Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Dog On It by Spencer Quinn ★★★

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7007 comments Chet and Bernie are Private Investigators, or at least Bernie is, and Chet is the K-Nine school failure who almost passed but for one small glitch, and this is the first book in the Chet and Bernie Mysteries. Bernie is hired to find a missing girl who was missing, found and then missing again. We meet Suzie Sanchez, a reporter doing a story, who sticks around once the story is done, and it turns out this was for the best, for everyone concerned. As Chet and Bernie do their work, Chet has some adventures on his own, although not of his own choosing.

This is the second book I’ve read in this series; I first read the seventh book when my youngest teen gave it to me for Christmas. How could I not read a book from my son who worked so hard to find a gift he’d thought I’d like, even though he doesn’t really know my reading tastes, and who I would like to see read more. I have to say that I liked the seventh one a bit better, and laughed out loud. It may well be because the writing improves over time. It might also be the nature of the mystery; as a mother it’s harder to laugh in a book where it’s a missing teen at stake. It could be that it’s one of those “funny the first time but then the novelty wears off” for me type series as well. The only way I’ll know for sure is if I read one more.

If you like cozy mysteries, dogs and humour, then this is a series for you. Three stars means I liked it, but then I am not a big reader of mysteries (I read a few) and rarely read a book with a dog as the protagonist.

message 2: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1472 comments I'm glad you at least read one more in the series. I like the books but I definitely see how the premise could get old if you read them too close together. Chet is still one of my favorite investigators:-)

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5803 comments I ❤ Chet the Jet!

message 4: by Blueberry (last edited Feb 27, 2016 02:58PM) (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Karen, I can't get the stars ★ to work in the topic line when I added a book. Did you have to do anything differently?

message 5: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7007 comments Blueberry wrote: "Karen, I can't get the stars ★ to work in the topic line when I added a book. Did you have to do anything differently?"

I cut and pasted them in already looking like stars. After inadvertently losing more than one review, I started writing them on my computer first and I include the stars, etc there. I have the codes, but if you cut and paste them from someone else, they look like stars, at least when I do it they do.

message 6: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Oh ok. I'll try that. Thanks.