Size of a Fist by Sunil Yapa
And short story collection- In The Country by Mia Alvar

Please share with us what you are reading.

message 8: by Stuart (new)

Stuart The weekend is almost over! I am always late to the party with these posts. My weekend read was A Song For Issy Bradley, which I finished and now I am reading In Her Wake by Amanda Jennings.