Ask Pierce Brown discussion

Red Rising Trilogy - Questions > What do they look like? Discussion of the Physical Appearance of the Peoples of the Red Rising World

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 4 comments Hi everyone! When I'm reading a book, I like to try to imagine what the characters look like. I sure you all do too. I've got Darrow, Sevro, Roque down. I thought I had all of the the Golds down. And the Reds. But a description of Aja au Grimmus as dark skinned piqued my interest. I'm hoping Pierce Brown can help me out. If not I'm totally cool with the readers take on what everyone looks like. We can have a whole discussion about it.

P.S. This is a discussion of physical appearance not race or ethnicity. (which does not exist in Pierce Brown's awesome space world). With that said, we can only describe people using the words we have to describe them now in our real world such as black, white, Hispanic, Asian, etc. I'm only using those words for the physical image they bring to mind and mostly for skin color. Not to offend. I'm really not trying to offend people.

Question 1
Aja au Grimmus is described as "dark-skinned" Dark as in she's black? Which leads me to wonder if there are black Golds. They are described as children of the sun with gold hair and eyes. Specific characters have their skin described but that can't apply to all the Golds. Also I thought of the Reds as stereo typical Irish in appearance with the red hair and freckles Do the people of a Color have more or less a homogenous appearance? Or can members of a Color vary in appearance? On a kind of related note, Orion's skin is described as almost as dark as her uniform which is navy I believe.

Question 2: Color dictates eye color. Does it also dictate hair color? Most of the gold are described as having gold hair and the Reds red/orange hair. In contrast, Obsidians have white hair. But what about the blues, grays, greens, yellows, and pinks? Are the Golds really all blondes?

message 2: by Heather (last edited Feb 26, 2016 04:00PM) (new)

Heather (bruyere) There was one line where Darrow says he can see Mustang's roots. That implies that she colors her hair blonde or makes it lighter blonde.

So is all of this generally genetically manufactured to create coloring? Technically you could breed it in but that would be way too much work.

message 3: by Minh (new)

Minh Banh | 5 comments Catherine wrote: "Hi everyone! When I'm reading a book, I like to try to imagine what the characters look like. I sure you all do too. I've got Darrow, Sevro, Roque down. I thought I had all of the the Golds down. A..."

Pierced answered similar questions before. Race as we know it doesn't exist in the society but if you would put race to certain characters, Aja and Orion are similar to Africans while Tactus is Mediterranean. I forgot what Pierce said about Cassius and Roque.

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 4 comments So the people of each Color aren't homogenous in appearance? That's really interesting. It does make sense considering these space people are all descended from the peoples of Earth.

message 5: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Virgin | 1 comments I find that interesting too. I thought that their colors were equivalent to what we consider race, so all golds would be more or less similar featured, blues, pinks, similar to each other as well. I envisioned Obsidians, for instance, being very Nordic looking, tall, strong jawed, Thor-like. I thought Aja was a gold and Orion a blue so I didn't think of them as being African featured but with different color skin.

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise Alcaraz (inkshoe) | 51 comments Whenever I pictured dark skin, it was usually dark olive complexion, such as in Hispanic, cause I couldn't picture darker skin with blonde hair. But maybe I pictured it that way because that is part of my ethnicity. ??? I like that Pierce left it a little ambiguous. I want to picture it myself, and you picture it for yourself. And Blues and Greys, I didn't picture clearly at all. But it didn't really matter. They are not as central to the story like the Golds and Reds. And it didn't affect my ability to visualize the story in general. I think Pierce knew what he was doing, eh?

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 5 comments You can search the word "skin" if you have an ebook. Iin Red Rising, Darrow has pale skin as a Red, and Eo has skin pale as milk. In Golden Son, for example, there's an olive-skinned Blue, a pale like snow Blue, a dark-skinned Gray corporal, another dark-skinned Gray, an Obsidian with bleach white skin, the darker than Darrow Tactus, the dark or dusky Aja. The Jackal has healing pink skin where the skin grafts are. At first, I assumed Golds were like the Arians of Hitler's army. Obsidians I imagined looked like Gothic people but giant like Vikings. I don't know why, but. I thought Blues were blue...

message 8: by Denise (new)

Denise Alcaraz (inkshoe) | 51 comments I find it interesting that so many people picture Blues with blue skin. Pierce never, I believe, says that their skin is blue. It's kind of a psychological mind trip. I'm sure he intended that, the clever devil.

message 9: by Janis (new)

Janis | 15 comments In Golden Son, Pierce describes the Blues: "The snaking digiTats that mark the Blues' bald heads and spidery hands glow subtle shades of cerulean and silver..." Prior to that he says they are of many shades which I would think refers to their actual skin.
So it sounds like they are usually bald (whether genetically or by choice) and the tattoos on their heads and hands are blue and silver. They would look pretty blue when combined with blue uniforms and dark blue eyes. Hair color wouldn't even figure.

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 4 comments Good point on the Blues' shaved heads. Still what about Grays and Purples and Greens? Well actually in Morning Star Holiday and Trigg are described as Asiatic. So I'm assuming dark hair there. Can anyone find a quote on Mickeys appearance?

I think Pierce Brown did have a specific vision on what the characters look like according Min Banh's comment about his Q&A answers.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

One question that has always been bugging me is Ragnars actual size.

message 12: by Shannon (last edited Feb 28, 2016 07:40AM) (new)

Shannon | 2 comments Catherine wrote: "Good point on the Blues' shaved heads. Still what about Grays and Purples and Greens? Well actually in Morning Star Holiday and Trigg are described as Asiatic. So I'm assuming dark hair there. Can ..."

Mickey is first described as "a scalpel of a man with a crooked smile and black hair that hangs like a puddle of oil down one side of his head... His fingers are fast, thinner and longer than they should be, and there are twelve of them."

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane | 10 comments Denise wrote: "I find it interesting that so many people picture Blues with blue skin. Pierce never, I believe, says that their skin is blue. It's kind of a psychological mind trip. I'm sure he intended that, the..."
Reading Morning Star it also describes them as having blue glowing through their skin.

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 5 comments Ragnar's size...

In Golden Son it says he has a meter-long shock of hair that hangs to the MIDDLE of his back. That's about 40 inches or 3 1/3 feet from the top of his head to the middle of his back. Maybe 10 feet tall?

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane | 10 comments now I am picturing the difference in size between the Reds and Ragnar as the difference between the humans and the avatars in the movie Avatar except Ragnar as bulkier.

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 2 comments I believe Ragnar is described in the earlier chapters of Morning Star as being 8 feet tall.